News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

Why would a country that can't even qualify for the tournament (except once) bid to host it?

Eh, at least the Pan Am facilities will be utilized by future Torontonians.

Oversized stadiums just sit doing nothing for most days of the year.

Don't say that to the Pan Am apologists - apparently all sports spending is smart spending.

Huh? Maybe you should go back over the facts, because the infrastructure built for the Pan Ams (which is being deliberately designed to not be oversized after the games) is a lot different than the stadiums that would be required for the World Cup.

For one thing the host gets automatic entry...

I know. I guess that's our only way of ever qualifying again? But, isn't it strange that we'd place a bid when we never even participate (can't make it by our playing ability)? It's kind of like a South American, African or Asian country hosting a major hockey tournament.

Why would a country that can't even qualify for the tournament (except once) bid to host it?

I don't think we should bid on the WC....I don't think it is the right event for us...that said, previous world cup records have no bearing on future hosts. At this point in time we have played 3 less matches than South Africa had before their successful bid and 3 more matches than Qatar had before their successful bid.

Host city is determined by a lot of things but previous success rate is not one of them.

I don't think we should bid on the WC....I don't think it is the right event for us...that said, previous world cup records have no bearing on future hosts. At this point in time we have played 3 less matches than South Africa had before their successful bid and 3 more matches than Qatar had before their successful bid.

Host city is determined by a lot of things but previous success rate is not one of them.

I find that odd and unfair. Why should Canada or Qatar be able to participate in the tournament, simply for playing host? If their play doesn't match that of the top countries in the world, they don't deserve to partake. A more worthy team will have to sit out.

I find that odd and unfair. Why should Canada or Qatar be able to participate in the tournament, simply for playing host? If their play doesn't match that of the top countries in the world, they don't deserve to partake. A more worthy team will have to sit out.

It is the way the tournament has always been....the host gets in automatically. Used to be the defending champion also got in but they now have to qualify like everyone else.

With Blatter blaming USA and UEFA for the current mess... And uefa maybe boycotting the 2018 World Cup Canada might just be able to sneak a win. The vote is in 2017.

Canada also vocally voted against Blatter....so not sure why he and the nations that support him would be any more likely to give the WC to Canada then?

There should be a non-FIFA-sanctioned major international football event as a take-that against Blather's rotten organization. Yes, I know that Blatter runs FIFA, yet he is no longer fit to run it.

And why isn't he fit to run it? Is it because the US and UEFA say so? Are they not corrupt themselves. Why don't they stamp out corruption on their own fronts before getting on their high horse. Canada like the puppet we are always goes with the US, can't think for ourselves. This is all a power play. The West wants to wrestle control of FIFA from Blatter but since he just won again, they need to try again.

Back