News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2007 Ontario Election: John Tory throws the Election!

On global new a new Ipos Ried poll out.

Liberal:43%
Tory:32%
NDP:18%
Green:6%

Seat projections are
Liberal:66
Tory:34
NDP:9

that means Tory will pick up 11 seats but mostly the newly created ones.

Really there are no signs of a Tory comeback, and the Long weekend will have people tunning out of the election till Monday and really by then to late.

I cringe when saying it, but the McGuinty government has easily been Ontario's best since the Davis years. So, I'm not surprised that they will be coasting to another majority. In fact, I"m mostly comfortable with that prospect. What's really sad though is that once again the urban agenda got pushed aside in an election where it could have been front and centre. Sure, Tory takes some of the blame for this, but so do our lazy media. However, the Liberals take a huge portion of the blame too as they have still failed to address the funding inequities that is making local governments sink and were quite happy to have the campaign high-jacked by religious school funding. Yet, Toronto will continue to reward the Grits despite this.

as a student i say Dalton done a good job on the school system...
I Remember the Harris years, no new textbooks, no money for computers, no money for field trips, no money to pay the teachers.
I do thank him for finally opening a new hospital in Brampton, however there are questions whether the old one will remain open. The Tories said they will keep it open and renovate it. However trusting the Tories to improve social services is like believing a NDPer that he won't raise taxes.

Ipos-ried Oct 2-4th
1005electionpoll.jpg

Well the Tory have picked up a tad in the 905, meaning they could pick up seats like Brampton west, Mississauga south, Thornhill, Richmond hill.

I cringe when saying it, but the McGuinty government has easily been Ontario's best since the Davis years. So, I'm not surprised that they will be coasting to another majority. In fact, I"m mostly comfortable with that prospect. What's really sad though is that once again the urban agenda got pushed aside in an election where it could have been front and centre. Sure, Tory takes some of the blame for this, but so do our lazy media. However, the Liberals take a huge portion of the blame too as they have still failed to address the funding inequities that is making local governments sink and were quite happy to have the campaign high-jacked by religious school funding. Yet, Toronto will continue to reward the Grits despite this.

That's my view as well. Nicely put. While I don't mind John Tory, it's his own fault for allowing the stupid school issue to be front and centre, and by doing so did Toronto and municipalities in general a real disservice. Hampton's the only one who has done any more than merely pay lip service to the issue. Sorbara seems to have little regard for cities, though I imagine others in the caucus do. I hope there's a new finance minister this time around.

As for the lazy media, I've almost given up. Even the Toronto Star will always endorse the Liberals, even when supposedly it's a champion of the city agenda. Only Royson James (surprise!) has conditionally endorsed the Dippers.

^McGuinty has not claimed victory.

And as far as I'm concerned the wild card is the public. If some feel bored by the election, they may simply not go out to vote, and that could provide some potentially interesting results in certain areas of the province.

Uh, yes he has.

The Star has been annoying me with their unqualified Liberal support that's tantamount to cheerleading. They claim to support issues dealing with poverty, environment, downloading, education, when the NDP's platform is the strongest on these issues. It'd be different to give qualified or conditional support in saying that the Liberals have the best chance, or they deserve another term to fixed what they neglected in the first term, but there's no real criticism from its editorial pages.

They also say that the first-past-the-post system is "not broken" and is fine. It's one thing to point out flaws with MMP, but to say that the current system is "working fine" is a bit rich.

it would be nice if a huge chunk of the conservative voters would switch to the green party and the ndp; of course this will never happen if most conservative votes are based on ideology rather than misinformation, which we can't deny that there are voters out there that don't have a clue, but it would be nice. then we could finally have some real debate and tackle some issues which i think are important and beneficial to the the big picture such as freedoms (which include travel, transportation, personal & security) knowledge & health. the conservatives most of the time high jack the debate with rules based on supernatural world views which takes the focus off issues that can help alot of people in a tangible way.

you know, banning gay marriage, providing faith based schools, increased presence of god in the overall government and society might make certain people feel good in their head but they are ignoring the things that make you feel good in reality.

Query whether John Tory will do what Richard Hatfield did - date his resignation letter as of the minute the polls closed.

i don't like the NDP, they are idealists and fool the people thinking they can do all of those things easily...

none the less they will steal a lot of support from the Tories and got 12 seats...

The Liberals will win no doubt...

Uh, yes he has.

Reread the article and keep in mind what the word "claim" means. Nowhere has he stated anything along the lines "I have won the election." He has used the word "when" in his positive messaging concerning his chances. The language is suggestive. Would anyone actually expect a politician during an election to speak as if losing the election?

Back