News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Louisa Spagnoli has opened at 162 Cumberland - according to their website anyway. Just walked by her store in Knightsbridge, London and it ain't cheap. This is her first NA location.

Not quite Yorkville, but a bunch of stores along Yonge, north of Bloor are shuttering. This includes China Panda (I think that's the name) and The Kitchen and Glass Place.

Not quite Yorkville, but a bunch of stores along Yonge, north of Bloor are shuttering. This includes China Panda (I think that's the name) and The Kitchen and Glass Place.

This includes Thompson Homoeopathics, which had been there on Yonge for 144 (!) years (moving to Bloor & Lansdowne, according to the internets).

i wonder if a developer is buying the block up for development for another condo tower. Anyone hear anything?

i wonder if a developer is buying the block up for development for another condo tower. Anyone hear anything?

I think Bazis - there's a thread in the Projects and Construction part of the forum (there was an argument over heritage protection/designation etc...) ... But yeah - its a condo development.

It's definitely North Face. I've been living under a rock apparently since I didn't even know they were closed/closing.
What's more interesting is this article posted by Retail-Insider...

http://www.retail-insider.com/2012/12/dolce-gabbana-opening-free-standing.html

Sorry everyone, we got it wrong. Ports1961 is closing and being replaced by Stuart Weitzman. The Vancouver Ports just closed, and the Montreal location inside of Ogilvy will stay open, for now.

(We amended our post and tried to post ACT7's content but it didn't work. We're a bit new to online forums and such)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good news, however...

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/01/miu-miu-opening-store-in-toronto.html

Miu Miu Opening Store in Toronto
Italian fashion label Miu Miu will open its first Canadian boutique inside of Toronto's Holt Renfrew department store at 50 Bloor Street West. The company is leasing space on the ground floor of Holt's and the accessories shop will include bags, jewelry and sunglasses. Toronto's Miu Miu will open early February, 2013.

Miu Miu has recently opened many new stores worldwide, including numerous shops-in-store like the new Toronto location. More Canadian locations may follow.

Miu Miu was started in 1993 by Miuccia Prada, of Prada fame.

Here's an article regarding Ports from The Star. It seems as though the Bloor Street location was just too small for them to make it worth their while.

http://www.thestar.com/living/shopping/article/1313499--ports-1961-will-close-toronto-store

Ports 1961 will close Toronto store

Published on Friday January 11, 2013

By David Graham Living reporter

The fashion empire that got its start in Toronto decades ago and expanded to become a global design and retailing empire will no longer have even a storefront in the city where it all began.

Yorkville’s trendy Ports 1961 store on Bloor St. is shutting its doors, Tu Ly, the company’s creative marketing director, confirmed Wednesday.

Randy Federgreen, the New York-based president of Ports 1961, said the store, which has been open since 2006, will close at the end of January, adding that merchandise will be dramatically discounted starting midmonth.

“This was a difficult decision,” says Federgreen. “I mean, it’s Toronto. It’s a great city. But that small space has always been very challenging.

“We’re focusing on our global wholesale distribution with the women’s and the men’s collection, and with the limited space we had on Bloor St. it was really challenging to show both. With the lease expiring, it was an opportunity to exit the small space.”

So that means that they could get back on bloor if they find appropriate space. The challenges of bloor street.

fcuk.jpg

Not sorry to see FCUK (ugh) go. I guess the building/site isn't quite blockbuster enough to make way for Apple? The stretch between Yonge and Balmuto is a bit lacklustre, I'm not sure what would make a good tenant here.

Le Chateau needs to make its way to Bloor Street. Honestly, they should move a couple of stores down from Yonge into the FCUK space.

No Apple store though. I need a massive flagship location asap!

Back