News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Canadian media & the CRTC

I've heard a rumour, but don't know how true it is, that CityTV may be moving to the former 100 Huntley Street location - ground level. I don't know how accurate that is as the other location mentioned was Don Mills & York Mills.

Huntley St. is downtown by Rogers HQ, and they'd be insane to go to Don Mills/York Mills. It's a secluded and small building that's completely invisible.

It's also playing on CP24 and Much More Music so that train of thought becomes confusing.

Good point, although I don't see it on the MuchMoreMusic schedule. Interestingly, the Citynews site still features the CP24 logo -- there must be a deal for a later "disintanglement" of CP24 from City.

Where did you hear that the show was staying with CTV?

CTV Layoffs at former Chum Building

On October 11, 2007 CTV layed off the staff of Star Daily! at the former Chum building on Queen and John street in Toronto.
Approximately a month prior a whole other sales department was also discreetly layed off.
More layoffs are speculated to come as CTV clears out its former competition.
This story has barely made a blip in the news media. Particulary, City News, now owned by Rogers, appears to be completely ignoring the story
as it unfolds under their nose.

This is what media consodilation was designed to do. Eliminate the competition. Thank you CRTC and Canadian Association of Broadcasters for protecting big corporate Canadian interests.

Wasn't Star Daily! canned? I'm surprised it took that long. CTV had their no-talent Ben Muldoon (who's now on a giant poster at the Indigo at Eaton Centre) to protect.

I decided that this should go into Toronto Issues in the meantime as there's neither a project nor construction yet. And the story and discussion on media consolidation/layoffs/CRTC is certainly an important issue (and one I'm interested in too), but not P&C.

On October 11, 2007 CTV layed off the staff of Star Daily! at the former Chum building on Queen and John street in Toronto.
Approximately a month prior a whole other sales department was also discreetly layed off.
More layoffs are speculated to come as CTV clears out its former competition.
This story has barely made a blip in the news media. Particulary, City News, now owned by Rogers, appears to be completely ignoring the story
as it unfolds under their nose.

This is what media consodilation was designed to do. Eliminate the competition. Thank you CRTC and Canadian Association of Broadcasters for protecting big corporate Canadian interests.

I did see a brief article in the Toronto Star about the cancellation of Star Daily and the layoffs. I note that the article suggests that Star Daily had only 7000 viewers compared to 400,000 to eTalk. Star Daily might have ended up on the chopping block even if CTV had not acquired CHUM....

I can't believe 400,000 bother to watch eTalk though. And surprised that many people can stand Ben Muldoon (who I bet got his job thanks only to his daddy on Bell's board of directors, which owned CTV at the time).

The Star Daily and eTalk reporters did a joint thing for the former Festival Schmooze at the old CityTV building. CTV branding everywhere.

If I were them, I'd go with Star Daily...much better brand and the reporters are better too (not that any of these entertainment shows are that great). I'm sure CityTV will revive a lot of it.

Back