News   May 08, 2024
 331     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 672     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.5K     3 

2011-2012 Leafs

Mats Sundin's number will be retired tonight. He carried the team through some rough years. He was actually solely responsible for getting The Leafs to the playoffs a few times. Mats tenure coincided with an amazing time of my life and I will always fondly associate it with him. It doesn't matter that they never got The Cup. He had this magic that made Leaf fans feel proud. It's a feeling I've never felt again until this season with Kessel and company.

I'll always remember the time I was at the Firkin at Yonge and Crescent and Mats walked in. The whole place went quiet for a few seconds, then went back to normal. He acted like he was just another guy in there to have a beer and watch the Leaf game. He didn't want attention or special treatment; just a beer and a chance watch the game with some real fans. I, and everyone else, slowly went up and said hi to him, and he was happy to talk to all of us. There was no arrogance or entitlement, he was a class act.

Congrats Mats! This city will always love you. Tune in to HNIC tonight and give this man a HOLY MACKINAW!!!

[video=youtube;CJkt59IVcv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkt59IVcv4[/video]

Last edited:
Just thought I would pop in here again. Last night's game. Ugh.... Rant time!

I am so done with Gus. He makes some great saves. But he is just too unreliable. You never know if you are going to get shutout Gus or deflect-a-wide-shot-into-your-own-net Gus.

And I'm done with Reimer too. He just can't pull it together since his concussion. He's a fine 2nd goalie, but not a regular starter. I would love to be proved wrong! But I don't think I will be.

All the possible trades being talked about for a goalie or a big centre sound too costly in talent or in salary cap space. I don't see how we can get Nash without giving up some serious assets. It's a sellers market and Columbus knows it.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way forward is to better coach the existing team we have. Now maybe some dead weight (Komisarek and Armstrong [also effed since his concussion which hurts to say because he is one of the nicest players to meet in person]) can be traded for picks or potential, but the real work has to be done by the coaches bringing together the vets and whipping the rookies into shape. I'm not sure anymore that Wilson is up to this task!

Last edited:
You can't put any blame on the goalies at all this season. It's all Wilson. He must stop changing the lineup every single game. It was the exact same last year with Reimer coming in when Giggy was injured. Give a goalie a time to get his groove and he'll play great and the team plays great in front of him. Look at January and you'll see the numbers don't lie.

Well I just thought I would wrap up this thread with one more comment on the season.

The tanking in February was rough, but then March was just a nightmare. I cannot remember the last time The Leafs went into the All-Star break on such a high only to have such an epic collapse.

So out came the knives and pitchforks. Days after everyone was cheering every member of the team, they were all suddenly bad players. Phaneuf had no "leadership". Huh? Kessel was "awful". What? "Too many Americans". FUCK YOU CHERRY!

Burke once said Toronto is the hardest place to play hockey and I agree, because Toronto has massive amounts of "Leaf" fans who know practically nothing about hockey and latch on to whatever narrative the local media decides to churn out to attract readers, no matter how obviously false it is. I am not saying the team has no flaws. Goaltending is awful, defence is not where it needs to be to make the playoffs and there are some bad contracts (Komi and Army especially). But the blame for this should not hang on relatively young players like Kessel and Phaneuf who performed well according to all stats. Phaneuf just got the number one hit of the season per TSN and two of the top 10. He goes into the corners and plays a gritty game. Yes, he sometimes lets the "pests" walk over him, but they then take penalties from that and the Leafs get great scoring chances from it. He picks his battles wisely. The talk of a lack of "leadership" or a rift with Schenn is just BS. As far as I can see the people propagating this rumour have no access to the locker room and no way to verify this. I have actually seen Phaneuf and Schenn out together (at Real Sports in March) and they looked fine. I don't understand where this comes from. Kessel was among the NHL's top scorers this year with 37 goals and 45 assists. What more do people want this guy to do? It does not need to be his jobhis job to get huge hits or block shots or take out the opposing defenders. He does exactly what he needs to, score goals. There are 4 other guys on the ice to take care of the rest. I don't understand the hate, beyond the xenophobi Cherry style "not Canadian" attack, which is just pathetic.

All of the above being said, Burke is his own worst enemy. He makes fantastical pronouncements he knows this team can't live up to. He is bad or he gets bad advice on signing free agents. He needs to make some critical moves this summer. Sign a vet in goal, deal with at least one of the garbage contracts (hopefully from a CBA amnesty) and trade for a solid centre for the first or second line. I really do think Burke is still the best man for the job, but this is the last chance to prove that.

Anyway. I am still a fan and proud to be one.

[video=youtube;AOL7CF2yRik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOL7CF2yRik[/video]

Now as for the playoffs this year, I am strongly rooting for the Flyers. Bryzgalov, Jagr, Hartnell, Couturier... it's an awesome team and I think they deserve to win the cup! The way they have been playing against the Pens has certainly made for some entertaining games so far.

EDIT: I forgot to comment on The Marlies. There is some awesome hockey being played on that team and they are now going to the AHL playoffs. Go to a game if you get the chance. It is a fun atmosphere and you get to see some of the Leafs top prospects and young players. Just remember the concession stands at Ricoh are just awful. Expect massive lineups and staff who need 5 minutes to pour one beer.

They have some great fun like this play which was probably the most famous AHL goal this year (and if you look closely wasn't a goal at all, but that's for another board to debate!)

Last edited:
this is the last chance to prove that.
I agree with that.

12-13: No playoffs = Burke gets fired. I think the open apology to the fans from Tannenbaum pretty much confirmed that.

13-14: Also no playoffs = season ticket holders revolt (less sure about this prediction owing to widespread masochism among Leaf fans).

All of the above being said, Burke is his own worst enemy. He makes fantastical pronouncements he knows this team can't live up to. He is bad or he gets bad advice on signing free agents. He needs to make some critical moves this summer. Sign a vet in goal, deal with at least one of the garbage contracts (hopefully from a CBA amnesty) and trade for a solid centre for the first or second line. I really do think Burke is still the best man for the job, but this is the last chance to prove that.

I agree, Burke is own worst enemy. I have to say it's a little disconcerting how he continually misjudges the team and personnel, year after year. I think this was the 3rd year in a row they were supposed to have one of the best defences in the NHL. :p

I''m curious to see what he does in the offseason. At this point the best hope for the Leafs to get a 1st line forward is probably at the draft (he may not be ready for a few years).

13-14: Also no playoffs = season ticket holders revolt (less sure about this prediction owing to widespread masochism among Leaf fans).

The only way ticket sales will take a hit is if the government stops allowing business' to write off sport events as a business expense.

Sell the farm and get a goalie with a veteran back up.

I''m curious to see what he does in the offseason. At this point the best hope for the Leafs to get a 1st line forward is probably at the draft (he may not be ready for a few years).

I think you're right, because the reality is The Leafs just don't have the assets to trade for a top centre. Drafting is an option, but even then, without the first pick it's a craphoot. There is talk we could trade up fro Yakupov as Edmonton really doesn't need another centre, but if their pick is on the market the competition will be fierce. I know Nash will be on the market, but who will we trade to get him? Word is at the deadline, CBJ wanted Gardiner and Grabovski and Kadri and our first round pick! Four good players for one great one is not a good deal.

EDIT: Oh and The Marlies won their first game of the AHL playoffs! Some good kids coming up the pipeline for next season and the one after.

Last edited:
I think you're right, because the reality is The Leafs just don't have the assets to trade for a top centre. Drafting is an option, but even then, without the first pick it's a craphoot. There is talk we could trade up fro Yakupov as Edmonton really doesn't need another centre, but if their pick is on the market the competition will be fierce. I know Nash will be on the market, but who will we trade to get him? Word is at the deadline, CBJ wanted Gardiner and Grabovski and Kadri and our first round pick! Four good players for one great one is not a good deal.

EDIT: Oh and The Marlies won their first game of the AHL playoffs! Some good kids coming up the pipeline for next season and the one after.

Yakupov plays Right Wing. Reports are that the Oilers aren't moving that pick, and why would they? You don't pass on elite talent like that, and they can get a top 4 d-man by parting with some of the other pieces they've accumulated (Omark, Lander, Svensson-Paajarvi, Gagner...)

Yakupov plays Right Wing. Reports are that the Oilers aren't moving that pick, and why would they? You don't pass on elite talent like that, and they can get a top 4 d-man by parting with some of the other pieces they've accumulated (Omark, Lander, Svensson-Paajarvi, Gagner...)

Yes you are right about his position, Also when I wrote that, I forgot about Edmonton moving up via the lottery (I was pretty wasted.) Poor Columbus.

The solution to our goalie troubles? I'm sure it's a very long shot for Burke to get him here in the first place, but I would not mind if he did, though his bazillion year contract would keep me up at night.

4445820631_2fb519deea.jpg

The Toronto Marlies are having a fantastic season this year. The Marlies are the Maple Leafs minor league affiliate. A few of the youngest players from the Leafs were actually sent down to help the team in the playoffs.

They are now up to the AHL Western Conference Final. They can win the conference with a victory on Friday night vs. the Oklahoma City Barons (the Edmonton Oilers' affiliate). If they win the conference, they will go to the AHL finals to play for the Calder Cup. They will play against the Norfolk Admirals, a team that had an incredible 28 game win streak in the regular season.

There has been some fantastic hockey, especially from the goaltender Ben Scrivens.

The games are great entertainment for good value. The most expensive seats are only $45 and you can get tickets for as little as $15 or less. They play at Ricoh Coliseum. Just watch out for the very slow service at the concession stands. They are clearly not accustomed to crowds!

UPDATE: The Marlies WON!!!

468339_10151740101290702_634595701_24384021_210218992_o.jpg

Congrats Marlies on being the AHL Western Conference Champions (yes, somehow, Toronto wound up in the west conference of the AHL.)

Next up is the AHL Calder Cup finals. The Marlies will play against The Norfolk (Virginia) Admirals. The Admirals are an exceptionally strong team, so we can look forward to some intense, edge of your seat games.

I encourage any hockey fans out there to get tickets. If you have never been to an AHL game before you will not be disappointed. The game play is 90% of the NHL level, they put on a great show, the fans at Ricoh are passionate, and best of all, the tickets are cheap!

Attachments

• 468339_10151740101290702_634595701_24384021_210218992_o.jpg
    468339_10151740101290702_634595701_24384021_210218992_o.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 275
I used to like the leafs.

But then they changed this team completely. It does not have that character that it used to. I just don't have much love for it.
And then to get verseteeg from chicago for like nothing, and to lose him to florida (where he's producing like a point per game) for nothing... a big slap in the face. Sigh.

I don't care about the marlies. AHL will always be second tier, something that most fans don't care about much.

Back