News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Cycling: Segregated Bike Lanes on Eglinton

I hope so. Buried hydro lines are something every other industrialized country does without a second thought. And many not so industrialized countries. Toronto is content with an ugly mess of overhead utilities. There's no excuse for it, especially when the street is being rebuilt anyway.

The central handful of blocks of Eglinton are mercifully overhead wire free. Let's hope that gets expanded.

Just to play devil's advocate though:
San Francisco: http://goo.gl/maps/CB8Bl
Boston: http://goo.gl/maps/uSm8U
NYC: http://goo.gl/maps/qq6jb
Chicago: http://goo.gl/maps/J6Vc2
Montreal: http://goo.gl/maps/7XlAZ
Los Angeles: http://goo.gl/maps/d1umx

Toronto Hydro rules out burying power lines as ice-storm recovery drags on
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-ice-storm-recovery-drags-on/article16109696/

Bike lanes in the east would make a tremendous difference, but that doesn't seem to be the plan. From lower Scarborough, Eglinton is the only direct way to mid-town, but it's not a doable ride for anyone who isn't confident riding in traffic, especially around the exits to the Don Valley. In travelling across Toronto side routes away from heavy traffic are often restricted due to railroads and ravines. From where I used to live (Brimley between Eglinton and St. Clair) the alternatives to Eglinton would be the Danforth, St. Clair/O'Conner crossing the Parkway at Donlands/Laird and then through Davisville, or taking the recreational paths of Taylor-Massey Creek through Sunnybrooke. All probably add an additional half-hour to the trip, and the last can't be done at night. Really, bike paths are unneeded between Laird and Duplex, because you can then go up a couple streets to Broadway, an unbroken street with little traffic.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...n_calls_for_150_million_in_streetscaping.html
Eglinton LRT plan calls for $150 million in streetscaping
Toronto has about 10 years to come up with the money for a greener, more cycling- and pedestrian-friendly streetscape.

By: Tess Kalinowski Transportation reporter, Published on Fri Apr 11 2014
Residents seldom heap praise on city hall. But there were plenty of kudos this week for the city’s plans to beautify Eglinton Ave. after the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT opens in 2020, including construction of what would be Toronto’s longest bike lanes.
Because the existing bus lanes will no longer be needed, city planners and transportation staff are recommending that road space be redistributed among buffered sidewalk-height bike lanes, wider sidewalks and more greenery on the 11-kilometre stretch between Black Creek Dr. and Brentcliffe Rd. That’s where the LRT will run in a tunnel under the road.
“This will be the longest bike lane in Toronto. A chance to redesign a whole street doesn’t come around very often. This is Toronto’s chance to get it right,†North Toronto Collegiate Institute student Matthew Gerry told council’s public works committee on Wednesday.
A report on the vastly revitalized streetscape was quickly approved.
One of the few concerns from members of the public who came to speak to the politicians was the $150 million that will be needed in a decade to realize the lively vision rendered in artist’s drawings.
“We’re addressing the need for funding but it all looks very seat-of-the-pants. Let’s get serious about finding funding sources,†said Councillor John Parker, a member of the works committee.
Metrolinx, which is building the Crosstown with $5.3 billion in provincial funding, has committed about $100 million to rebuilding the street to the city’s standards around the LRT stations. The new street design will be incorporated into the reconstruction of the road once the stations are built, said John Mende, director of transportation infrastructure management.
The $150 million in city money won’t be needed until a couple of years after the LRT opens. That’s when the city will fill in the mid-block sections between the stations with larger tree plantings, wider sidewalks, more street furniture and parking lay-bys.
“All of Eglinton is essentially going to be a construction site so we can’t go in to do work that overlaps with Metrolinx contractors,†Mende said. “That’s why we have to wait until Metrolinx is finished and gone before we can start the mid-block section.â€
Most of the 11-kilometre tunnelled section of Eglinton will maintain four lanes of car traffic and curbside parking in the off-peak hours. The stretch that will go down to three car lanes is the least congested central area between Avenue Rd. and Mount Pleasant Rd.
Mende admitted that even he had to convince himself “that narrowing that section would work from a traffic operations perspective.â€
“I envisioned Yonge and Eglinton to be very busy. I thought the volumes reflected that. But they don’t. The congestion in that area is because of the conflicts, the turning movements, of all the pedestrian traffic . . . not the volume of traffic,†he said, admitting the data is counterintuitive.
Traffic volumes are much higher where Eglinton connects with the Don Valley Parkway, Allen Rd., Black Creek Dr. and Leslie St.
City traffic counts showed 3,188 cars at Yonge and Eglinton in the morning and afternoon rush, compared with 8,125 at Allen Rd.
The plan goes to council this spring. If it’s approved, an environmental assessment would go to the province for approval.
Metrolinx is also giving the city $60 million toward public realm improvements, money that will go to enhancements beyond the bare city standards. That will be split among all the light rail projects the province is funding, including Eglinton, Sheppard Ave. E. and Finch West. About $1.5 million will go toward building larger tree pits for plantings on Eglinton, said Mende.
Most trips on Eglinton are more than 4 kilometres and more than half are by car. But 21 per cent of Eglinton trips are under 2 kilometres making them ripe for conversion to active transportation modes with cycling and walking amenities.

I wonder if they could use the section 37 money to help pay for it.

How would S37 money be appropriate? It will be needed to fill the community deficits exposed by putting a huge number of new residents into that area. Streetscaping should be part of the give back to the community for the disruption they've endured as part of project cost.

We worked for over a year with the communities along Eglinton to generate a thoughtful, inclusive, and constructive dialogue about what was best for the street. Incredible, never-before-seen in Toronto levels of consensus were reached by all stakeholders.

...and now John Tory is coming out to oppose the whole thing in his 'war against gridlock' - even though the bike lane scenario hugely increases Eglinton's carrying capacity compared to what is there today. I feel ashamed of having considered supporting the guy back when he announced his candidacy. He is a walking disaster and might in the long term be more damaging to the city than the Fords (assuming these don't get re-elected).

We worked for over a year with the communities along Eglinton to generate a thoughtful, inclusive, and constructive dialogue about what was best for the street. Incredible, never-before-seen in Toronto levels of consensus were reached by all stakeholders.

...and now John Tory is coming out to oppose the whole thing in his 'war against gridlock' - even though the bike lane scenario hugely increases Eglinton's carrying capacity compared to what is there today. I feel ashamed of having considered supporting the guy back when he announced his candidacy. He is a walking disaster and might in the long term be more damaging to the city than the Fords (assuming these don't get re-elected).

none of the candidates impress me. BUt I wish Stintz would just quit so that it would become a three man(woman) race. As a liberal I am not happy with the things chow is saying either. Again this looks like an election where I vote against someone not for someone.

Here's a link to John Tory's position against Eglinton Connects:
http://www.johntory.ca/fighting_gridlock_initiative

5. NOT PROCEEDING WITH THE $150 MILLION “EGLINTONCONNECTS” PROPOSAL, WHICH WILL INCREASE TRAFFIC CONGESTION BY REDUCING TRAFFIC LANES.

The Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit Line (LRT) line is the largest of its kind in Canada. Adding onto this enormous transit project - with the $150 million “Eglinton Connects” proposal - is costly and it is clear that the traffic implications have been inadequately considered.

With the construction of the LRT, the existing reserved bus lanes on Eglinton Avenue will no longer be required and the City is looking at various options for the space including increased cyclist infrastructure, wider sidewalks or more trees. The proposed price tag for these options is $150 million with no funding allocated nor identified beyond incremental spending increases in future budgets.

The proposal also requires that the four-lane (two in each direction) configuration now being implemented across the project be reduced to three lanes total (one each way plus one turning lane) for the central portion of Eglinton.

Taxpayers expect their leaders to not only protect their money but to spend it on smart choices that will help grow this city and deliver on its most pressing priorities. Eglinton is going to benefit from the extraordinary investment now underway on the Crosstown project.

none of the candidates impress me. BUt I wish Stintz would just quit so that it would become a three man(woman) race. As a liberal I am not happy with the things chow is saying either. Again this looks like an election where I vote against someone not for someone.

Nothing in particular against Chow, but she is not terribly inspiring as a leader. She's the second-weakest on the DRL (next to Ford). But Tory and Stintz are both seemingly chasing the Lawrence Park BMW/Land Rover vote to the exclusion of much of the city. Unless Soknacki pulls ahead, my vote is parked with Chow. Still, I'll feel much better voting for her than I did voting for Smitherman.

It's still really, really early. By July I'll have a better idea how I want to vote, of course.

Last edited:
All I ask for is that the next mayor of Toronto be honest, have an ambitious and progressive vision for the city that benefits both the suburbs and downtown, and works with facts not ideology.

TBH the DRL could very well have funding by July anyway after the Liberals announcement a few days ago. It may very well be well on its way by the time we actually have to hit the polls anyway, and its not like Chow has said she wants it cancelled or something, simply that we shouldn't only be focusing on magic bullet solutions that are 10 years away. There are many other solutions available much sooner that can make just as large a difference.

Besides, I feel she will be most open to allowing more capital expenditures for more general stuff needed to improve TTC service as well.

First question is who are "we"?

The second question is was the consensus that reducing 4 lanes of vehicular traffic to 2 lanes in order to provide protected bike lanes, wider sidewalks and more trees a great idea? Really?

It is mid winter, an alarm sounds in a fire hall on Eglinton Avenue, the fire crews scramble, board their vehicles and start to respond to the emergency but are brought to a halt at the end of their driveway because the one lane of traffic in both directions is plugged solid with traffic all day long. There is no one on the bike lanes or sidewalk but they are not available to mortals.

It is mid summer, a cyclist has a massive heart attack and an ambulance is dispatched. They never reach the poor cyclist in time because the roads are jammed. Traffic is supposed to pull over for emergency vehicles you say. In this configuration there is no over into which to pull.

Last edited:
eglinton will be 4 lanes of traffic for the vast majority of the route, and at no point would it be 2 lanes of traffic, shorting to 3 lanes for a small section. IDK where the hell you are getting 2 lanes from.

also, 3.5 meter lanes leave plenty of space to pull over and let a fire truck or ambulance through down the middle of the road. Cars are rarely more than 2 meters wide. how the hell do you think it works in cities and towns across canada that operate on 2 lane roads?

Last edited:
The proposal also requires that the four-lane (two in each direction) configuration now being implemented across the project be reduced to three lanes total (one each way plus one turning lane) for the central portion of Eglinton.

If we wanted 3 lanes on Eglinton, why not just save the $4B and built the LRT in the median like it is elsewhere?

because its only 3 lanes from Mt. Pleasant to Avenue, and you honestly think the entire reason we are paying $4 billion or whatever to bury it is to save a singular car travel lane up top? no. absolutely no.

you are looking at it as 4 lanes for 9.5 of the 11km of the buried section.. Whats more, the 3 lane section is considered extremely low traffic. Even with the lane removal it will likely move better than today as there will be no buses. (of which there are so many today that it has almost become a joke and essentially clogs up an entire lane anyway)

Also, the 3 lane plan was selected by the local community, a 4 lane plan was presented that would allow the 4 lane stretch to stretch the entire road. Why would we cancel a project that has full support of the community it runs through and does not serve a regional purpose?

Last edited:

Back