News   May 16, 2024
 318     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 435     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 510     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

On the news this morning it said that a part of a crane hit some glass around the 30 floor, causing some glass to fall.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/556371

Falling glass closes Bay St., Adelaide

Dec 19, 2008 10:30 AM

JESSE MCLEAN
STAFF REPORTER
Several downtown streets have been shutdown after a crane working on a Bay St. building smashed into a window causing shards of glass to fall onto the roads below.

A wire from a crane working on the Bay Adelaide Centre shattered a 30th-floor window just before 8:30 a.m.

As of 10:15 a.m., pieces of glass were still falling with the northwest wind carrying them as far as away as Richmond St., police said.

"When (police) first got there, they said it was under control. But with the wind it's just caused more problems," said Const. Wendy Drummond.

Emergency crews have blocked both vehicle and pedestrian traffic both ways on Bay St. from Queen St. to King St. Police have also closed Adelaide from York St. to Yonge.

A police officer and a news cameraman were both struck by falling glass and suffered minor injuries, Drummond said.

On the news this morning it said that a part of a crane hit some glass around the 30 floor, causing some glass to fall.

There isn't a crane anywhere near the 30th floor...

It was a loose glass panel being pushed around by the wind which hit other panels etc...

Well good to know that we build'em well.... wind and snow causes windows to fall down. I understand it's still under construction but... yeah. That's pretty stupid.

I can't imagine being struck by curtain wall glass hitting me from 30 floors up. I hope the cameraman and policeman are okay!

Lucky no one was killed. i saw on news the reporter was live on scene the glass was still raining down!

Lucky no one was killed. i saw on news the reporter was live on scene the glass was still raining down!

I walked past BAC around 11am and on the NE corner there was a large cable running from the roof to the ground which was being blown against the building. I could not see if it was completely loose on the ground as I was not allowed south of Richmond but there were VERY loud banging noises as it smashed into the building (in the corner 'cut out") and there were several (ca 10??) broken windows.

This is a sure sign that their financing fell through. BA is done.

You mean they're going to abandon it *now*?!? Wow, a full-height glass shaft: that does Ol' Stumpy one better...

You mean they're going to abandon it *now*?!? Wow, a full-height glass shaft: that does Ol' Stumpy one better...

"Fall through" ha ha... funny.

By the way that's called a joke :)

Back