News   May 13, 2024
 253     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 648     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 661     0 

Dion expresses support for preferential voting

Maybe I have been watching and listening to Dion more than you; I would say that he understands and speaks English. As I stated earlier, his expression is not perfect. I'm sure he's quite sensitive to the fact that his lack of perfect pronunciation may be upsetting to some people who are sensitive to such things.

Do I think his his language skills should be better? Yes. But I don' think it's an election issues. You do.

I agree that it shouldn't be a major election issue, but I see at the doors and with friends and acquaintances that his English is a huge issue. I've received lots of comments like "How can you grow up in Canada and not speak English?" and "I moved here and learned English. Why can't he?" Obviously this shows a bit of a lack of understanding of Quebec and French as an official language, but it's literally the number one issue I get at the doors.

Obviously this shows a bit of a lack of understanding of Quebec and French as an official language, but it's literally the number one issue I get at the doors.

I see it as fair game. How electable are anglos with poor french in Quebec? So why can't anglophones in Ontario penalize a Quebecer with poor english? Hopefully, this will teach the Liberals to stop relying solely on Quebec for its leaders. They might be in real trouble if Harper is followed by a moderate with better language skills...like Peter MacKay.

Keith: I'd say pundits are split 50-50 these days saying that Dion's English is better than Harper's French. Harper has improved significantly since 2006 or 2004, so it's fair to say Dion's English is better than Harper's French when he first became leader of the CPC.

Secondly, there is the matter of Dion's hearing impairment. It's hard to say how much that affects his ability to speak English, but I'm willing to cut him some slack over it. Reminds me of people mocking Chretien's polio deformity.

Secondly, there is the matter of Dion's hearing impairment. It's hard to say how much that affects his ability to speak English, but I'm willing to cut him some slack over it. Reminds me of people mocking Chretien's polio deformity.

Hardly the case. Nobody has brought up his hearing impairment at all. What's being criticized is his speaking abilities not his listening/comprehension abilities.

You are right that Dion's English is better than Harper's French but you need English to get elected in Canada much more than you need French. In picking a leader, the Liberals seem to have completely ignored electability. I hope they've learned their lesson....

Hearing impairments do make it difficult to learn to speak other languages.

I grew up in Quebec where poor French among anglos was typical, and poor English among francophones was not at all unusual. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

Hearing impairments do make it difficult to learn to speak other languages.

Fair enough. But to compare Dion's difficulty with English and the reaction of voters, to the nasty attacks on Chretien is quite a stretch. You were insinuating that there is a sinister plot on to poke fun at Dion's impairments. Nobody's done anything of the sought. For better or for worse, he's had difficulty connecting with the public, and much of that has to do with his own issues, not the Conservative spin campaign.

You are right that Dion's English is better than Harper's French but you need English to get elected in Canada much more than you need French. In picking a leader, the Liberals seem to have completely ignored electability. I hope they've learned their lesson....
The thing is, you don't need to pick Quebecers with thick French accents as your chosen leader (of whatever party) from Quebec. Mulroney, Trudeau, Martin... were all representing Quebec ridings, and had no French-accented English.

the truth is if the situation was reversed, the Liberals would have easily won the election.

the truth is if the situation was reversed, the Liberals would have easily won the election.
All the Liberals needed was a charismatic leader from outside of Quebec, with excellent, fluent English and sufficient Harper-like French, and all of Ontario and the Maritimes would have been guaranteed Liberal, plus some out west and a few in Quebec, and then you'd have a Chreitien-era majority for the Libs. It's amazing that the Libs picked someone the polar opposite of this ideal candidate.

really Harper is weak now but I think he will still easily win a minority govt.

However he needed a majority and with the economy getting worse, he will become more unpopular and will be very easy to take down soon.

I think Dion will be tossed and either Igantieff or Rae will try to take take over.

I expected a Liberal Civil war starting after this election.

Most Liberals are relieved that they thought they would be destroyed and Harper would win a majority.

Now they will do rather well and still hold most of the seats in Ontario and Atlantic Canada and hold onto their seats in Quebec.

Imo I think the next Liberal leader should from Ontario because I think the Liberals can easily wun 70-90 seats in Ontario and that type of man would be popular in Atlantic Canada.

I think there a reason why people are asking Dalton to run for Liberal Leader. I am certain he would get 90-100 seats in Ontario compared to Harper who clearly shows a disdain for Ontario.

Add in the Atlantic and some from Quebec and the other part of the country you easily won a strong minority.

Back