One Bloor East Condos (Great Gulf Homes) - Real Estate -

This 2 bed, 2 bath craze has me perplexed as well. Do people really love their ensuites that much? I've never really cared whether I walk 15 feet to an ensuite or 20 feet to one down the hallway.

This 2 bed, 2 bath craze has me perplexed as well. Do people really love their ensuites that much? I've never really cared whether I walk 15 feet to an ensuite or 20 feet to one down the hallway.

I'd rather have my own personal bathroom for sanitary reasons.

Well, if there's 2-3 living in a bdrm and you have guests. What if everyone needs to go to the washroom at once? Or if you have one bathroom, but 2 people need to use it at once? Run down stairs to the amenities one? Elevators maybe slow while you hold it in.

Well, if there's 2-3 living in a bdrm and you have guests. What if everyone needs to go to the washroom at once? Or if you have one bathroom, but 2 people need to use it at once? Run down stairs to the amenities one? Elevators maybe slow while you hold it in.

So what? People can adapt and be patient. It's not that hard.

I, too, do not understand the 2 bed 2 bath thing.

Is the lost square footage to a bathroom really worth paying extra thousands of dollars just so two people can pee at the same time during one of the perhaps, dozen of parties you are going to hold at your condo over the life of your ownership? Your friends should thank you for their $10,000 pee.

it wasn't disasterous for our parents' generation where 4-5 people lived in 3 bedroom, 1 bath 900 SF bungalows.

it wasn't disasterous for our parents' generation where 4-5 people lived in 3 bedroom, 1 bath 900 SF bungalows.

I grew up with 1 bathroom and several people in the family. So we did have to share the bathroom. But I remember having to hold it in sometimes and banging on doors to rush people out of the washroom. It's just more convenient to have two people. Holding it in isn't very good for the health. Also, if someone is in the washroom showing and you need to go. It's also a pain. We end up having to leave the door open in case. So at least it could be shared.

I grew up with 1 bathroom and several people in the family. So we did have to share the bathroom. But I remember having to hold it in sometimes and banging on doors to rush people out of the washroom. It's just more convenient to have two people. Holding it in isn't very good for the health. Also, if someone is in the washroom showing and you need to go. It's also a pain. We end up having to leave the door open in case. So at least it could be shared.

lol ... i laugh b/c i can sympathize.
instead of 2 full baths in these small 2 bed condos, perhaps the better alternative is a powder room

I love linear bathrooms that have an entrance from the master AND and entrance from the hallway. They're even better if they use a bit more space and make a larger bathing area and then put a sliding door between the loo and the shower. That way it can be both public/private and ensuite/powder!

When I look at the interior walls on each floor it doesn't look like the floor plan is actually that big. I count about 10 small units per floor? Really look tiny when viewed from above, but I'm sure a house would look small too if you took the roof and front wall off. I guess we don't actually need that much space to live.

My thinking too. The rising cost of real estate in the core is going to ensure that people will learn to make do with less.

Quite the small floorplate, for sure. Might make the tower exceedingly graceful as it climbs to its ultimate height. Not a gargantuan hulking presence like that thing down the street, but hopefully far more refined.

When I look at the interior walls on each floor it doesn't look like the floor plan is actually that big. I count about 10 small units per floor? Really look tiny when viewed from above, but I'm sure a house would look small too if you took the roof and front wall off. I guess we don't actually need that much space to live.

You are spot on. things really look a lot smaller than I'd expected.
For some weeks now with the help of the photos provided, I've been trying to place the attached floorplan "passion" into the tower floor plate. Even though different floors has different plans, from the structural beams, the location of the elevator shaft, you can pretty much figure out where each room starts and end. I can't believe how small the living room is gonna be. From the 1st sight of the tower plate, I've been in denial, hopping it must be a perceptive error on my part or somehow the tower is gonna be larger at the top. The kitchen and living combined has only a width of 20"11. Maybe ok for unit <1000sqft. But a 10 ft wide living, in a 1400sqft unit?

Looking at the attached floorplan, can anyone advice if you see/find 1405sqft space?

Attachments

• Passion 2bdrm+den.jpg
    Passion 2bdrm+den.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,208
I'm not commenting on the value for money but I don't see too much of a problem with this layout. That is a 10' den not living room. 10' is a perfectly reasonable viewing distance given today's wall mounted flat-screens. How many people living in the inner city are lucky enough to have a 20'11" (approximately 21') square space especially a light filled one?

I've been trying to place the attached floorplan "passion" into the tower floor plate. Even though different floors has different plans, from the structural beams, the location of the elevator shaft, you can pretty much figure out where each room starts and end.

I think you can expect a transfer floor at level 60 (or somewhere below) as the concrete walls in your unit and those shown in the photos do not line up. (i.e. on level 60, a structural wall lines up with the elevator corridor, but there isn't one in the photos). The transfer floor would allow shifting of the structural walls (adn possibly a higher ceiling on that level - and perhaps discontinuity in the curtain wall appearance and/or vertical spacing of balconies (like Aura))

Last edited:
That is a 10' den not living room. 10' is a perfectly reasonable viewing distance given today's wall mounted flat-screens.
I meant 21 x 21 is split between Kitchen and Living, so Living is really only 10.5" somewhat narrow, no?
hope it turns out well.
Sorry about the floorplan, new to the forum. didn't know it's was no no. just thought I bring it up since the discussion was on size of floor plate.

Back