News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 939     1 

46th Canadian General Election

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=abo&dir=100/cen&document=index&lang=e

Along with names and addresses, I think I recall it listing occupations.
And of course up until even more recently, everyone had the white pages phone books delivered to them, listing almost everyone's address and phone number.
Is that what the kids today would call "doxing"?

Doxing generally refers to identifying someone whose identity was specifically hidden, as most here do with pseudonyms.

This is often done with malicious intent; but is sometimes understood to be exposing someone whose actions/statements are understood to be harmful and holding them accountable by making clear who the originator of said action or statement is.

Its not really the making available of information that is broadly in the public domain, particularly if done simply to provide a reference/contact.

Ie. Posting a City Councillor's work email/phone here, is not doxing, you can look those up on the City's website.

Arguably, if someone gave out their home address that might be doxing, if it was understood that they were doing so for the purpose of exposing them to some type of harassment; but broadly, addresses are public information even today (the white pages are online as Canada411.com)

But doxing here, would be exposing someone's real name on this forum, linking it to their posting here, likely with an eye to causing them professional or other consequences.

Last edited:
This is going to win the CPC the next election. Straight up.

I haven't had a chance to watch the above yet, I will try to find time today.

But I can tell you one of my french-speaking friends sent me Pollievre's Tweet of him hyping it in Question Period.

For those not speaking French, my translation:

Justin Trudeau has doubled house prices
doubled rents and doubled mortgage payments.
Rather than doubling down on his apologies,
let him watch the documentary and take notes.

All of which is to say, the person I got this from, who sent it to me because she wants the video fact-checked, has seen the video, and she's not a political partisan, nor a natural Conservative supporter, but liked what she saw.

Last edited:
It's astounding how so many progressive politicians didn't understand the economic issues behind housing and stuck to ideology and are only now flipping because their jobs are on the line.

Even worse is guys like Adam.Vaughan who still don't get it and are out there fighting housing activists:

This is the defining issue. And the LPC and NDP are basically ceding to the LPC on a silver platter. It's crazy that Pierre Poilievre is talking about mandating Transit Oriented Development and abolishing minimum parking requirements while Singh serves up word salad:

Imagine categorizing 800 sqft condos as luxurious to justify the protection of multi-million dollar McMansions.

It's astounding how so many progressive politicians didn't understand the economic issues behind housing and stuck to ideology and are only now flipping because their jobs are on the line.

As discussed extensively in the zoning reform threads, the industry's capacity to build is maxed out.

You could remove all zoning, and all nimby objectors and you would not get one additional unit of housing built.

That makes this a demand-side problem, more than supply.

That's not a defense of nimby nonesense, or opposition to zoning reform, something I've personally had a hand in delivering. Just a reality check.

Even worse is guys like Adam.Vaughan who still don't get it and are out there fighting housing activists:

Again, Vaughan is right.

The private sector will not build a single unit that someone on social assistance, disability, GIS, or a full-time minimum wage job can afford.

That's not to suggest that private sector housing isn't a key part of the issue in terms of the impact of housing prices on the middle class.

But Vaughan was specifically talking about homelessness, and on that point he is entirely correct.

The private sector can't deliver a rental housing unit in Toronto at below $2,500 per month, and isn't generally delivering new build rental at less than $3,000 per month.

Someone who is child-less on Ontario Works gets $733 in monthly income

Someone on ODSP gets $1,308

GIS for seniors currently tops out at ~2k per month

While a full-time minimum wage job in retail pays $2,482 per month ($16.65 per hour x 37.5 hours per week x 4 weeks)

Those in any of these categories require rent-geared-to-income housing built/operated by the public sector/NGOs; and/or rent supplements (the latter however, will just drive up rents further in the current circumstance)

This is the defining issue. And the LPC and NDP are basically ceding to the LPC on a silver platter. It's crazy that Pierre Poilievre is talking about mandating Transit Oriented Development and abolishing minimum parking requirements while Singh serves up word salad:

To be clear, a majority of large Canadian urban centres have already abolished parking minimums and transit-oriented communities are already mandated in Toronto and Vancouver.

Imagine categorizing 800 sqft condos as luxurious to justify the protection of multi-million dollar McMansions.

^^^ now that is bad optics/politics and simply, just plain dumb.

It is crazy, seeing as he has no direct power to do such things.

The same powers that Sean Fraser is using right now to push the same policies. Power of the purse.

As discussed extensively in the zoning reform threads, the industry's capacity to build is maxed out.

Maybe. But it's hard to argue that we've done enough to give industry room to grow when city after city puts roadblocks to slow construction and it takes 5+ years to get a shovel in the ground.

But ultimately, if you're right that capacity is limited, that makes the current immigration policy particularly incompetent.

Again, Vaughan is right.

The private sector will not build a single unit that someone on social assistance, disability, GIS, or a full-time minimum wage job can afford.

You're right in the micro sense and missing the macro sense. When the family who makes $200k can't find decent housing, they'll compete with the couple who makes $150k. That couple is forced to compete with the single professional making $100k. And then that professional is forced to compete with the working class person making $70k, who is forced to compete with somebody making $30k. That person on the bottom then ends up homeless while having a job. So while in the strictest sense, the private sector doesn't build homeless shelters, the private sector not providing enough housing to the middle class ripples down to homelessness. YIMBY activists all get this. Ideological purists missed this and only argued for strictly targeting only homeless shelters. This is why the left is losing the housing debate right now. That is what Jennifer Keesmat's post was about.

To be clear, a majority of large Canadian urban centres have already abolished parking minimums and transit-oriented communities are already mandated in Toronto and Vancouver.

And that makes so much of PP's efforts, smart politics. He gets to look like a genius because it's all happening while he's talking about it. The Liberals dropped the ball not making a move on this last year. And also because you get word salad from guys like Singh, which then piles on the damage for all left leaning parties.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/12/05/opinion/young-voters-are-done-justin-trudeau

The Trudeau Liberals have finally found religion on the importance of this issue, and Sean Fraser, minister of housing, infrastructure and communities, has demonstrated that you can move political mountains when you’re willing to weaponize the power of the federal chequebook. But for all the new housing he’s been announcing, it will still take years before it shows in the data — and the prices people are paying. The recent fall economic update, which gave the government an opportunity to demonstrate its sense of urgency, left most housing advocates conspicuously underwhelmed.
As housing expert and economist Mike Moffatt noted, the federal government is “leaving housing demand from population growth untouched, making minor tweaks that won't go into effect until 2025, refusing to make transformative changes. I am deeply, deeply worried about the mess we're going to be in next year."
Poilievre, meanwhile, just keeps hammering the government on this issue. In a 15-minute video he released on Twitter, Poilievre guides viewers through a series of charts, old media stories and even some decidedly wonkish infographics about monetary policy to build a case for laying all the blame at Trudeau’s feet.
I can pick plenty of holes in that video (and I did) that involve Poilievre’s misuse of the data or misrepresentation of the economic realities behind it. But if you’re a young person trying to find housing right now, that doesn’t do you any good — and it doesn’t change the most essential aspect of his argument. Housing is far more expensive today than it was in 2015, and the situation is much more dire and desperate for people who don’t already own a home. As a government, especially after eight years in power, you have to take some measure of responsibility for those outcomes.
That’s what Valiquette and the rest of the Liberal team are up against right now. They’re also up against the growing sense among Canadians that change of some sort is required. Indeed, the Abacus poll showed that 85 per cent of Canadians think we need a new government. In that sort of political environment, the Liberals could be making the most intellectually impressive arguments — they’re not, to be clear — and I’m not sure it would matter all that much. When so many Canadians have tuned out the Liberal government’s communicator-in-chief, there’s not much he or anyone else can say to change their minds.

Maybe that means it’s time for Trudeau to go. Maybe it means bringing in new star talent like Mark Carney and establishing a clear line of succession for him as the next leader. Or maybe it means that after rescuing the Liberal Party of Canada from political oblivion, Trudeau will end up returning it there once he’s done. There’s a certain symmetry there, if nothing else — especially if it’s young voters who ultimately end up sealing his fate.

Which will result in the same as Milhouse's posturing.

I think Sean Fraser's approach is great. And it's the one that has long been called for by many housing advocates.

If you think it's pointless, what's your ideas?

How will it increase the availability of workers to build these homes?
Presumably like every other industry. Demand should drive an influx of workers over time.

But also, maybe we should be doing better with the workers we have. Using them to build more labour intensive SFH is hardly efficient.

Most new starts are not SFH.
Out of 45,109 starts in 2022, only 6,329 were SFH.

I didn't say SFHs were the majority. But any level of SFH really is a loss of efficiency when there's a shortage of housing. Also, the proportion that are SFH is much worse outside Vancouver and Toronto, while those cities still have housing shortages.

Back