423     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Canada's next Prime Minister?

Who would win in the Federal Elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
According to the National Post....

Frank McKenna is interested this time around -- oooo this could be interesting....
McKenna eyeing Liberal leadership: source

Former premier said to be mulling leadership bid if Dion resigns

John Ivison, National Post Published: Thursday, October 16, 2008

OTTAWA -- Frank McKenna, the former premier of New Brunswick, is said to be seriously considering a bid for the Liberal leadership should Stephane Dion step down.

"Frank still has the bug and is open to lobbying from some of Canada's most senior businessmen that the party needs him and the country needs him," said a Liberal source who is understood to have been in contact with the former Canadian ambassador to Washington.

Mr. McKenna's name is frequently mentioned as a potential leadership candidate, but he decided not to run in the 2006 contest because of health issues facing his wife, Julie. Those issues are said to have been resolved.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/election-2008/story.html?id=883087

No doubt Manley and McKenna will both at least stick their toes into the leadership waters.

From what I recall, many Ignatieff organizers were from Dalton McGuinty's camp. If Manley runs, they will probably be supporting and organizing for him rather than Iggy.

The Liberal leadership will, no doubt, be much more interesting than this snooze of an election.

Toronto Star - Devastated Dion set to quit

Bye Bye Dion ~ :p

now let the finger pointing begin !

Oct 16, 2008 04:30 AM

Les Whittington / Joanna Smith
Ottawa Bureau

a6b577f34cc79cf934fbd822d9d9.jpeg

Stéphane Dion, shown in a TV interview on Oct. 12, 2008, is unlikely to try to hang on to leadership after the number of Liberal seats in the House of Commons plummeted from 95 to 76.

OTTAWA–The federal Liberal Party says that leader Stéphane Dion will not make a public statement about his future today.

Devastated by the disappointing showing of his party in the election, Dion was expected to announce today he will step aside as Liberal leader. But this morning, the party said this is not the case.

“We will properly advise the media when M. Dion is prepared to speak publicly,†said George Young in a message sent to the media.
Unlike the other party leaders, Dion did not make a public appearance yesterday, instead huddling with his family and advisers. Party insiders said he would remain as leader until the Liberals choose a successor.

Dion had been expected to announce in his remarks after the polls closed late Tuesday that he would set in motion a process to allow his party to choose a new leader. But he avoided the subject.

The 26 per cent of the popular vote that the Liberals received on Tuesday is among the worst results the party has ever had. Liberal seats in the House of Commons plummeted to 76 from 95 while the Conservatives strengthened their minority position to 143 seats from 127 at dissolution.

With that record, there was little expectation that Dion would try to hold on to the leadership. "He just can't stay" was a typical assessment from a senior Liberal close to the Dion campaign yesterday.

The party has a biennial convention scheduled in Vancouver in May, where Dion's leadership would face a vote of confidence. Should he step down before then, the Vancouver meeting could be turned into a send-off for Dion and a leadership convention.

Veteran Liberals said Dion, who has never had a strong political organization or powerful backing in the caucus, would be unlikely to survive a leadership review.

It's no secret that Dion – a reserved, unexciting former professor – was a liability for Liberal candidates on voters' doorsteps, and that his Green Shift plan to fight climate change with a carbon tax turned off voters.

"Sometimes in political life ... you make the best efforts and it doesn't show results," said re-elected Vancouver Liberal Ujjal Dosanjh.

"Mr. Dion attempted over the last couple of years to connect with Canadians on the Green Shift or otherwise and ... we came up short," Dosanjh told CBC-TV. But he added that he wasn't taking any position on the current leader's future.

Liberal Jim Karygiannis implied he would like Dion to step down but said the future of his leadership would be up to the Liberal caucus.

"As a caucus we have to see where we went and where we're going and how we go," he said. "The leader also has to decide in his own mind what he wants to do. Is he staying or is he going?

"You don't go from 95 to 76 – you know," he said, trailing off. "It was the worst performance we did in years. ... We're going to have to think about that one."

Karygiannis said the national campaign did nothing to help him get re-elected in the Scarborough-Agincourt riding he has held for 20 years. "There was no message from the national campaign. There was no theme that we've seen and certainly the message from the leader's office was not getting through."

Defeated Nova Scotia Liberal Robert Thibault said the weak national campaign likely had an effect on the traditionally tight race in West Nova, where he lost to Conservative Greg Kerr.

"I was fortunate to win it three times, but the Green Shift was a very, very difficult sell," he said.

Thibault believes Canada will eventually adopt a policy similar to the Green Shift, but, politically, Dion went about it the wrong way.

"He was trying to put it through without proper debate in my mind," Thibault said. "It would have been better to put a green paper forward, tell Canadians: `This is what I'm considering, this is the direction I'd like to go. How do we make this work for you? What are the problems with it?'"

Liberal strategists said Canadians' fears over the economy may have driven voters away from the relatively unknown Dion to Harper, who scores well as an economic manager in opinion surveys.

Insiders said problems with the Green Shift were compounded by Dion's inability to fight effectively the negative attacks that the Conservatives' Stephen Harper launched against the proposal.

One organizer for a Liberal candidate said Dion was a tough sell as a leader because he appeared weak when he repeatedly passed up chances to defeat the Harper government and force an election. The Liberals held back because, under Dion's leadership, polls showed the party was not in a winning position. Senator David Smith, a Liberal campaign co-chair, said it would be wrong for anyone in the party to pressure Dion to step down immediately. He said Dion was in "a period of soul-searching" yesterday.

But supporters of Toronto MPs and leadership aspirants Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae are unlikely to wait very long to press the issue.

It won't be Gerard Kennedy that's for sure, since he threw his support behind Dion in the first place (back during the last liberal leader convention) essentially paving the way for the current state of Liberal affairs, he's made no friends of Rae or Ignatieff or any of their supporters within the party. Kennedy would be silly to attempt another bid for Liberal leadership at this point.

I wouldn't mind the idea of John Manley or Bob Rae going to liberal leadership. I'm not a fan of Ignatieff as liberal leader, he's barely even Canadian having lived in the States for 30 years.

It won't be Gerard Kennedy that's for sure, since he threw his support behind Dion in the first place (back during the last liberal leader convention) essentially paving the way for the current state of Liberal affairs, he's made no friends of Rae or Ignatieff or any of their supporters within the party. Kennedy would be silly to attempt another bid for Liberal leadership at this point.

I wouldn't mind the idea of John Manley or Bob Rae going to liberal leadership. I'm not a fan of Ignatieff as liberal leader, he's barely even Canadian having lived in the States for 30 years.

Yes, don't want a dam immigrant becoming prime minister :eek:

Yes, don't want a dam immigrant becoming prime minister :eek:

That's not what I meant at all, Ignatieff spent 25 years as a prof in the UK, then some years in the States, to my knowledge he never became british or american, but then he jets sets back to Canada and expects to be elected as the leader of a national political party? I don't think so.

I don;'t like Ignatieff because of his support for the Iraq war.

It makes perfect sense why ridings went for the NDP or Conservatives in Ontario and that Dion made no gains in Quebec.

Dion's biggest problem above policy is that he can't connect with people. Its unfortunate, but true.

Second to personality, his policy is just not able to attract a grand coalition across Canada. He put all his eggs into one basket: the environment. In economic times like ours, the environment isn't what people vote on.

Third, Dion is a federalist, and the reason he was found as a compromise in 2006 was because Liberals felt he could bring Quebecers back. His only perceived asset became a huge liability after his nomination because anti-federalist Quebecers still sensitive to sponsorship wanted NOTHING to do with Dion, and middle of the roaders were equally turned off.

Yet you disagreed vigorously when I made these points earlier..... For better or for worse, Dion was not a fresh face. And that cost the Liberals. They didn't get it...you can't win with a compromise candidate and a Green/NDP-esque platform. Hopefully, they'll get back to the centre soon....

Yet you disagreed vigorously when I made these points earlier..... For better or for worse, Dion was not a fresh face. And that cost the Liberals. They didn't get it...you can't win with a compromise candidate and a Green/NDP-esque platform. Hopefully, they'll get back to the centre soon....

For one thing, I believe in giving everyone a chance. I feel bad for Dion, because intellectually I think he's a strong candidate.

And lastly, Dion is not a far leftist. His problem was making the Green Shift a primary campaign piece in a year where the economy is the main issue. If he would have made a green policy a talking point behind a larger platform he could have connected with voters.

Also, if you'd stop quoting everything line by line and speaking down to everyone, maybe you would realize what other people are actually SAYING. I never said the Green Shift was the best policy to run on as a primary campaign theme, I just said the policy itself is bold and something I agree with.

For one thing, I believe in giving everyone a chance. I feel bad for Dion, because intellectually I think he's a strong candidate.

While GWB is a bad example of a non-intellectual, many of history's great leaders have hardly been academic by inclination.

And lastly, Dion is not a far leftist. His problem was making the Green Shift a primary campaign piece in a year where the economy is the main issue. If he would have made a green policy a talking point behind a larger platform he could have connected with voters.

That's exactly what I said from the beginning. Yet, even I couldn't have predicted that they would lose this badly.

Also, if you'd stop quoting everything line by line and speaking down to everyone, maybe you would realize what other people are actually SAYING. I never said the Green Shift was the best policy to run on as a primary campaign theme, I just said the policy itself is bold and something I agree with.

I seem to recall plenty of rhetoric arguing that the Green Shift was the best platform among the major parties and plenty of discussion about how people should not vote Green or NDP.

And I do read and assess what people post.....just because you disagree does not mean that I have a condescending tone or that I am inattentive. As for post line by line....hey that's me. I don't apologize for being specific in my responses.

I am curious about the Conservatives beyond Harper. It's unlikely he will stay on beyond this term IMO. Any guesses as to who the next Tory leader will be? And if Liberals disarray keeps up, there's a possibility that this individual could be PM.

One of the Jims (Flaherty or Prentice)?

I can't think of anyone much stronger in their caucus. MacKay is damaged goods, as is Bernier, Emerson, or Fortier.

One of the Jims (Flaherty or Prentice)?

That would be the end of their minority....and end of their rule. Neither of those two would sell in Ontario. The only reason they are tolerated now is because they are ministers and not leading the party.

I can't think of anyone much stronger in their caucus. MacKay is damaged goods, as is Bernier, Emerson, or Fortier.

I really think MacKay would sell across Canada. I am curious to hear why you think he is damaged goods. He wasn't the best at Foreign Affairs but he has redeemed himself in the Defence portfolio. I think a more domestic portfolio (Industry, Education, Health, etc.) would groom him well as a successor to Harper....

As for Emerson and Fortier...I'd concur....

He's a turncoat. He lied to the PC Party about his intentions to merge with the CCRA, and there are quite a few that hold that against him. Who knows how much of a factor that would be, but it doesn't help.

Realistically, Harper has a strangle-hold on the party and is ruthless in clipping the wings of anyone who could challenge his leadership. He doesn't want to have the same thing that happened to Chretien happen to him. Good for his prospects, but bad for the party.

Back