News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 887     0 

Downtown Honda Acura (47 Eastern Ave at Cherry, 4s, Plaston Architects)

Good question. There's no proposal yet for the 354 Richmond St E property that Centre Honda left, but as it is closer in than the new Honda property, I imagine that it won't be too long before we see a site review request.

And maybe they can class the place up with one of these:

[video=youtube;AArsrcX6yCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AArsrcX6yCs[/video]

That could probably pass as the public art contribution.

Last edited:
Good question. There's no proposal yet for the 354 Richmond St E property that Centre Honda left, but as it is closer in than the new Honda property, I imagine that it won't be too long before we see a site review request.

That lot was listed for sale in the newspaper a few months back. I also saw them doing core samples on the site around the same time.

Seems like a great pity to put up car dealerships here as this is really becoming a major residential area but I guess (some) people want cars and one day they will move elsewhere.
Not really disagreeing, but even Eleventh Avenue in Manhattan (up in Hell's Kitchen) is mostly car dealerships. People need cars and buy cars even in big transit-heavy cities. These dealerships don't particularly bother me as they can always move somewhere else when the demographics/economics change enough. For now though, it's fine. Keeping the buildings somewhat urban may be the bigger concern now.

Not really disagreeing, but even Eleventh Avenue in Manhattan (up in Hell's Kitchen) is mostly car dealerships. People need cars and buy cars even in big transit-heavy cities. These dealerships don't particularly bother me as they can always move somewhere else when the demographics/economics change enough. For now though, it's fine. Keeping the buildings somewhat urban may be the bigger concern now.
Yes, there are car dealerships in many of the very smart London squares so it IS possible to have a dealership and yet maintain the 'urban fabric". At least the 'Acura block' has very little surface parking so it ought not to look too much like a giant surface parking lot. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the City to develop enough in that area to se the dealerships and the storage place at Eastern and Cherry do not make economic sense and they move elsewhere.

A wider angled shot from the Canary District web cam today. A lot of steel going up on the roof. Are we in for blank white walls that are twice as high as the current ones?

HondaDealership.png

Attachments

• HondaDealership.png
    HondaDealership.png
    654 KB · Views: 809
yep, the acura is adding another 2 floors of car parking by the looks of it. The acura will be in the southern structure going up now, so when walking along the street you should only see the dealership fronts. (other than Cherry, which has an empty lot between the building and the street)

That Downtown Acura dealership has been in need of an upgrade for many many years. I'm glad to hear that it is finally getting a new home.

That Downtown Acura dealership has been in need of an upgrade for many many years. I'm glad to hear that it is finally getting a new home.
You might not be so happy when you look at the plans for the Acura-Sobey site. Though the currently listed plans are, apparently, being redone by a new architect as they were (to be diplomatic) not well received by the planners or the neighbourhood.

Jan 22
NOTE MODS:: Honda Downtown (47 Eastern Ave, Honda Motor Company Ltd, 15s, Plaston Architects)

15750230933_5fbb38fb5f_b.jpg

16183998089_f8140250ea_b.jpg

16370211685_a664aa1ac5_b.jpg

15747773024_226b5a1491_b.jpg

Jan 22
NOTE MODS:: Honda Downtown (47 Eastern Ave, Honda Motor Company Ltd, 15s, Plaston Architects)

Curious to know where the 15s figure was sourced from?

Back