News   Apr 26, 2024
 136     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 156     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 583     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

It's too bad about the roof. The previous owner in Niagara kept it intact. But I guess this makes more money.

I've had the privilege of riding this bus a couple of times. Pretty interesting experience, I think anyway.

Either the airport or Malton would make more sense, but then again there is probably no need for Zum on Bovaird or Airport Rd. in first place.

Queen, Main, Steeles, Kennedy, Dixie - these are the top 5 corridors for Brampton Transit, and maybe they are the 5 corridors BT should be focusing on.

Transportation planning/Brampton Transit didn't identify Dixie as a RT corridor in the most recent transportation masterplan.

They'd rather prioritze Bramalea. Bramalea has more destinations, whereas Dixie has ridership.

Brampton will submit six projects to the federal Public Transit Infrastructure Fund

I think TOAreaFan and I will agree that routing the new Airport Zum to Bramalea GO instead of further south is dumb.

Either the airport or Malton would make more sense, but then again there is probably no need for Zum on Bovaird or Airport Rd. in first place.

Queen, Main, Steeles, Kennedy, Dixie - these are the top 5 corridors for Brampton Transit, and maybe they are the 5 corridors BT should be focusing on.

I was really surprised that Bovaird was the 4th Zum line.....no particular reason but I always thought that a balance between north south and east west routes would be more effective in driving ridership.....so when I heard/read that it had a north south component to it I assumed it would be airport road....so this change makes some sense. Sure there are not a lot of people living on Airport road but there sure are a lot of employment lands there.

ksun is right, I think taking the route back west on Steeles to the Bramalea station makes little sense to me....if someone on the 505 wants to get to Bramlea they can easily transfer when it crosses steeles onto either the 511 or the 11. What makes sense to me is taking that 505 beyond Steeles to the Malton GO station and, if possible/feesible, to the airport itself.

If you could get it to the airport it would, either, augment or replace the 115. If the 505 went to the airport, BT would now have an airport service that serves far more people and intersects with both of the other East/west Zum routes.....I wouldn't take it into the terminal...just to the end of the airport people mover by the discount parking lot.

I was really surprised that Bovaird was the 4th Zum line.....no particular reason but I always thought that a balance between north south and east west routes would be more effective in driving ridership.....so when I heard/read that it had a north south component to it I assumed it would be airport road....so this change makes some sense. Sure there are not a lot of people living on Airport road but there sure are a lot of employment lands there.

ksun is right, I think taking the route back west on Steeles to the Bramalea station makes little sense to me....if someone on the 505 wants to get to Bramlea they can easily transfer when it crosses steeles onto either the 511 or the 11. What makes sense to me is taking that 505 beyond Steeles to the Malton GO station and, if possible/feesible, to the airport itself.

If you could get it to the airport it would, either, augment or replace the 115. If the 505 went to the airport, BT would now have an airport service that serves far more people and intersects with both of the other East/west Zum routes.....I wouldn't take it into the terminal...just to the end of the airport people mover by the discount parking lot.

The 505 via Airport Road should go to Malton GO, the Airport, or, best of all, the Renforth Gateway. Then it would connect to many Mississauga routes as well as the TTC, potentially the Second Phase of the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT.

Ugh, I should've gone.

My guess is either cut a project, or reduced the number of buses to be bought, and redirected some of the money to go towards an Alternative LRT extensions EA.

Here are the proposals for Zum Airport Road, an extension of the existing 505 Bovaird:

Planned stops common to all four proposals:
  • Bovaird/Airport
  • North Park
  • Williams Pkwy
  • Queen
  • Woodslea/Intermodal
  • Steeles
Four different terminals:
  • Bramalea GO via Steeles
  • Westwood Mall
  • Pearson Airport at Viscount LINK Train stop (with possible diversion to Malton GO)
  • Pearson Airport Terminal 1 (with possible diversion to Malton GO)
All have listed advantages and disadvantages. I would prefer Terminal 1. After all, the planned MiExpress 100 is supposed to serve that terminal.

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents...ZUM Airport Rd Proposed Route-Nov2016-Web.pdf

I like the link terminus.........with a scoot thru Malton GO
The problem with scooting through Malton GO is the International Centre in the way, requiring a more significant dogleg, and the onward service is variable through the day. It would also place a Brampton terminal in Mississauga - don't know what the politics of that look like either side of Steeles. Of course, to my mind the vast areas of parking at International Centre are a case for more transit not less, since the first Malton train arrival from Toronto is after 9am and unlikely to divert cars from the area.

The rationale for shoving it back to Bramalea is the status as a Metrolinx gateway hub (as well as a Steeles rapid transit line being pencilled in).

Given the change in focus of UPX from premium to commuter service (and the longer/better service hours than GO) there is a case to make to send it to T1, possibly replacing the existing BT airport express route 115. The questions I'd have are:

1. Can the bus terminal be placed closer along the roadway to UPX - it's currently a bit of a hike both horizontally and vertically from the Miway 7 for example.
2. Does Pearson want higher order surface transit there which also erodes UPX capacity (does their talk of welcoming a transit hub have any truth to it)
3. Is there a way to get buses into T1 without the crazy looping round the houses approach currently taken?

On a separate note, does anyone find the "next stop" system voice on BT buses harsh/flat compared to TTC ones?

The problem with scooting through Malton GO is the International Centre in the way, requiring a more significant dogleg, and the onward service is variable through the day.
Perhaps the answer is a left turn south of Derry at the entrance to int'l centre then loop around and out the same way (o southbound.....of course it is right in and out northbound)......I forget, is there a connection between the IC parking lot and GO?

It would also place a Brampton terminal in Mississauga - don't know what the politics of that look like either side of Steeles.
You. Mean like Lisgar GO or Square One?

The rationale for shoving it back to Bramalea is the status as a Metrolinx gateway hub (as well as a Steeles rapid transit line being pencilled in).

Anyone wanting to get to that hub can transfer to the Steeles Zum......no need to have yet another bus route running between Bramalea and Airport RD on Steeles.

Back