News   May 21, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 760     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 559     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

Has there been any thought of a pedestrian walkway over Spadina? I took a walk around Cityplace last weekend in the evening and while the architecture is dramatic the pedestrian experience in downright scary. Crossing six(?) lanes of traffic even with the pedestrain signal is intimidating & disorienting. You have the sense that while you're trying to figure out which car has your number, a street car while get you.

What are the plans to try and link together the various buildings from a pedestrain perspective? is there a comprehensive list of commercial or non-residential operations planned? I've seen mention of a Daycare Center, Fitness Club, park, of course the current Stadium.

Will there be enough density for the following in some central structure or spread around:
1) Loblaws
2) Odeon multiplex theatre
3) Canada Tire
4) Indigo
5) Shoppers

I'd like to see more than Starbucks and Basket Robbins to jumpstart the pedestrian scene.

Is there any serious landscaping program with trees and buried watering systems?

Apologize for all the questions if this is covered elsewhere.

I dont think you'll see a Shoppers going up considering theres one 2 blocks south of city place on the waterfront.

Has there been any thought of a pedestrian walkway over Spadina? I took a walk around Cityplace last weekend in the evening and while the architecture is dramatic the pedestrian experience in downright scary. Crossing six(?) lanes of traffic even with the pedestrain signal is intimidating & disorienting. You have the sense that while you're trying to figure out which car has your number, a street car while get you.

What are the plans to try and link together the various buildings from a pedestrain perspective? is there a comprehensive list of commercial or non-residential operations planned? I've seen mention of a Daycare Center, Fitness Club, park, of course the current Stadium.

Will there be enough density for the following in some central structure or spread around:
1) Loblaws
2) Odeon multiplex theatre
3) Canada Tire
4) Indigo
5) Shoppers

I'd like to see more than Starbucks and Basket Robbins to jumpstart the pedestrian scene.

Is there any serious landscaping program with trees and buried watering systems?

Apologize for all the questions if this is covered elsewhere.

There was thought about a walkway over Spadina linking South Linear Park from the east to the future western section. With all the many lanes and ramps in that little area it is very difficult to do so. In the near future you would be able to cross under Spadina when the North Linear Park is complete. Currently there is a path parallel to the rail tracks and goes under Spadina but is blocked off until construction of Neo, Montage and Luna are complete.

There will be day care centre and a community centre that wlll be built with the Public and Catholic schools (which will be the first time the two school boards will jointly work together and build schools, two schools sharing common facilities like a library and gym). There will be a Sobey's and I'm sure another coffee shop will open up eventually.

wylie:

This might kill Chinatown, but a T&T would be nice there!

In some ways, the Dundas stretch is already dying and there are signs Spadina isn't doing too well either. Quite frankly I suspect demographic trends in the area will push it upmarket soon. The thing that could happen to Chinatown right now IMO would be for T&T to snap up Dragon Centre and convert it into their Toronto flagship store. Right now, that place is a sad, sad sight.

AoD

There was thought about a walkway over Spadina linking South Linear Park from the east to the future western section. With all the many lanes and ramps in that little area it is very difficult to do so. In the near future you would be able to cross under Spadina when the North Linear Park is complete. Currently there is a path parallel to the rail tracks and goes under Spadina but is blocked off until construction of Neo, Montage and Luna are complete.

There will be day care centre and a community centre that wlll be built with the Public and Catholic schools (which will be the first time the two school boards will jointly work together and build schools, two schools sharing common facilities like a library and gym). There will be a Sobey's and I'm sure another coffee shop will open up eventually.

there is??

Alvin,

Dragon City ("Dragon Centre" is its sister mall in Agincourt, both owned by Shiu Pong) is far from dead. Pho 88, which was a drabby place where only singles would go eat at lunch, has been renovated and is now resurrected into Chinatown's version of Spring Rolls. Canteen, on Dragon City's second floor, is the nicest little restaurant in Chinatown, and many people (including non-Asians) would agree.

Dragon City is by far the better of the two malls in Chinatown. Chinatown Centre just down Spadina is the one that is doing badly, even with the Super 8 Hotel built into it. That's the mall that might need a T&T.

there is??

2498690666_d277b9c44a_b.jpg

From Wylie's photos, bottom right of picture. There never was a path on the west side of Spadina, but there will be.

So the top three levels get sharp looking railblazers on their balconies, but the lower levels get brick? It seems a little too coincidental to be a design decision and appears more to be one of discounting costs.

From the street level the building looks great, but if I purchased on one of the lower floors, I might not be so impressed with a walled-in balcony.

So then where is that man and his dog walking to hmm??

They're walking to go look at some graffiti where that path ends, and then look through the fence to see the progress being made on the continuation of the path through the north linear park. You should check it out sometime to see it for yourself

Back