News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

And why isn't he fit to run it? Is it because the US and UEFA say so? Are they not corrupt themselves. Why don't they stamp out corruption on their own fronts before getting on their high horse. Canada like the puppet we are always goes with the US, can't think for ourselves. This is all a power play. The West wants to wrestle control of FIFA from Blatter but since he just won again, they need to try again.

There are at least 150 million reasons why Blatter is not fit to run FIFA.

It is really ironic to listen to people from Ontario lecture others on voting for a corrupt leader.

There are at least 150 million reasons why Blatter is not fit to run FIFA.

Qatar 2022 being at the forefront.

Corruption in FIFA is so fundamental from the top to the bottom of the association and at every level I think it is impossible for it to be rooted bottom out. These investigations began because USA allegedly bought the Copa America, and South American people funneled money through the USA, and like I pointed out in a previous post, Canada too is supper corrupt. So Adjei is correct in saying we have corruption in our own fronts as well, but that is just indicative of how bad the corruption at FIFA is at every level. It's been found out that Brazil, South Africa and Germany world cups were all bought, and that in the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups the only clean bid was Netherlands/Belgium, meaning that every other bid (including USA, England, Spain, Australia, etc.) attempted some sort of bribery.

However, all this doesn't mean the right course of action is to stick with Blatter's FIFA. I don't think bringing USA/Mexico/Brazil/Argentina into UEFA's fold is the right thing either since UEFA is also very corrupt. I think the only thing to do is to create a new world association under the supervision of the UN or the world's nations or something.

It is really ironic to listen to people from Ontario lecture others on voting for a corrupt leader.
What's that a reference to?

I've never seen any evidence that any Premier of Ontario that I can remember is corrupt. Is this some anti-gay thing?

Last edited:
What's that a reference too?

I've never seen any evidence that any Premier of Ontario that I can remember is corrupt. Is this some anti-gay thing?

Haha, kind of like having people from Canada lecture others on democracy, transparency and openess, oh and not to mention corruption eh? Oh wait, I forgot.

AoD

Haha, kind of like having people from Canada lecture others on democracy, transparency and openess, oh and not to mention corruption eh? Oh wait, I forgot.
Given how corruption free, transparent, and open our governement is, isn't it our duty to try and fix it elsewhere?

Indeed. I am just pointing out the pointless partisan jibe that doesn't seem to look itself in the mirror.
Subtly though ... those that make such jibes are such believers, that the subtle will go over their head. You need to hit them in the head with something for them to realize you are not agreeing with them.

As for countries hosting the World Cup who have never qualified. Canada has qualified previously. Qatar never has.

Indeed. I am just pointing out the pointless partisan jibe that doesn't seem to look itself in the mirror.

AoD

Especially the pot-calling-the-kettle kind where one type of unethical behaviour is somehow OK because someone else once did something worse. Less worse is still not good.

Especially the pot-calling-the-kettle kind where one type of unethical behaviour is somehow OK because someone else once did something worse. Less worse is still not good.

No kidding, not to say that FIFA is great (quite frankly, at this point they are worse than the IOC and I wouldn't want us to have anything to do with them) but I do think we are all too smug about ourselves and our supposed moral superiority at every level of the government.

AoD

I agree, WislaHD. There should be another international body that oversees association football, one that can rival FIFA (as well as another international body that oversees multiple sports to rival the corrupt IOC).

Cleaning up FIFA's house is probably the answer. Like others have said, UEFA is also corrupt, and Europeans have a history of corrupt influence over FIFA itself (USSR v Chile in Pinochet's torture stadium, anyone?), and this is partially why African and Asian nations support Blatter so thoroughly. They have long memories of that kind of crap, and Blatter, despite being European, at least panders to these countries with "football development money" (aka bribes).

I don't think a rival association is the right move, or would be a really successful move. You would end up with one for the rich (UEFA plus select others) and one for the rest. This would kill the World Cup. Despite Blatter's corruption, it's hard to argue that during his tenure, the World Cup has exploded in popularity, and is now truly a World Cup. A breakaway international body would destroy 20 years of work in that regard. I'm sure that the breakaway 'World Cup' would be successful, but I doubt it would be as successful as the current World Cup. As the unique selling point would disappear.

Sepp Blatter to resign as Fifa president amid corruption scandal (See link)

Sepp Blatter to resign as Fifa president amid corruption scandal

Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.
In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old Swiss has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.
Blatter was re-elected last week, despite seven top Fifa officials being arrested two days before the vote as part of a US prosecution.
But he said: "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."
He added: "The next ordinary Fifa congress will take place on 13 May, 2016 in Mexico City.
"This would create unnecessary delay and I will urge the executive committee to organise an extraordinary congress for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity.
"This will need to be done in line with Fifa's statutes and we must allow enough time for the best candidates to present themselves and to campaign."
The extraordinary congress is expected to take place between December 2015 and March 2016.
Fifa was rocked last week by the arrests on charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering as part of a US prosecution that also indicted 14 people.
A separate criminal investigation by Swiss authorities into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated is also under way.
"I am very much linked to Fifa and its interests. Those interests are dear to me and this is why I am taking this decision," said Blatter.
"What counts most to me is the institute of Fifa and football around the world.
"I have thoroughly considered and thought about my presidency and the last 40 years in my life.
"These years were closely related to Fifa and the wonderful sport of football. I appreciate and love Fifa more than anything else.
"I only want to do the best for Fifa and my institution. I decided to stand again as the best option for football. The elections are closed but the challenges we face haven't come to an end."
The English Football Association has been vociferous in its criticism of Blatter.
"This is great news for football. It should have happened years ago," FA chairman Greg Dyke told the BBC.
"The timetable doesn't matter. There has to be a root and branch investigation of Fifa. It has all got to be transparent in the future."
The latest allegations of corruption against Fifa involved reports claiming general secretary Jerome Valcke was responsible for an alleged $10m (£6m) payment of bribes over South Africa's bid to host the 2010 World Cup.

Guess there is a paper trail from his aide and he is getting close to indictment? You don't run through an election, win it and then step down unless something is sticking, and sticking badly.

AoD

Guess there is a paper trail from his aide and he is getting close to indictment? You don't run through an election, win it and then step down unless something is sticking, and sticking badly.

AoD

The General Secretary (Valcke) was implicated earlier today, who was a close ally of Blatter (he became General Secretary at Blatter's suggestion). It's possible that Blatter saw the writing on the wall and decided to step down instead of being pushed out.

FIFA's official response to this allegation, was to blame the former Chairman of the FIFA Finance Committee, Julio Grodona, who died last year.

Here's the letter that was sent to Valcke.

"Dear Mr Valcke, In view of the decision by the South African Government that an amount of US$ 10 million be paid to the 2010 FIFA World Cup Organising Committee South Africa, the South African Football Association requests that FIFA withholds an amount of US$ 10 million from the Organising Committee's future operational budget funding and thereafter advances the amount to the Diaspora Legacy Programme.

"In addition, SAFA requests that the Diaspora Legacy Programme be administered and implemented directly by the President of CONCACAF who shall act as a fiduciary of the Fund.

"SAFA therefore confirms that:

"1. FIFA shall withhold US$ 10 million from the Organising Committee's future operational budget funding in order to finance the Diaspora Legacy Programme, thereby reducing the Organising Committee's overall budget from US$ 423 million to USD$ 413 million.

"2. The Diaspora Legacy Programme shall be administered and implemented directly by the President of CONCACAF who shall act as a fiduciary of the Diaspora Legacy Programme Fund of US$ 10 million.

"Yours faithfully, Dr M Oliphant."

Last edited:

Back