News   Apr 30, 2024
 284     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 771     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

The historical references and ornamentation of postmodernism which I speak of would be on the new facade, if they existed.

Wait a second, so referencing modernism is okay but referencing postmodernism or deco or other movements from the past isn't? The fact that you happen to prefer one over the other, or that one happens to be more in vogue than others in the city at the moment, doesn't make a neo-modernist approach any less historicist than others.

Here's some close ups taken this afternoon.

bac4.jpg
bac1.jpg

bac2.jpg

bac3.jpg

bac5.jpg

I stumble upon another section of the Tower Crane being lower today.

I caught the first photo at 11:55 over on Queens St at York St. Upon closer looking of the photo at home, the boom crane was preparing to lower the mast of the tower. While taking a photo from Queen St (12:00) to get a shot of the broken windows I forgot to take last week, the lowering had just started. I counted 9 broken windows.

Since I just my other camera back yesterday allowing me to catch full size video's. The new camera that is only week old is toast.

Took 31+ minutes to lower the mast. Did a time-lapes using video's and photo shots.

3116646929_1a6a519785_b.jpg

3116647707_a8588ab5b1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wait a second, so referencing modernism is okay but referencing postmodernism or deco or other movements from the past isn't? The fact that you happen to prefer one over the other, or that one happens to be more in vogue than others in the city at the moment, doesn't make a neo-modernist approach any less historicist than others.

I never so much as implied that referencing deco isn't okay. I was merely noting that referencing the art deco top most notable in the Chrysler tower has been overdone to the point of boredom and banality, which reminds me of adjectives used by postmodernists on modernism. It's been done. Now, perhaps something else can be referenced from thousands of years of recorded architectural history other than the Chrysler Tower.

Also, how do you mean neo-modernism to be historicist? It's not about referencing the modernist aesthetic, but once again embracing the movement's tenets.

Granted ... let's wait and see if they're more then just fins though ;)

Let's hope that is the case otherwise it is pretty weak.

'Weak' is an understatement. I find it disheartening that this 'screen-like' row of glass or plastic is considered "design" - using any definition of that word.

I never so much as implied that referencing deco isn't okay. I was merely noting that referencing the art deco top most notable in the Chrysler tower has been overdone to the point of boredom and banality, which reminds me of adjectives used by postmodernists on modernism. It's been done. Now, perhaps something else can be referenced from thousands of years of recorded architectural history other than the Chrysler Tower.

Yes, I've reread your posts and I do agree with you. I think I missread them before.

I can totally understand why the fins are on BAC. Fins are all the rage!

In Toronto, if things go right, we'll have a couple of more fin-raising events when these buildings are near completion...

zTelus.jpg

25 York Street

ShangriLaToronto.jpg

Shangri-La

FourSeasons_230.jpg

Four Seasons

Fins outside Toronto...

7_mainnytimesb.jpg

NYT Building, New York

ICC.jpg

International Commerce Centre, Hong Kong

The problem is, these things look like railings (as they are about as high), not the fins of buildings like the New York Times building.

Ya the fins on the new york times tower are huge.... like 10 meters high....... i also have a question so do the fins count on the overall buildings hight??

Back