News   May 03, 2024
 566     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 360     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 201     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

We're not in Portland Oregon,.... but much closer to home,..... "Korea Town business owners ‘concerned’ about Bloor bike lanes’ impact" ,..... "Maria Suarez, who owns Ave Maria, wasn’t exactly won over by the cyclists’ coffee “love-in.” In an interview later that day, she told the Star that her sales are down 40 per cent since the bike lane went in, and neighbouring businesses are seeing similar declines."
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-concerned-about-bloor-bike-lanes-impact.html
There can be many other factors as to why a business has increased or decreased sales.

The actual data that has been collected to date shows that opinions are split. Again, it's opinions for the most part so far. Data on actual economic impact is still being collected. http://www.tcat.ca/projects/faq-bloor-street-west-bike-lane-pilot-economic-impact-study/

If the result for bike lanes on Bloor are the cause of lower sales for some businesses, then perhaps Toronto is doing something wrong in the way the lanes are instituted?
CAILYNN KLINGBEIL
Special to The Globe and Mail
March 24, 2017 June 27, 2016

Outside Alforno Bakery & Café, the newest addition to Teatro Group's seven Calgary restaurants, there's a bright yellow compressor hose and accompanying "free air" sign, ample parking for bicycles, and a sticker on the front window in support of the cycle track network.

The café, located on the 7th Street cycle track – downtown Calgary's first separated on-street bike lane – opened in January. Inside, a vintage Royale bicycle hangs above a stylish bar for coffee condiments, while customers on two wheels can use a "Cyclists Welcome" loyalty card for a discount on their order.

"We saw and embraced what the community was participating in, which was an active lifestyle and very active use of bike lanes," says Karen Kho, service director for Teatro Group, of the café's bike-friendly additions. Such touches aren't just meant to encourage customers on bicycles to stop by, Ms. Kho says, they're for employees too, many of whom cycle to work.

Alforno isn't alone in its bike-friendly approach; small businesses in cities across Canada are increasingly catering to cyclists. Yes, businesses publicly denouncing bike lanes are still common, but shops, bars and restaurants are starting to back bike infrastructure and reach out to a new and growing customer base.

"There's been a sea change in the attitude about cyclists and frankly the value that the cycling community and the cycling consumer is bringing to the marketplace," says Charles Gauthier, president and chief executive officer of the Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association. "Businesses are responding by making it clear they're catering to them."

In Vancouver, some businesses decided not to renew their leases since downtown bike lanes arrived on Hornby Street and Dunsmuir Street in 2010, but Mr. Gauthier says most have adapted to the bike lanes and accepted them. Others, such as the Burrard, a boutique hotel with free bike rentals, are starting to go a step further, he says, and market to cyclists.

Mr. Gauthier's own organization has shifted its stance on bike lanes. In 2010, the BIA raised concerns over the loss of 170 on-street parking spaces and how that would affect area businesses' bottom lines. But an assumption held by many merchants – that most customers arrive by car – turned out to be false, Mr. Gauthier says. A 2011 economic impact study commissioned by the city and other associations, including the Downtown Vancouver BIA, showed most people walked, cycled or took transit to get downtown. Just 20 per cent of customers on Hornby and Dunsmuir arrived by car. [...]
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...30365164/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Do you have anything other than gut instinct that is prompting you to continue to make that assertion?

The fact that John Tory will have a significantly harder time getting re-elected if he upsets the 40,000 people who live in that area and voted for him in 2014. This isn't a soon-to-retire councillor's pet project that area residents are mostly indifferent to. This is a top priority for the people living nearby, and something that hardly anyone in the rest of the city is concerned about.

John Tory isn't Rob Ford. For a mayor who's made his entire brand about upsetting people as little as possible, pulling out the Bloor bike lanes would be pretty shocking. My prediction is they'll be extended west to Dundas, but not east. The odds of the bike lanes being removed are lower than the odds of Doug Ford beating him next year (which are very, very low).

an eastern extension is even more likely if you ask me. The lanes are already planned to be expanded in 2019 from Sherbourne to Church, so the gap to be closed will only be Avenue to Church.

Also Danforth lanes are in serious planning so leaving that gap would be fairly significant.

Remember as well that Tory lives on the lanes. His condo building is right on Bloor Street at Bedford. It is literally his community.

An eastern extension is even more likely if you ask me. The lanes are already planned to be expanded in 2019 from Sherbourne to Church, so the gap to be closed will only be Avenue to Church.

I think there's going to be a lot of objection from businesses on Danforth and in Yorkville, and neither area has a dedicated councillor to gather support in their community and push for the bike lanes. Yorkville falls in the new ward 25, which would be a wide-open seat unless Kristyn Wong-Tam runs there (her home got lumped into the same ward as Joe Cressy's, which doesn't contain Church & Wellesley). Danforth is divided among four different wards in both the old and new maps.

The fact that John Tory will have a significantly harder time getting re-elected if he upsets the 40,000 people who live in that area and voted for him in 2014. This isn't a soon-to-retire councillor's pet project that area residents are mostly indifferent to. This is a top priority for the people living nearby, and something that hardly anyone in the rest of the city is concerned about.

John Tory isn't Rob Ford. For a mayor who's made his entire brand about upsetting people as little as possible, pulling out the Bloor bike lanes would be pretty shocking. My prediction is they'll be extended west to Dundas, but not east. The odds of the bike lanes being removed are lower than the odds of Doug Ford beating him next year (which are very, very low).

In most downtown wards along Bloor bike lane commuter cyclist amount to about 10% sometimes 14% of ward,... and most likely didn't vote for Mayor Tory last time anyways!,... as CycleToronto favoured Olivia Chow.
http://www3.thestar.com/static/googlemaps/100105_bikes.html

This isn't a soon-to-retire councillor's pet project that area residents are mostly indifferent to.

If you're referring to Councillor Filion and ReImaginingYongeStreetStudy,.... you really need to talk to your area residents if you think they're mostly indifferent; the ones I've been talking to are quite passionate about it and forcing change to the ReImaginingYongeStreetStudy! Hint: Forget about bike lanes on Yonge in North York Centre.

As for 26 year veteran Councillor Filion "soon-to-retire",... I certainly don't get that vibe in any discussion with him,.... and we've been thinking he'd retire for the last 20 years! I'm betting Councillor Filion will not only be running in the next election, but he'd win with another landslide victory.

The ones I've been talking to are quite passionate about it and forcing change to the Re-imagining Yonge Street study

I think there's a lot of selection and confirmation bias there.

As for 26 year veteran Councillor Filion "soon-to-retire",... I certainly don't get that vibe in any discussion with him

He's 67 years old. The second oldest councillor if I'm not mistaken. As much as I support the proposal, he's pretty obviously interested in it for his legacy at least as much as he's interested in it for the community benefits.

I think there's a lot of selection and confirmation bias there.

We'll see in a few months won't we,....

He's 67 years old. The second oldest councillor if I'm not mistaken. As much as I support the proposal, he's pretty obviously interested in it for his legacy at least as much as he's interested in it for the community benefits.

Councillor Filion been city councillor in former city of North York and amalgamated city of Toronto for 26 years already,.... his legacy is already set. Look around Ward 23 especially the North York Centre Secondary Plan area,.... every building within the last 26 years have had his fingerprint all over it!

Councillor Filion supports the concept of wider pedestrian sidewalk and streetscape beautification along Yonge Street as promised by ReImagining Yonge Street Study,..... but the promised wider pedestrian sidewalk doesn't seem to be as wide as initially promised,.... regardless of CycleTracks or keeping the rush-hour traffic/parking lanes. Plus, it's about 60 to 100 times safer to place cycling infrastructure along nearby ring roads of Beecroft & Doris.

Councillor Filion supports the concept of wider pedestrian sidewalk and streetscape beautification along Yonge Street as promised by ReImagining Yonge Street Study

This is where I feel like it's just his personal legacy project. Yonge Street through NYCC already has some of the widest sidewalks in all of Toronto but John Filion talks about it like it's some rural wasteland. Beautification would be good - especially extending the tree-lined median north to Finch and south to Avondale - but again, he talks about turning Yonge into "a destination" like it's currently some deserted suburbia.

Plus, it's about 60 to 100 times safer to place cycling infrastructure along nearby ring roads of Beecroft & Doris.

On what basis do those streets provide ten thousand percent more protection?

My prediction is they'll be extended west to Dundas, but not east. The odds of the bike lanes being removed are lower than the odds of Doug Ford beating him next year (which are very, very low).

If they can extend it west to Dundas, it's super-easy to go ever further, to at least High Park. The ROW is super-side there. The Bloor-Dundas Avenue Study (adopted 2009) recommends bike lanes on Bloor.

I would expect Lansdowne to Dundas to be one of the more difficult / controversial sections due to the railway underpasses.

A small shop at Bloor and Bathurst losing 40% of its sales because of a couple of parking spots being lost in the vicinity is the most bullshit claim I have ever heard in my entire life.

It's downright malicious.

Reactions: vic
This is where I feel like it's just his personal legacy project. Yonge Street through NYCC already has some of the widest sidewalks in all of Toronto but John Filion talks about it like it's some rural wasteland. Beautification would be good - especially extending the tree-lined median north to Finch and south to Avondale - but again, he talks about turning Yonge into "a destination" like it's currently some deserted suburbia.

I have to say there are some narrow sidewalk sections, particularly Greenfield to Hollywood, east side.

I take it these may be widened by future development, but I'm not sure if there's been any land assembly to that effect.

In the interim that little section is quite unpleasant as a pedestrian.

The rest, is pretty good.

This half-block is the only section of sidewalk that I'd call narrow, but the development there (Pearl Place Condo) includes a wider sidewalk. There are some other sections that could use a repave, but they're all pretty spacious.

AmnesiaJune, you really need to walk around your area,.... The original pedestrian sidewalk along Yonge Street is generally 6-8 feet wide from the curb with no buffer! It's generally only when there's re-development that you'll see wider pedestrian sidewalk because developer are required to convey a piece of frontage lot of about 10-20 feet wide to the City for wider pedestrian sidewalk.

Since North York Centre Secondary Plan area is only about 70% redeveloped,.... that means about 30% of the properties along Yonge Street in North York are still the old storefronts/strip-plaza that has the old narrow (6-8 feet) sidewalks. For example, from your EmeraldPark condo, the Yonge St sidewalk directly north at 4800 Yonge site is old narrow sidewalk! And Yonge St sidewalk directly south - south of the renovated Shell-gas station is also old narrow sidewalk.

Councillor Filion is focused on wider pedestrian sidewalk to get more favourable restaurants with patios,.... but City Staff & Consultants

BTW, it's City Planning (Jennifer Keesmaat) that talks "destination",...

Plus, it's about 60 to 100 times safer to place cycling infrastructure along nearby ring roads of Beecroft & Doris.

On what basis do those streets provide ten thousand percent more protection?

On the basis of traffic engineering principles,... actually, very basic traffic engineering principles,...

AmnesiaJune, remember I stated cycling infrastructure are 60 to 100 times safer on Doris & Beecroft VS Yonge. When ReImaginging Yonge Street Study make the Doris & Beecroft solutions public,.... I'll be more than happy to prove cycling infrastructure along Doris & Beecroft are 60 to 100 times safer using basic traffic engineering principles,.... as I did to various councillors, City Staff and their consultants. So mark this post, and once they make the Doris & Beecroft solution public,.... I'll prove it's actually 60 to 100 times (or as you'd put it 6,000 to 10,000%) safer than Yonge Street! This is just another example where I out-design City's traffic engineers and their consultants!

Back