News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Brampton is going to ask the federal government for $17 million to build new Zum infrastructure on Airport Road from Bovaird to Steeles Avenue to realign the 505 from Humberwest Parkway to Airport Road to service...Bramalea GO. Yes, instead of a logical destination like...the airport or Renforth Gateway, they want to "loop" the service back to the GO station. Here on page 16.

Below, they're asking for $40 million to expand the Sandalwood Transit garage. Apparently it will be at capacity by 2016.

Also, on page 24, we get a description of what Brampton wants for the Queen Street RT corridor. I don't know why it's not a higher priority than Zum Airport, but they want 10 km of LRT from DT to Airport Road, and then BRT all the way to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

Also, on Zum Bovaird construction, looks like Dixie/Bovaird is going to be a construction pit for a year. Not only Zum infrastructure, but adding dual left turn lanes in each direction.

Bramalea GO is a horrible place to terminate an Airport Road Zum route. Far better is the Airport or Renforth for the additional connections (perhaps deviating to Malton GO, not far out of the way). The first three Zum routes connect to logical points outside Brampton's boundaries (York University, Square One, Humber College).

Mississauga was supposed to take care of operating a Dixie Road express route to Bramalea Centre, who knows what's going on with that.

What sense does it make it make to have LRT and then switch up to BRT at some arbitary location at Queen and Airport Road. It should be BRT all the way to Vaughan.

Bramalea GO is a horrible place to terminate an Airport Road Zum route. Far better is the Airport or Renforth for the additional connections (perhaps deviating to Malton GO, not far out of the way). The first three Zum routes connect to logical points outside Brampton's boundaries (York University, Square One, Humber College).

Mississauga was supposed to take care of operating a Dixie Road express route to Bramalea Centre, who knows what's going on with that.

I would rank the logical places to end the Bovaird/Airport Zum in this order

1. Renforth (having gone through the Airport) becoming a route that connects all the pieces that are going there from various municipalities and giving them a link to the airport (far better served by an improved/changed/extended people mover)
2. The airport itself (having gone through the Malton GO) providing a link from Malton GO to the airport and because this route crosses the existing Steeles and Queen Zum Routes it would greatly improve the public transit links for people all over Brampton to the airport
3. If there is no will to take it to either of those and there is a desire to terminate at a GO station....why on earth would you double back to connect to Bramalea....just take it down Airport Road to Derry and into the Malton GO station....if you want to encourage people in East Brampton to take public transit to the GO, you will have a lot easier time of it if you don't make them double back to Dixie Road to face a longer GO train ride than Malton provides at a higher fare.

I agree. LRT makes little sense for Queen Street. I thought the Queen Street Rapid Transit plans were for a Viva-type median busway.

I follow as many candidates in the municipal election as I can on twitter and there seems to be a really strong and growing sentiment that anything less than LRT on Queen is an example of Brampton getting "short changed" again by the province. They are, of course, wrong but it does continue the whole 2nd class mantra that saw the BD expansion over LRT for the RT replacement in Scarborough (many even bring that up as examples of communities getting better).

They just don't get it that a) there is not the ridership on Queen to support LRT and b) if everyone upgrades their shiny new stuff it will deplete the provinces transit resources way to fast and, most importantly, c) that forced transfer at Airport road to get to the major transit divers (the subway and York University) in the east end of the line it will just act as a deterrent to use.

I follow as many candidates in the municipal election as I can on twitter and there seems to be a really strong and growing sentiment that anything less than LRT on Queen is an example of Brampton getting "short changed" again by the province. They are, of course, wrong but it does continue the whole 2nd class mantra that saw the BD expansion over LRT for the RT replacement in Scarborough (many even bring that up as examples of communities getting better).

They just don't get it that a) there is not the ridership on Queen to support LRT and b) if everyone upgrades their shiny new stuff it will deplete the provinces transit resources way to fast and, most importantly, c) that forced transfer at Airport road to get to the major transit divers (the subway and York University) in the east end of the line it will just act as a deterrent to use.

Meanwhile, Brampton will definitely get LRT on Hurontario/Main Street but they never seem to be happy with it. Don't like the route, don't like overhead wires, blablabla.

Meanwhile, Brampton will definitely get LRT on Hurontario/Main Street but they never seem to be happy with it. Don't like the route, don't like overhead wires, blablabla.

I don't support the move for LRT on Queen....but what the people who do will tell you is that an LRT on Queen would be of more use to far more people in Brampton than the small piece of the HMLRT that will jut into Brampton.....and on that point they are not wrong. The reality is that the north part of the HMLRT (like the rapid transit on Queen) would be far better off as a BRT.

The councilors who voted for this are obviously not transit riders and probably care a lot more about building up the downtown and increasing property values. The greatness of LRT would be diminished significantly when it ends up forcing a transfer at Airport Road for all those trying to get to Vaughan, the subway, or York University (which from my observation is where most 501/A riders are headed).

BRT, if done like how VIVA is doing it, can be almost as great as LRT and prevent that transfer and be more flexible.

Also, I have no idea why the idea of making the 505 go to Bramalea GO is even being considered. Brampton has done such a great job planning its Zum network logically -- a much better job that YRT/VIVA -- and now they come with this? They should be extending it down to the Airport as planned.

Does anyone know who we should be emailing to express our views about this?

The councilors who voted for this are obviously not transit riders and probably care a lot more about building up the downtown and increasing property values. The greatness of LRT would be diminished significantly when it ends up forcing a transfer at Airport Road for all those trying to get to Vaughan, the subway, or York University (which from my observation is where most 501/A riders are headed).

BRT, if done like how VIVA is doing it, can be almost as great as LRT and prevent that transfer and be more flexible.

Also, I have no idea why the idea of making the 505 go to Bramalea GO is even being considered. Brampton has done such a great job planning its Zum network logically -- a much better job that YRT/VIVA -- and now they come with this? They should be extending it down to the Airport as planned.

There is an email here that feeds to the master plan.

http://www.brampton.ca/en/business/planning-development/transportation/Pages/TMP-2014.aspx

Money and infrastructure

sAlso, I have no idea why the idea of making the 505 go to Bramalea GO is even being considered.

Brampton has done such a great job planning its Zum network logically -- a much better job that YRT/VIVA -- and now they come with this? They should be extending it down to the Airport as planned.

Bramalea GO has the needed infrastructure already in place with better connection opportunities.

The 505 should connect through Malton Go to the airport & potentially the busway terminal on Renforth. And the LRT on Main should run directly to Brampton Go. Connectivity, network & integrating multiple modes together and all that... A car driver at Steeles & Main wouldn't drive to McLaughlin, up to Queen and then back. If the LRT is to have an impact on car drivership, it shouldn't either. The road can & should be shared by all.

Last edited:
For the second time in its 4 year life, the Bramalea bus terminal is closed for a two week repair job.

Back