News   May 16, 2024
 587     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 816     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 601     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This all seems rather insignificant and unlikely to help more than a few thousand people. Where is the commitment to make it easier and quicker to develop purpose-built rental, including low and mid-rise buildings.

Its not nothing, but its less than what Matlow has committed to so far.

Its insufficient.

To be clear, the City really can do only so much to incent private sector rental; its the province and the feds that have the tools.

Both can disincent condo construction in its current form (making building rental more attractive); and the Feds, in particular, can offer supportive CMHC financing for the development of affordable rental housing, just as they did through the 60s and the early 70s. (very effectively I might add)

The City can certainly improve its processes, but I would argue the City's biggest role will be directly building affordable housing, and then also doing what it can to provide private-sector renters a higher quality of life (why I very much like Matlow's commitment to a maximum temperature by-law) which would essentially force landlords to provide some form of air conditioning (the form would be up to them). Doubtless there would be much lead time and some kinks to work out, but its a very good idea.

The 100M buy a building idea isn't bad, per se; the problem is how little 100M buys.

For an older, low-rise building, you're probably looking at ~600k per unit to buy the whole building right now. (can be much more if its high-end); but assuming were' looking for those more affordable properties, that'll buy you about 160 units per year
or 1,600 over the next decade, that's just a bit too 'drop in the bucket' for my liking. The idea might be fine, if it were given 10x the funding. But then there's the question of how to fund it; and also what's going to be required to remediate older buildings in rough shape.

This all seems rather insignificant and unlikely to help more than a few thousand people. Where is the commitment to make it easier and quicker to develop purpose-built rental, including low and mid-rise buildings.
Its not nothing, but its less than what Matlow has committed to so far.

Its insufficient.

I agree, although according to a campaign surrogate on Twitter, there will be more housing announcements soon.

Hopefully CBC or some other outlet will have a platform comparison tool as candidates start to roll out more of their plans.

I'm particularly interested in Bailao and Bradford's housing platforms, as both have expertise in the area and an ear to developer and real estate circles.

I agree, although according to a campaign surrogate on Twitter, there will be more housing announcements soon.

Hopefully CBC or some other outlet will have a platform comparison tool as candidates start to roll out more of their plans.

I'm particularly interested in Bailao and Bradford's housing platforms, as both have expertise in the area and an ear to developer and real estate circles

Adam drives just about everyone nuts. Too bad, LOL, fairly bright guy; but tenacious to the point of obnoxious; and a wee bit prone to hyperbole.

I was mostly content with Chow's announcement for renters, but I think she will need to be bolder in other areas. Think the environment, transit, public safety and transparency at city hall.

Toronto Star columnist Emma Teitel said it best on a a recent podcast: the Chow team thinks that people are going to vote for Olivia Chow because she's Olivia Chow. Also, unlike 2014, she has two formidable left-ish candidates to fend off (and maybe three, depending on where you put Hunter), in Matlow and Brown. A strong platform will suit Chow well and help make her the left flag-bearer.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Toronto Star columnist Emma Tietel said it best on a a recent podcast: the Chow team thinks that people are going to vote for Olivia Chow because she's Olivia Chow.

This is the impression I get as well.

Her people need to understand that she has been out of the public eye for many years. She needs a platform to get people engaged otherwise she will not last very long. Just because she was part of a political dynasty alongside Jack does not mean she will be the number one choice for alot of people.

Keep in mind, unless you are around 30 years old, it is not possible to know who Olivia was or to see the work she and Jack did together.

Noted above in @W. K. Lis link is Josh Matlow out with a commitment to reverse all the TTC service cuts.

Link to the applicable spot on his website: https://www.votematlow.ca/news/ttc-funding

From the above:

1682601500523.png

1682601532128.png

This then ties back into a promise that I didn't see get much play, a corporate parking lot levy:

1682601610700.png

The exemptions noted below would be a royal pain.........

1682601734283.png

On balance, supportable public policy in my opinion. But I'd slash the number of exemptions listed above to simplify things, and bring in more revenue.

Noted above in @W. K. Lis link is Josh Matlow out with a commitment to reverse all the TTC service cuts.

Link to the applicable spot on his website: https://www.votematlow.ca/news/ttc-funding

From the above:

View attachment 472425

View attachment 472426

This then ties back into a promise that I didn't see get much play, a corporate parking lot levy:

View attachment 472427

The exemptions noted below would be a royal pain.........

View attachment 472428

On balance, supportable public policy in my opinion. But I'd slash the number of exemptions listed above to simplify things, and bring in more revenue.

I watched some of Matlow's media scrum yesterday. Speaking off the cuff and honestly answering questions, my impression of him was favourable. As of right now he's my pick.

A few more platform roll outs.

Bradford's housing platform:

Bad.

The 'missing middle' stuff is set to be approved at the next Council meeting, when Bradford will not be Mayor. Since he clearly has McKelvie's allegiance it should pass, and if it doesn't, he wouldn't get it through later either.

As to the rest, its vague, at best, and unlikely to deliver any material change to current circumstance.

Hunter's library platform:

This part is good'ish:

1682612791805.png

* a more robust expansion of overall hours is already in the Open Hours strategy and nominally is supposed to be delivered next year (but has been deferred every single year for the last several.)

Though, the open hours strategy for Sundays is a bit different. Extending hours at district branches to 9-5 and other branches that would have Sunday service to Noon-5pm; It also doesn't extend Sunday service to all branches, but a total of around 67-69 / 101 branches.

In the alternative, however, the Open hours strategy contemplates all district branches being open til 11pm nightly (or maybe even midnight) and would extend full evening service to most branches.

Not so good:

1682613016551.png

So you're going to use one-time only capital dollars to fund on-going operating hours? Where does the money come from once you've drained the reserves and have no money to carry out renovations or replace dilapidated computers?

Last edited:

Back