News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Canadian media & the CRTC

...There had been speculation that Rogers might shift the Citytv operations to its Omni channels' headquarters at 545 Lake Shore Blvd., near the waterfront.

...hmmmmm, apparantly more people are tuning in to 'UT' than we knew!

This is exciting news. Can't wait to see a render. I wonder what will happen to their old digs on Queen West? A good opportunity for somebody, I guess.

does somebody mind moving the past few posts (as well as this one) into the CityTV thread?

From what I hear, CTV pretty much sold to Rogers a very bare-bones CityTV, namely the CityTV brand, CityLine, Breakfast Television, and CityNews. Anything remaining rights remain with CTV, despite airing on City, including Speakers Corner, Star!Daily, FashionTelevision, MovieTelevision, and Ed the Sock (though I hear they might have given Rogers his cigar). There's nothing to say RogersCity won't make their own party come TIFF time.

This by far has to be the most convoluted and complicated media deal since the big Vancouver TV station musical chairs, and only time will show what happens.

I would have thought Much would salivate at the possibility of hosting in the square

But where would they hold the private party for suppliers, advertisers etc? The Much building is completed packed with these people during the awards.

I can't believe CTV got Ed the Sock too :-/

Let's hope City can get some original programming in now that almost all of their former original programming is now with CTV.

Who got Top Model I wonder?

What I can't believe CityTV lost is FashionTV... That's been a staple of City for as long as I can remember watching the channel.

I guess with BT and CityNews, CityTV can rebuild itself with new programming.
I can't imagine City without Speaker's Corner though. Their brand revolves around public participation and production transparency. I can see City building a Speaker's Corner booth at the base of the Torch building, although they'd have to come up with a new clever name.

There's nothing to say City can't come up with a new "Speakers Corner" or a new "FashionTV" or a new "Ed the Sock" (Ted the Boxer-Brief?). To be totally honest I can't see CTV really continuing any of those CHUM traditions (minus speakers corner).. they have enough problems fitting in their programming into their schedule as it is... I've personally been a little miffed that their primetime lineup is so full they have to pre-empt Jeopardy a couple nights of the week to fit everything in... I want my Alex Trebek! That's the real reason why CTV didn't want to give up CityTV, they wanted their own CH-E! to throw more American programming on... though they'll still get to do that with the A-Channels.

I think it'll be really cool though having the BT and news studios with Dundas Square in the background.. its very big-city-esque, kind of like the Today Show or MTV TRL. I can see them having the main programming up above the square, and have Frankie out on the square and surrounded by people like on the Today Show doing the weather and grabbing random people and having Will and Jack make out for the first time on network television...

I can't imagine City without Speaker's Corner though. Their brand revolves around public participation and production transparency. I can see City building a Speaker's Corner booth at the base of the Torch building, although they'd have to come up with a new clever name.

Why, is there a copyrite on 'Speaker's Corner'. Isn't it derived from a very old tradition in London's Hyde Park?

Sort of related, but I got a few tidbits tonight...

*MTV will be leaving the Masonic Temple and taking space in the former Chum-City building.
*Much Music will be staying put.
*CTV isn't sure what it's going to do with the temple yet, but will likely sell.
*CP24 will revert to CFTO-news programming at some point in mid-2008.
*There's also talk of CHUM Radio moving in to the former Chum-City Building as well
*City-TV won't remain at Queen & John for the full 3 years that they are allowed to. They want to get out as soon as possible, so they could be in Torch in about a year.

And that's it for now!

*MTV will be leaving the Masonic Temple and taking space in the former Chum-City building.
*CTV isn't sure what it's going to do with the temple yet, but will likely sell.
*There's also talk of CHUM Radio moving in to the former Chum-City Building as well
*City-TV won't remain at Queen & John for the full 3 years that they are allowed to. They want to get out as soon as possible, so they could be in Torch in about a year.

And that's it for now!

so mtv and much will be in the same building?

kinda wierd imo.

And that's it for now!

Could this be the end of Much Music? I can't see them both surviving in the same building, fighting for the same market. CTV shouldn't have been allowed to keep both of them.

I absolutely agree. The CRTC screwed this one up badly. CTV gets two all-news channels, three music video cable channels (Much, Much More, MTV), and Rogers gets three local broadcasting channels.

As Much as I hate to say it, I kind of wish Rogers took over CP24 and one of the music channels. Are we going to get MuchMoreMulroney with CTV taking 'em over?

I absolutely agree. The CRTC screwed this one up badly. CTV gets two all-news channels, three music video cable channels (Much, Much More, MTV), and Rogers gets three local broadcasting channels.

As Much as I hate to say it, I kind of wish Rogers took over CP24 and one of the music channels. Are we going to get MuchMoreMulroney with CTV taking 'em over?

I think that would've been fair. It only seems right that Much Music (and perhaps Much More Music) stay with CityTV.

Back