News   May 23, 2024
 168     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 923     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 727     1 

TTC: Lower Bay Station (closed to public)

Why didn't they just use Lower Bay station as Bay station and keep the lines seperate.

That would require rebuilding the stairwells, installing new escalators and tearing down the tiles that sealed lower bay off from Bay station.

PS. I noticed the tiles around the entrances to lower bay on Bay station have been removed. Is that part of the prep work for doors open?

The Lower Bay detour to Museum station is back - for Victoria Day weekend:

BD_weekendclosure.gif

http://www3.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/BloorDanforth_Weekend_Closure.jsp

It's funny how the TTC can use the wye when it conveniences them. I remember that it worked fairly well in the morning rush period when the system would start fresh and all the trains were on schedule. But, as the day wore on, things would always get messed up as the headways changed for the PM rush.

It's funny how the TTC can use the wye when it conveniences them.
The use of the wye results in lower capacity for both lines. They won't be able to run as many trains as they usually do on the weekend, and will come no where near the capacity they have on a weekend rush-hour. Not so much funny, as a simple function of demand and capacity.

If lower Bay is open during Open Doors Weekend, I hope they bring in the track work cars to show the public what take place at night to keep the system running.

The wye didn't reduce capacity in its original configuration. You're forgetting that we have three services merging instead of the original two (YUB and YUD). The only difference was that E-W service between Bay and St. George was half of what it is now.

The wye didn't reduce capacity in its original configuration. You're forgetting that we have three services merging instead of the original two (YUB and YUD). The only difference was that E-W service between Bay and St. George was half of what it is now.
I'm not forgetting that we now have three services. But we do now have three services ... that's the whole point isn't it?

I just don't see the need for these constant digressions to debate a decision that was made 5 decades ago.

nightmare

i drove the b/d during the last detour, i've now transferred to a different mode but it was a nightmare and inefficient system last time around. my friends are dreading doing it again. there is nothing to gain by interlining and it should not even be considered. it magnifies delays on both lines and any event downtown on the YUS can paralyze both lines. put it to rest

First it is never going to be used, it was a bad idea back then and it still is.

Second Transit Control does not like using it.

Thirdly......whats with the fascination about Lower Bay? Its just another station like all the other ones.

It was kind of fascinating when this thread was started in 2007, as I don't think it had been opened to the public in decades. People used to (stupidly) run the subway tunnels to see it: http://www.infiltration.org/transit-subway.html

Now they've opened it for Doors Open and Nuit Blanche and all sorts of parties and such. It's lost its intrigue.

Back