News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Cycling: Segregated Bike Lanes on Eglinton

Perhaps the thread title could be changed to "Eglinton Connects streetscape improvements" or something since it's more than just bike lanes?

Streetscape plan for Eglinton LRT gets interim approval

As work continues on digging for a light rail line under Eglinton, plans for a grand streetscape, with extra space for cyclists and pedestrians up above, moved one step closer to fruition.

Toronto`s Public Works Committee voted unanimously Wednesday to seek an environmental assessment on the proposed design and also to ask Metrolinx, the agency overseeing the LRT construction, to incorporate the design into its plans.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//new...on-lrt-gets-interim-approval/article17904822/

Perhaps the thread title could be changed to "Eglinton Connects streetscape improvements" or something since it's more than just bike lanes?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//new...on-lrt-gets-interim-approval/article17904822/

First commenter "sailorman 21 minutes ago
from the article: "...reserved bus lanes will no longer be needed once the LRT is there, freeing up some space."
-----------------
Why isn't that space reverting to use by cars and trucks? If the idea behind the LRT is to ease the flow of traffic, there won't be any easing of traffic if you also remove the lanes of roadway!"

Sounds like everyone is on board for a more urban Eglinton......

About the road spacing... if St Claires lanes were reduced to make room for the ROW, than Eglinton should be able to be reduced for a proper sized bike lane.

The St. Clair lane width doesn't seem to be a problem, except for cycling. If a cyclist rides far enough from the curb to clear sewer grates, which is safe and normal, a car can't safely pass without changing lanes. Naturally, that won't be an issue on Eglinton.

My understanding is that st. Clair has very little truck traffic in the portions that are 2.8 meters wide, Eglinton still has a lot of industrial sites around it and it's tough for 53' trailers to navigate lanes that small. (Not impossible, but difficult enough that it has been decided that it should be avoided) st. Clair was an exception to the rule, not a standard.

Skinning them down to 3.2 meters is probably realistic though, that would give an additional 60 cm to the bike lanes.

For those who aren't familiar with Eglinton near Yonge: the bus lanes are already closed in many parts due to condo construction. More lanes are often shut down for either repair/construction or delivery vehicles.

The amount of buses on the road is insanely high, you always see multiple buses on the road, and they are very high frequency. I would imagine that replacing all those buses with the underground LRT would already be giving a lot of road space to cars.

The amount of buses on the road is insanely high, you always see multiple buses on the road, and they are very high frequency. I would imagine that replacing all those buses with the underground LRT would already be giving a lot of road space to cars.
I get the sinking feeling that most or all of those buses will continue to terminate at the Yonge subway because the riders will not want to transfer at Leslie or Laird only to transfer again at Yonge.

More on topic. With the exemption of the Spandex clad enthusiasts, with whom I have no problem, it must be noted and accepted that cyclists in the 'burbs ride on the sidewalk and they are very few and far between. They are not sufficiently numerous to even consider reserving a lane of precious road space for their use.

More on topic. With the exemption of the Spandex clad enthusiasts, with whom I have no problem, it must be noted and accepted that cyclists in the 'burbs ride on the sidewalk and they are very few and far between. They are not sufficiently numerous to even consider reserving a lane of precious road space for their use.
I disagree. I'm not a 'Spandex clad enthusiast' but I have ridden on Eglinton quite a bit between Yonge and Laird and it's pretty scary. I refuse to ride on the sidewalk because going 30km/h on the sidewalk is even more dangerous. These bike lanes will make riding on Eglinton a lot safer, and will encourage people to ride bikes on Eglinton.

Do you mean Eglinton is the "'burbs"? What part?

I get the sinking feeling that most or all of those buses will continue to terminate at the Yonge subway because the riders will not want to transfer at Leslie or Laird only to transfer again at Yonge.

My understanding is that the current plan is that buses would go to the bus bay at Don Mills station or to Laird station, they wouldn't go along Eglinton.

Also Eglinton East 34 will obviously not be needed anymore, or it will run once every 30 minutes or something, and that line has a huge amount of buses. The 2nd most frequent line is probably Lawrence East which I think will connect with Don Mills station's bus bay.

Based on this: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/laird-station, Leslie and Leaside buses will be combined and also not run on Eglinton. (I'm assuming it'll go south on Leslie until Eglinton, go to Laird, then continue south on Laird to the Danforth)

Any plans to bury the hydro lines as part of the "streetscape improvements"?

I hope so. Buried hydro lines are something every other industrialized country does without a second thought. And many not so industrialized countries. Toronto is content with an ugly mess of overhead utilities. There's no excuse for it, especially when the street is being rebuilt anyway.

The central handful of blocks of Eglinton are mercifully overhead wire free. Let's hope that gets expanded.

Last edited:

Back