News   May 14, 2024
 643     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 423     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 476     0 

Dion expresses support for preferential voting

I'm not sure. In my riding of Toronto Centre Rosedale, it wouldn't matter if Pol Pot was the Liberal candidate, my neighbours would continue to vote Liberal no matter what.

And all the more so after the Tory-candidate kerfuffle.

And all the more so after the Tory-candidate kerfuffle.
It wouldn't matter if the most popular Conservative candidate was running, the riding would still vote Liberal.

I've read that some think the candidate was a plant, or at least a prankster.

BTW, why do we use the old PC term Tory for the CPCs?

Sir, John McDonald could be running there and still lose...

He quickly modified his plan: “You’re not obligated to have a fourth choice.”
Dion made a funny!

It's really beginning to fill me with regret that Dion likely won't be elected. He really is proposing such a strong set of policies..
What the Liberals need is Dion's policies combined with a leader who can actually sell them. I really hope Gerard Kennedy wins the next leadership campaign. The difference between him and Dion is like night and day.

Its not worth waiting another few years to have another convention, the Liberals already cleaned up IMO. Dion is about as bookworm and policy oriented as you can get, and that's where politics should be oriented from. I'm tired of rockstar candidates.
That's the problem, he's a bookworm! The sad thing is people eat up the sound bites and they're easily scared into voting for bad policies. Either that or they fall for rockstar candidates. Harper isn't the latter but he's become pretty good at the former. Dion isn't either.

It wouldn't matter if the most popular Conservative candidate was running, the riding would still vote Liberal.
Well that's because when it comes down to it, federal elections deal with nationwide issues, and people vote more for the leader or the party's policies than for the local candidate.

I agree. I can see the Liberals falling in behind Ignatief, if anyone. I could see John Manley doing well, but he is rather conservative for the whole party to be satisfied with him as leader.

I almost wonder if they would have been better off had Martin stayed on.

I agree. I can see the Liberals falling in behind Ignatief, if anyone. I could see John Manley doing well, but he is rather conservative for the whole party to be satisfied with him as leader.

I almost wonder if they would have been better off had Martin stayed on.

My colleague had a theory about Martin making a comeback. I would love that.

What they need to is to reposition themselves on the centre-right to compete with the Conservatives for votes. There is no point competing on the left. Competing close to the centre would push the Conservatives further to the right, where they would lose.....

If Martin tried to return, among the first words to be uttered by politicians and pundits would be "sponsorship scandal." That has been stuck to him.

It will be interesting to see who shows up for the Liberal leadership after this election, because Dion is not going to become PM.

Sad to say, but it would appear that one thing generating interest in this election is seeing how bad the Liberals lose.

If Martin tried to return, among the first words to be uttered by politicians and pundits would be "sponsorship scandal." That has been stuck to him.
Yes it has, even though both he and Chretien have been cleared of any wrongdoing (belatedly in the case of Chretien).

Of course, but you still can hear remarks about "billion-dollar boondoggles" as well. Cynics in politics presume guilt first.

Rae is not a big player in the party. Just a MP, who's a loser from the leadership race and competes only with Harris as the most hated Ontario Premier of all time. Dion is the leader, and it is Dion who should be travelling and campaigning nationwide, while MPs should be campaigning in their riding.

So, Beez, being such an expert, how many campaigns have you run?

So, Beez, being such an expert, how many campaigns have you run?
I've never claimed to be an expert in anything, nor to have run in any campaigns. What I do know though, is that unless your MP has good reason for staying away, he/she should be in their riding canvassing for votes, not sending their minions.

Back