News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Again, do those fins serve some kind of LEED solar-collector-type purpose? In which case, I can excuse their underwhelmingness on functional grounds...

Well, if you want imaginative, then proposing an alternative unimaginative feature isn't the logical move. Be it modernist box or another postmodern box with lid, it'll be called as it is. I'm tired of the attitude that generic historical references are somehow a step up from modernist functional elegance.

I'm tired of the attitude that generic historical references are somehow a step up from modernist functional elegance.

To some people, it is. Its all about opinion. Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't like? I personally like B.A as it is, though I wish it were a bit taller. If someone else thinks the roof should have been done differently, oh well. Its their opinion. Good for them.

To some people, it is. Its all about opinion. Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't like? I personally like B.A as it is, though I wish it were a bit taller. If someone else thinks the roof should have been done differently, oh well. Its their opinion. Good for them.

Of course, I'm not going to dictate opinions, but I do enjoy challenging that perception that token historical references or ornamentation makes for a better building, because I think that upon further deliberation few people will accept that. Those who enjoy imaginative buildings I suspect enjoy creativity, and perhaps originality or wit. No generic modernist or postmodern piece will satisfy in the long run.

Its all about opinion. Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't like?

It's a dangerous path to take to simply accept other's misguided opinions and not call them on it. Just Imagine the Seagram Building with a Chrysler Building spire or Fox News given congressional powers

Last edited:
Of course, I'm not going to dictate opinions, but I do enjoy challenging that perception that token historical references or ornamentation makes for a better building...

The fins and the reconstructed facades certainly seem like token historical references and ornamentation to me, which don't actually make the building better.

Last edited:
Sheraton Centre Pic

Was in TO this weekend from last Thursday to this morning. Took a pic from my room on the 31st floor. Finally I made a contribution. Hope you all like it.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
The fins and the reconstructed facades certainly seem like token historical references and ornamentation to me, which don't actually make the building better.

The retention of the facade and attaching it to a new building is a different matter. It's done more for heritage purposes as compromise with city hall rather than for explicit ornamentation. The historical references and ornamentation of postmodernism which I speak of would be on the new facade, if they existed.

The "fins" are likely there just to enhance the aesthetics rather than for some functional purpose like for solar panels. They're so minimal that I wouldn't cite them as a postmodern gesture.

The "fins" are likely there just to enhance the aesthetics rather than for some functional purpose like for solar panels. They're so minimal that I wouldn't cite them as a postmodern gesture.

Or even as much of an explicit gesture at all except for "visual refinement", no different from Miesian I-beams or whatnot in 50s/60s modernism. I think a lot of you are making more of them than you really ought to...

Back