News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

CityPlace

What's so desirable about integrating these tall towers into the city anyway? They're conveniently located accommodation for young get-up-and-go types. There are plenty of other housing options for people who crave integration. Better, surely, to accept City Place for what it is than to try and make it into something it never can be.

Something lacking in this city (for many proximity and convenience is key) are jogging routes with comfortable surfaces, interesting features, no car traffic.

Isn't that the goal of the riverside and waterfront trail system? Once the central waterfront project is completed the network would be off the street almost the whole trip from south Etobicoke to the end of the beaches and up many of the river valleys.

I think considering the scale of the project that a bit of continuity is desirable, at least along the major streets. Ideally I think it would be good to have some office space in the mix as well.

I think that the true test is going to be west of Spadina. How they develop that tract of land is going to be key to the success of CityPlace.
There may not be office componets to CityPlace so far, but there are definitly more land uses than in a lot of multi-bilding developments across this city. CityPlace has residential condos, town homes, loft buildings. It has mixed retail (bank, restaurants, goods stores, service stores, grocery store etc), and a daycare. Once the west of Spadina is completed there is to be a park, more retail, and a community centre.

If the retail along Fort York Blvd is developed on more than just the 1st floor, there could be room for doctor or dentist offices in the 2nd or 3rd floor of a podium. Not sure if this has been considered for any of the newer buildings. The connection between West One and the Gallery would have been perfect for this.

The public square between Optima and the SkyDome is a pretty good gathering place for fans attending events at SkyDome, despite the fact that there is another square in front of the CN Tower where most transit-riding fans pass through before entering the stadium. I saw the best demonstration of this at this year's International Bowl- the large contingent of Western Michigan University fans took over the square for their pre-game pep rally. Now that there's some new businesses across Bremner Street, the square has become more attractive.

I'd like to see the square developed further, to make it the Cityplace version of Dundas Square(?). The square already has a water feature (the waterfall that follows the stairs on the west side of SkyDome). It needs some seating and tables. Perhaps add a stage, a playground, and some temporary retail/food stands. The Blue Jays and Argos should relocate some pre/post game activities to this public area.

They do have some pre/post game events in that square. It is pretty dead in the winter, but come summer there is always something going on there. It is rather remarkable how quickly things can be set up and dismantled in this square.

Depending on how Signature is built, there could be the opportunity for this small square being more attractive to crowds. I know it is not going to be the case, but I would like to see the entire block that makes up the sales centre, be covered by the base of Signature. The entrance and an inner court can be accesed via Blue Jay Way, but the Navy Wharf and Bremner Blvd should be build right out to the street with restaurant retail.

The raised area along the Optima brick wall would make a perfect place for summer staged events, like free Shakespeare performances, or other summer series events.

The SkyDome people need to turn that waterfall in the stairs back on. They finally fixed the big waterfall with the fish over by the CN Tower.

I'm a CBC Reporter looking into these reports for a story today (July 9). If you have any first hand experience or can point me to those who do, please contact me at : nhermant@yahoo.com or at (416) 570 0105.

LOL!!!
A CBC reporter with a yahoo address? Working undercover huh? oooh!;)

I find it odd that no one here has heard about leaky CityPlace condos.

There's a zillion other CityPlace problems that would make for much better tv than an old story that's been done so many times about the Vancouver problem. (Maybe this reporter is confused?)

3½ year old bump. It's interesting to see how CityPlace ended up. Much of the criticism it's received in its early stages have now materialized and most of the people I know who lived there in its infancy have now sold and moved on to the suburbs. There was an interesting article with a series of interviews of CityPlace locals a few months ago:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/is-cityplace-toronto’s-next-ghetto/3/

Honestly, most of the criticism I've heard has to do with the quality of construction and not so much the surroundings.

Back