News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 541     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Bagless grocery shopping? (Loblaws Milton)

heading back to the eco-friendly reusable bag theme -- I was out at the Wal-Mart in Pickering (don't ask why) yesterday, and nearly fell over laughing hysterically when I saw them selling reusable bags at the front entrance with a slogan along the lines of "Saving the Environment"... and this was after my bladder nearly exploded walking a mile from a parking spot to the front entrance.

What do you guys do for garbage?

I've been using a reusable shopping bag for a while, but find that it has created a new problem, where I have no bags for my household garbage.

It would defeat the purpose if I had to start purchasing plastic garbage bags, even if I did place those in my nice planet-friendly shopping bag.

Totally agree with the comments about the hypocrisy of the bagless craze. Society always likes the easiest way out, and dumping plastic bags is it, folks! While it's clearly a good thing, it may do more bad than good by making us all feel like eco-warriors as we continue and expand our wildly unsustainable lifestyles.

Totally agree with the comments about the hypocrisy of the bagless craze. Society always likes the easiest way out, and dumping plastic bags is it, folks! While it's clearly a good thing, it may do more bad than good by making us all feel like eco-warriors as we continue and expand our wildly unsustainable lifestyles.

It is to laugh. Everything centres on the bag. Suddenly, eliminating plastic bags (or any bags) will suddenly improve on the perceived state of the environment. The world shall be saved when these bags are eliminated (though many can't explain how this will occur). Now people will bring alternate forms of storage to bring their packaged goods home. Or maybe they'll steal some crappy cardboard box, or insist that stores carry more of those to handle big loads of groceries (because its more convenient if the store does it). After all, boxes fit better in the car trunk. Once home, all the boxes can be stuffed into the recycling bin (or into your neighbours' if yours is too packed).

Regardless, at the end of the day such careful and caring shoppers shall feel vindicated that they have contributed to the most vague notion of sustainability, and can now lord over neighbours who still frequent stores that distribute the planet-killing plastic bags.

I was pondering this yesterday, when I schelpped home from Loblaws with my Film Festival bags filled with groceries. Then I realized that when I run out of grocery bags to use as garbage bags, I can always go to the grocery store without the Film Festival bags and stock up on grocery bags. I can even get them to double bag things.

Should I ever get a green bin in my aparment, there will be that much less garbage to go in a bag anyway.

AP, are we close to having green bins in condos? I agree, it would significantly cut down on the amount of waste.

I've faced the same dilemmas as others have mentioned in this thread. My wife and I bought a few reusable canvas bags earlier this year and quickly cut down on our plastic bag consumption so much that we soon had nothing to bag our garbage in, which we are required to do before we throw it down our condo garbage chute.

Feeling slightly silly, we finally bought some biodegradable bags at Whole Foods. They're made out of corn starch and degrade completely in the landfill. At about $7 for about 25 kitchen sized bags they're not cheap, but this gives us incentive to ration them more carefully. And of course we still pick up the odd plastic bag here and there, so that $7 can get us through about a month of regular kitchen garbage. All the big bulky stuff like cans and cardboard tends to end up in recycling, so the actual bagged garbage we generate is quite minimal.

http://www.biodegradablestore.com/product_comp/pp_bags_bio_comp.html

As for the fixation on plastic bags: I agree, it is silly on some level, especially if that's the only change you make. I agree there are many other bigger issues that are not being addressed. However, it frustrates when I see this argument applied to every small lifestyle change. The idea is not that by simply avoiding plastic bags the world will be saved; the idea is that if many people make many small lifestyle changes -- reducing plastic bags, driving less, changing to low-energy bulbs, composting, etc -- that the cumulative effect will be more meaningful. This theory sounds more appealing than making a lazy excuse to do nothing.

And yes, too many of the things we buy are over-packaged, but nobody is making us purchase them. If we stop buying them, they will stop making them. Conveniently enough, I've noticed that the same foods that tend to be horrifically over-packaged also tend be overpriced and over-processed junk. One more reason not to buy that crap in the first place, I guess.

I get plastic bags with my supermarket groceries now and then - just enough to feed my modest, weekly green bin habit.

I have to agree with Puke Green. Yes, avoiding plastic bags will not save the earth. But pointing to other environmental no-nos in the grocery store is not a great justification for continuing to use plastic bags. There is no way around it - plastic bags are nasty and unnecessary. Just like Puke Green and his wife, we also use the "corn starch" bags for garbage, and they are great. They are also popping up everywhere (i.e. no special trip to Whole Foods necessary) -- I've bought them recently at Canadian Tire, and have even seen them in the convenience store at Carlaw and Cruikshank.

I get plastic bags with my supermarket groceries now and then - just enough to feed my modest, weekly green bin habit.

We also use the corn starch bags for the indoor green bin container.

I was pondering this yesterday, when I schelpped home from Loblaws with my Film Festival bags filled with groceries.

This year's Filmfest bag? Best ever for groceries - obnoxiously large for cinemas.

Just like Puke Green and his wife...

Mrs. Puke Green? She probably kept her maiden name.

Yes, I'm very pleased with this years bag. I've never taken a film festival bag to a movie - that'd be like going to a concert wearing the band's t-shirt.

RE: Green Bins in Condos

IIRC the city will be launching a pilot project for Green Bins in multi-unit apartments and condos within the next year... I'm looking forward to it.
In the meantime though, if you live in a condo, why don't you work with your condo board to acquire several composters? I lived in a condo once where there were three of them and my roommate and I simply froze our organics in a tub in the freezer til it was full, and then threw them into the composter when it got full, much like recycling. The resulting mulch was then used in the condo's landscaping.

RE: Plastic bags for garbage

Using plastic bags for garbage isn't the best option either. Ideally, we would stop using plastic bags to go to the grocery store, and yes, we would be without grocery bags for garbage use, but there are alternatives such as biodegradable plastic bags that you can purchase for garbage. In a perfect world, stores would foot the cost for biodegradable bags, and then the whole fabric/recycled plastic enviro-bag would not even be needed any more. There are cons to biodegradable plastic, but finding a solution to those is just like finding th esolution to the non-biodegradable plastic bags that are causing problems like the ones we're talking about in this thread.

We should follow Ireland's lead and tax plastic bags. Their use has decreased by over 90%, and millions of euros have been raised by the tax. But, of course, that would require our government to actually do something about the problem.

Do you know if they're available at the Canadian Tire on Bay St?

I happened to be in there over lunch, and surprisingly they have none. The ones I picked up were at the Danforth/Main Street store in the east end.

The Bay Street store did have garbage bags that had either a vanilla or sea breeze scent. WTF?

Back