News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 617     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Lower Bay Station (closed to public)

Re: Doors Open

Link to article

Rare chances to see abandoned subway station
'Lower Bay' will be part of detour and doors open event

James Cowan
National Post

Friday, February 23, 2007

Torontonians intrigued by the ghost subway station under Yorkville are finally being given a chance to explore it.

Commonly called "Lower Bay" or "Bay Lower" station, the phantom stop was only used for six months in 1966.

Since then, it has served as a set for many big-budget Hollywood movies and has become a point of curiosity for public transit buffs and amateur historians. Some have even risked arrest by sneaking into the fabled station. Now, curious members of the public have two opportunities to visit the decommissioned site.

On May 26, the station will be part of the city's annual Doors Open event for the first time. The two-day program grants visitors access to buildings normally closed to the public. Lower Bay has been a top request for inclusion since Doors Open started nine years ago, according to project manager Jane French.

"It feels like we've landed a big fish," Ms. French confirmed in an interview. "I've been with this program since day one, and every year when we ask people to suggest buildings to visit, the station is mentioned. It seems to be something that is part of an urban mythology."

Plans currently call for the station to be open to the public for just three hours, but Ms. French said she hopes the hours can be extended. "I honestly believe people will be lined up around the block to say that they've been there, even if it just looks like a TTC station, which I gather it does," she said.

The curious will also have a chance for a sneak peek at the station on the coming weekends. Transit officials intend to detour trains through the abandoned stop for the next seven Saturdays and Sundays to allow for maintenance work. Scott Haskill, a senior planner with the TTC's service planning division, said service is being diverted to allow crews to complete repairs of a tunnel roof located under the Park Hyatt hotel.

"The work is being done at a fortunate location because we can take trains around the closed section, which is quite unusual," Mr. Haskill said.

The trains will divert along a rarely used piece of track that connects the Yonge and Bloor- Danforth subway lines. The detour will close Bay station and see both eastbound and westbound trains terminating at Museum station instead. It will be as trains head westward from Museum that they will pass through Lower Bay.

"The closed track is located on a 'wye,' or a triangle of track," Mr. Haskill said "Fortunately, we have the other two sides of the triangle to get trains through."

Mr. Haskill said Lower Bay will be illuminated but subway trains will not stop -- or even slow down -- as they trundle through it.

When Lower Bay station was built, plans called for some trains to run "interline," or switch between the Yonge and Bloor-Danforth routes while still carrying passengers. Under this system, a rider would have been able to catch a train at Union station headed north, have the train switch tracks to travel west and then depart at Bathurst station. Bay station was originally going to serve as a transfer point and was constructed as a mirror image of nearby St. George station. However, the interline system only lasted for six months. Passengers found it difficult to navigate, and the wye proved difficult for the TTC to manage.

Now accessible through a service stairwell, the derelict station has become a popular location for shooting movies and commercials. Among the films shot at Lower Bay are 16 Blocks, starring Bruce Willis, Chow Yun- Fat's Bulletproof Monk, Johnny Mnemonic with Keanu Reeves and New York Minute with the Olsen twins.

Just rode it this morning.

That Lower Bay sure looks a bit run down..

When I visited it, I definitely noticed the grime that had built up. I guess it makes it a better stand-in for New York.

On the way back from work I see it yet again.

Although this time the train driver gave a history lesson as we were passing through it and said the movie stars are hiding because of all the trains passing through.

He also said we were charged free admission for the tour :hat

I've got a bad cold and am staying in today. I plan to check it out tomorrow.

What's it like at Museum with the crowds and the transferring?

^I just got back from riding it. Very confusing for alot of the passengers. First the train stalled east of Spadina Stn. for almost 10 mins, by which time two w/b trains had already passed us. At St. Geogre the portals to the lower platform were sealed off. Then it was another 3 min delay to enter Museum where the entire platform was stuffed to the roster with very little walking space left. The guards and intercom were very helpful with maps in hand directing passengers though one girl in my car still wound up going to Yonge instead of to her destination, Dufferin.

Afterwards we by-passed Lower Bay. I was expecting it to be alot more dilapidated than what I saw. The name signs were gritty and you could tell they were plastered over at some point, likely to disguise the stn as a movie prop. The platfrom and tilings were clean and in good space except for air-vent gaps in the walls reminiscent of St Geogre. There were some boarded up parts, likely consealing stairwells as I couldn't make out any visible ones. The conductor told us on my way back they still used it for training exercises and as a movie set. The worst part for me was when I boarded at the west end of Yonge Stn, as my stop's nearest exit was west, only to wind up at the east end during the interchange. Everyone at my stop made the same mistake as it was impossible to walk to the bottom of Museum to get back in order due to all the people.

Thanks for the description.

I think the TTC did an adequate job in informing the public, but not a great one. Notices in the ad space in the trains would have been very useful (instead of the Special Constables, the one I just don't get that's hurrah to the unions because of the new hybrid buses - I guess ads as a sop to the unions have to show up once in a whiles).

But the signage at the affected stations are good (they are all over the Bloor stations, but not the YUS stations!), and at least there was some notice, unlike some of the TTC service changes or MT changes.

Re: Lower Bay

Cool video. Why is the subway going so slowly through Lower Bay if its not even stopping there?

some ppl thought they were going thru the regular bay station, and thought they stripped the place or something!

If it's going slowly, it might be a normal "dormant station" thing, i.e. it isn't designed for going rapidly through...

Yes, I think the clearances are very tight in stations and running through there at high speed risks damage,

Yes, I think the clearances are very tight in stations and running through there at high speed risks damage,

Is this fast enough? We were traveling at 3/4 the speed in the tunnels.
IMG_0239

umm, the picture is rather large don't you think? I get the point though.

I passed through it twice tonight, for some reason the station and the tunnels have much higher ceilings than the regular bay station, and it had an erie psych-ward feel to it.

From the YouTube videos I've seen, Lower Bay is actually in better condition than I imagined it would be. The high ceilings are actually quite nice. With a little sprucing up (e.g. in terms of the signage) it would be just like any other TTC station. Although calling it "Lower Bay" is kinda confusing. No one calls the bottom of St George station "Lower St. George"

Back