News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 911     1 

46th Canadian General Election

If the election is held after April 2024, there will be a a new election map, due to the recent electoral commission redistribution.

Here are the new Toronto ridings:

1700697598465.png

Source

Watching the results of the elections in the Netherlands really does raise the question if we will also follow suit with voters going to the right. The far-right in Europe generally are running on the ideals of law, order and immigration controls.

Whoever is driving the Liberal Party is very much out of touch with reality of the electorate. And I have a hunch that unchecked immigration under the Liberals are going to give them a rude awakening when their base deserts them.

How Europe’s far right is marching steadily into the mainstream​

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...ch-europe-growing-taste-for-control-and-order

Last edited:
Just wait till next summer. Student immigration is increasing. Housing shortage still exists. More landlords will convert single family homes next summer, making affordability worse.

Backlash is all but guaranteed because the LPC refuses to change course.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-voted-for-geert-wilders-netherlands-election

Like millions of other Dutch voters on Wednesday, Jeanette voted for Wilders, largely, she says, out of anger that she and her family face a struggle to make ends meet. Reeling off a litany of monthly costs she must pay out of her €2,422 (£2,106) a month net salary, she appeared to have been drawn to his positioning as a champion of the ordinary person struggling amid the cost of living crisis.

“People from the outside think we are OK here in the Netherlands. We are wealthy compared to Belgium or Turkey, that is true. They don’t understand why people voted for Wilders but if you are here you know why,” she said.

Jeanette said she did not agree with all Wilders’ past anti-Islam declarations, including a call for fewer Moroccans in the country and a ban on the hijab – “If people want to wear that I understand.” But amid her socioeconomic complaints there is a familiar whiff of resentment.

“We are a wealthy country, but how do we in Holland have to pay that much and yet they say to migrants: ‘Come on in, have what you like, we will give you everything’?” she asked.

Matthijs Rooduijn, associate professor of political science at Amsterdam University, says such views are common among Wilders voters. “When you look at the electorate of the PVV in general, it consists of people who experience more difficulties to get by. They are more lonely. They feel that they are being neglected. They have tough lives basically, economically but also culturally,” he said.

“The PVV, of course, is not a party that is really leftwing when it comes to socioeconomic politics, but it is a party that is also when it comes to socioeconomics is not really rightwing … Wilders presents himself as there for the poor: it’s also what people sometimes call welfare chauvinism. So he argues that the people who have difficulties should be helped, but that is only true for what he calls ‘Henk and Ingrid’, the Dutch names that he calls his voters. And that’s not ‘Mohammed and Fatima’, so to speak. So it is welfare, but only for, according to him, our people.”

Interesting post, but it seems like it would belong in the News from Europe thread. For it to go here, I think it ought to be tied to our next election.
I posted it here as there’s a very good chance that Canadians are going through the same scenario but our polls just do not pick up that resentment. People are reluctant to talk about it due to shame, socioeconomic anxiety and sometimes the taboo nature of mentioning controlled immigration that gets spun into anti-immigration.

The Liberals should be thankful the election is not in 2023. I feel for the governments that do have elections in the era of high inflation and interest rates.
If I am the Liberals, I make sure the next election is in 2025.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=abo&dir=100/cen&document=index&lang=e
If you're old enough, you may remember when the list of eligible voters was posted on a telephone pole, tree or building... Some people were concerned about privacy (given their names and addresses were posted publicly)...
Along with names and addresses, I think I recall it listing occupations.
And of course up until even more recently, everyone had the white pages phone books delivered to them, listing almost everyone's address and phone number.
Is that what the kids today would call "doxing"?

Last edited:

Back