News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 577     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Lower Bay Station (closed to public)

Re: Doors Open

Weren't all stations once high-ceilinged like that (before insulation, etc)?

The station looks to be well kept because the TTC makes a point of tidying the station up before anyone gets to see it. On a normal day most of the lights will be burnt out, there's debris on the platform, and a thick layer of brake dust covers everything.

Is the station used for filming movies? Maybe that's why it's in decent shape.

Yes it is. I went down there on a film shoot once. I saw the door open, tried to peek down, and this special constable literally screamed at me to get the hell away. My friend and I then simply struck up a conversation with the director as he was walking past, and he invited us down to look at everything. The special constable scowled as we walked past.

It's grimy and some sections of wall have been redone to resemble New York stations.

I went through, the train was going through at a good clip, going through almost felt anti-climatic. The transfer was easy - the eastbound train I was on left Museum just as the one to Kennedy was arriving.

I almost pity the supervisors making the same announcements over and over on the megaphones.

simply Dan and I rode the dark side of the wye yesterday and found it quite fun actually. Since the system is basically "interlined" on these weekends, expect long-delays and Montreal-style waits on both the B-D and the Y-U-S. We were unlucky with connections, but it still took us 30 minutes to go from Spadina to Yonge-Bloor. No joke!

In general, everything was well signed and well announced, but there still seemed to be quite a bit of confusion. One dude was screaming at a TTC worker and was threatening to "take care of him outside" on the Museum platform. Security was promptly called thankfully. It's funny, the route changes slightly for the first time in 41 years and some people just lose it. I also loved watching the iPod people look in astonishment as their B-D train pulled into Museum station from Spadina. They would pull out their earphones, shake their heads, rub their eyes and look up at the TTC map in confusion.

Museum is a perfect station to be a temporary hub. Wide centre platform and no clutter! Why wasn't Union built like this?

I got tingles as we rode through Lower Bay, but I guess in retrospect it was a bit underwhelming. I didn't hear anybody really say it right out, but I got the impression from subway chatter that people thought it was regular Bay Station that was being worked on as we plyed through Lower Bay. Dan and I did notice the high ceilings right away and that it was indeed cleaner that it has looked in any pictures I've seen of it recently. All in all, a fun way to spend 30 minutes if you don't mind the crowds.

P.S. That picture should be removed or re-sized as it's making this thread horrible to read.

If you're interested, I have pictures from Lower Bay on my flickr site, taken back in December 2005. The station certainly wasn't clean that day.

Start with this pic and then continue by clicking on the thumbnail of the disassembled escalator. There are nearly a dozen pictures of Lower Bay that follow.

crafty 42

If you're interested, I have pictures from Lower Bay on my flickr site

Great photos! How did you get down there?

I must have gotten really lucky this weekend - it seems most people have been reporting that the train they were on just sped right through Lower Bay, but the one I was on actually came to a full stop in the station for at least 5 minutes, so I got to take it all in, which was a great experience after having heard about this legendary place for so many years. It almost seemed as if the doors would open at any second...

Depends on which direction you're going--if you're going eastbound, you're more likely to speed up, but if you're going "inbound" into Museum, there's a good chance of getting into a conga line.

A lot of those "most people" must have been going east, t/w Yonge + beyond...

BTW the tunnel-rebuilding in question: does this relate to 1 Bedford construction?

None whatsoever. Anyway, 1 Bedford would be closest to the far east side of St. George Station, and the trains are of couse using the upper level of that - the diversion is for a section further east, under the Park Plaza, I believe.

And that's it. The construction is finished, back to regular service this weekend.

Good point. I say railfans should liberate them if they stay up this weekend.

Why didn't they just use Lower Bay station as Bay station and keep the lines seperate.

Back