News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 496     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Bagless grocery shopping? (Loblaws Milton)

Apparently, they're a disgrace because they're not dense enough. Therefore, we'll be world class once we have Kowloon-like densities on our important roads.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not demonizing the people that live in these developments. What is depressing is the physical environs of these new cities, and the car dependency that results. From there, a whole host of problems arise...emissions, obesity, road rage, etc.

Regarding your reference to New York and Paris in your post, all I said is that if a city the physical size of New York can support the millions of people it does, then Toronto has a long way to go in terms of realizing greater density. Not sure where your Paris reference came from, and the Kowloon reference that you're obsessed with is a complete red herring.

Oh yeah, and I'd take a million Bay Streets over the garbage that's being built in communities such as Milton.

You'd take those million Bay Streets even though they'd be replacing Yonge, Danforth, etc.?

Anyway, I wasn't responding to just your comments, otherwise I'd have quoted you.

Of course I would never want to replace the vibrancy of Danforth, Yonge etc with a Bay St-type development. That's not even what I said...What I said is I would take Bay St over this crap in Milton, NOT Bay St over Danforth, Yonge...it's two totally different things.
So do you assume that if we add height to our main streets such as Yonge, Danforth etc. it will spell the death of them?

Yup: it isn't the raw adding of height, it's the idea of overfetishizing adding the height, and overpathologizing that which it replaces, and assuming one can do that while blithely brushing aside neighbourhood objections as mere NIMBYism...

OK, well let's just freeze the city in time forever, and allow garbage development such as above to multiply un-checked and continue to build out and out.

You ever think that even if you densify the Danforth, there's still people who'd rather choose this so-called garbage development building out and out?

For sure there would be, no doubt. My point was that there is still plenty of room to add density in the 416, which would hopefully increase availability/moderate price and drive more people back into the city proper. We're not even close to being built out in Toronto, yet we keep gobbling up more and more and more land to create areas such as those depicted in the Loblaws pics. It demonstrates that we have abandoned sound planning principles in favour of unchecked sprawl. That's all I'm sayin'.

Back