News   May 13, 2024
 740     0 

Dion expresses support for preferential voting

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something I came across today, that others may find interesting:

From a National Post article:

…[Dion] would favour a preferential voting system, where voters rank the candidates in an election from most desirable to least.

“You would go ‘first choice is Garth Turner, Liberal. My second choice is Green. My third: NDP. And my fourth, OK, Conservative,’ †Mr. Dion says.

He quickly modified his plan: “You’re not obligated to have a fourth choice.â€

Found via this blog.

It's really beginning to fill me with regret that Dion likely won't be elected. He really is proposing such a strong set of policies..

The tories are running a very "dumb-down" campaign and it is working because Dion cannot effectively respond to the the Conservative policies.

Expect a much more "dumb-down" policy from the liberals in the next election.

It's really beginning to fill me with regret that Dion likely won't be elected. He really is proposing such a strong set of policies..
That's why he's making stronger policy statements, in the hope that if you throw enough, something is bound to stick.

Interestingly, Bob Rae's minions dropped by our place over the weekend. My wife's first reaction when opening the door was to ask where Mr. Rae was, and to say that if he wants her vote, he could at least show up in the riding to ask for it, and reminded Rae's groupies that Bob Rae is not a cabinet minister nor anything special beyond an MP and thus he shouldn't be running around the national stage trying to trump up national votes, but should instead stick to his riding and let the leader (Dion) take the national campaign, and that this lack of Rae's presence in preference for national issues demonstrates that Rae will likely be unavailable and disconnected from his riding once elected. Sounds about right to me.

Good talk....but its not in their platform. And I find it highly suspicious that now that the Liberals are in the dumps, they are all of a sudden talking about PR and preferential ballots (much as I like the latter). How come they didn't speak up during the Chretien years when they were taking nice majorities with 40% of the popular vote.

Check the date... this is from late August. This is not a Hail Mary.

While not in their platform (probably too controversial to put in the platform--a complex debate that won't be decided in a couple of weeks), they can still move on it via referendum.

Ok, Keith. I seems you are harbouring a resentment or grudge of sorts against the Liberals. But purely based on their plans, I don't think there is any real comparison between them and what else is on offer.

Harper's electoral reform vision: an elected Senate. Only, like his fixed election date law, any such provision for an elected Senate would be completely meaningless/toothless or unconstitutional.

And to be fair, Martin did make electoral reform something of an issue. Unfortunately everything was a priority and he didn't have the time or the momentum to get around to it.

That's why he's making stronger policy statements, in the hope that if you throw enough, something is bound to stick.

Interestingly, Bob Rae's minions dropped by our place over the weekend. My wife's first reaction when opening the door was to ask where Mr. Rae was, and to say that if he wants her vote, he could at least show up in the riding to ask for it, and reminded Rae's groupies that Bob Rae is not a cabinet minister nor anything special beyond an MP and thus he shouldn't be running around the national stage trying to trump up national votes, but should instead stick to his riding and let the leader (Dion) take the national campaign, and that this lack of Rae's presence in preference for national issues demonstrates that Rae will likely be unavailable and disconnected from his riding once elected. Sounds about right to me.

Beez, from what you've said, I imagine it wouldn't matter if Rae was there, as your wife has already decided. Furthermore, it is hardly unusual for the big players in a party to participate in the national campaign. Jason Kenney, for instance, didn't even deign to open a campaign office until well into this election campaign, much less visit his riding. He was much too busy reading a teleprompter from the Tory War Machine. Should the residents of Calgary SW feel the same way, or should they take one for the team because their MP happens to be PM and thus unable/unable to do much door-knocking or glad-handing in his own riding?

How come they didn't speak up during the Chretien years when they were taking nice majorities with 40% of the popular vote.

when you have absolute power, why would you do anything to undermine it...

They did with their infighting in the early part of this decade and it cost them dearly.

Liberals had a hold for another ten years imo.

I would not expect Harper to bring in such a policy if he wins a majority.

Beez, from what you've said, I imagine it wouldn't matter if Rae was there, as your wife has already decided. Furthermore, it is hardly unusual for the big players in a party to participate in the national campaign.
Rae is not a big player in the party. Just a MP, who's a loser from the leadership race and competes only with Harris as the most hated Ontario Premier of all time. Dion is the leader, and it is Dion who should be travelling and campaigning nationwide, while MPs should be campaigning in their riding.
Should the residents of Calgary SW feel the same way, or should they take one for the team because their MP happens to be PM and thus unable/unable to do much door-knocking or glad-handing in his own riding?
Their MP is the party leader, and thus they should expect him to be campaigning around the nation, over and above any usual absences expected from having the PM as your MP. The comparison with Rae is not relevant, as Rae hold no office or responsbility above being a MP. Unlike Dion, Harper doesn't rely on other MPs to campaign nationally for him.

I really wonder why they didn't throw this in their platform. It's a great idea. And certainly better than several other ideas they have.

You're wrong on both counts, Beez. Rae is the foreign affairs critic, so he does have a position.

Also note that the PM isn't an 'official' position, per se. The constitution makes no provision for the office. Same goes for parties.

In other words, we don't have a presidential electoral system...

Harper is relying on other CPC MPs to campaign for him nationally, including Jason Kenny, who spent a substantial amount of the campaign in Ottawa and not his own Alberta riding.

Dion really is a fresh face in the Liberal party. People should consider that fact before even thinking of giving Harper another minority government, or worse a majority.

Its not worth waiting another few years to have another convention, the Liberals already cleaned up IMO. Dion is about as bookworm and policy oriented as you can get, and that's where politics should be oriented from. I'm tired of rockstar candidates.

Dion really is a fresh face in the Liberal party. People should consider that fact before even thinking of giving Harper another minority government, or worse a majority.

Dion is not a "fresh face." He's been in the party for years and won the leadership through a compromise.

Although not thrilled by him, I am far more convinced that Ignatieff would have been a more able leader at this point. Sure, he would have made all the gaffs of any new leader; he would have strayed off topic and flip flopped on things - as he is prone to do. Add to that, some of his early positions on certain issues were quite dubious. But at the same time, I highly doubt Harper would have thrilled at the idea of meeting him in a debate. When he stays on topic, Ignatieff can be very effective.

Rae would also have made a better leader than Dion. He is a capable politician, and one who has learned much over time. But he would never find great Liberal support in Ontario. As the once NDP Premier of the province, he has many living enemies. People rarely forgive in politics, and the provincial Liberals (who are pretty much the same organization as the federal Liberals), will not forgive him.

Rae would also have made a better leader than Dion. He is a capable politician, and one who has learned much over time. But he would never find great Liberal support in Ontario. As the once NDP Premier of the province, he has many living enemies. People rarely forgive in politics, and the provincial Liberals (who are pretty much the same organization as the federal Liberals), will not forgive him.

I'm not so sure. It's pretty well known that he cornered what remained of the "Chretien contingent" in the leadership race: wily politicos, they. And I think there's some forgiveness along the lines of "good premier; awful party"...

But Rae would never find great Liberal support in Ontario.
I'm not sure. In my riding of Toronto Centre Rosedale, it wouldn't matter if Pol Pot was the Liberal candidate, my neighbours would continue to vote Liberal no matter what. Much of Ontario is the same, they don't care who the candidate is, they just vote Liberal.

What Rae would have helped with is gaining support outside the usual sheep-following Liberal Ontario voters, and instead gained support in Quebec, BC, SK and MB and the Maritimes.

Back