News   May 08, 2024
 277     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 429     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 644     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Oct 14
Since the Leslie Barns can't solve the problem for 4604, we will shipped it to Russell Carhouse for them to do it. After almost 3 weeks at Russell it went back to the Barns for a few days and then sent it to Roncesvalles last night. I thought it would entre service from Roncesvalles yard when I saw the tracking for it this morning.

Didn't see the car in the yard when I got to the area and thought it entre service. How wrong was I.

After shooting the Queensway, went to catch the 504 and behold I see 4604 on Roncesvalles about to turn onto the Queensway. As it got closer to me, I see a bottom panel at the front was missing and thought it hit something or a new look.

Shot that area as the car past me and well working on it, I see it wasn't a small panel missing, but the whole side panel. Did it hit something or is it Roncesvalles turn to solve the problem for the car that been here 66 days so far??

Its the first car I see this way before entering service
53258655428_c1fbd0bd13_b.jpg

53258709879_a7c6c165f5_b.jpg

53258655293_49841cdcb8_b.jpg

Oct 20
4605 just left Leslie yard for some on street testing

4605 Out and About on a Saturday afternoon - westbound on King Street at Spadina. Cover plate pieces on a number of service points are either missing or not properly in place.

1000001985.jpg

1000001986.jpg

20231021_165809.jpg

Last edited:
4605 Out and About on a Saturday afternoon - westbound on King Street at Spadina. Cover plate pieces on a number of service points are either missing or not properly in place.
View attachment 514717

View attachment 514719

View attachment 514720
It went out early last night for testing and return at 6:30 am today. It then went out again about an hour later and is still out. This may see service by Nov 12.

None of the current fleet went out looking like that for testing and points to a problem found on 4604 that is still in the service bays after 72 days and the longest a first production car hasn't gone into service. 4403 only took 61 days to enter service.

None of the current fleet went out looking like that for testing and points to a problem found on 4604 that is still in the service bays after 72 days and the longest a first production car hasn't gone into service. 4403 only took 61 days to enter service.
Perhaps you mean a different car, as 4403 took 92 days to commission on being delivered in 2014 (delivered May 31, 2014; entered service August 31, 2014), and 99 days (which is presently the all time record) to recommission it after it went to La Pocatiere to undergo re-welding in 2019 (returned on February 27, 2020 and recommissioned on June 5, 2020).

It would be nice if there was some openness and transparency about the status of 4604. It's been almost 2 months since the car was supposed to enter service, the first rumblings of such having been heard back at the end of August, early September, it would be nice if someone was able to say what exactly the problem with the car is. But then, it would also be rather agreeable to win the lottery. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Perhaps you mean a different car, as 4403 took 92 days to commission on being delivered in 2014 (delivered May 31, 2014; entered service August 31, 2014), and 99 days (which is presently the all time record) to recommission it after it went to La Pocatiere to undergo re-welding in 2019 (returned on February 27, 2020 and recommissioned on June 5, 2020).

It would be nice if there was some openness and transparency about the status of 4604. It's been almost 2 months since the car was supposed to enter service, the first rumblings of such having been heard back at the end of August, early September, it would be nice if someone was able to say what exactly the problem with the car is. But then, it would also be rather agreeable to win the lottery. :rolleyes:
My mistake as I have a wrong number for days some how. Wasn't expecting 4604 to entre service faster than 4403.

92 days for 4403 as I have May 31/2014 to August 31/2014, 19 days for 4404 and 85 days for 4405. Between 4403 and 4405, 4604 on schedule to meet schedule for a production car.

I have February 20/2019 to February 27/2020 been off site for 367 day and took 99 day June 05/2020 to re-enter service for 4403 with 4404 seeing 501 days off site

TTC never been open about most things and it will have to be someone in TTC at Leslie to tell use what going on and away to do it so they can't be track by TTC. Same for 4478 and 4481

4605 out testing

Reactions: T3G
Nov 17
Cross-post

With this announcement, we should see 1 or 2 more cars this year and about 28 or more in 2024 with the balance in 2025 compared to the plan 20 per year until 2026

The tracker is only now showing 4604 going westbound on King St E that is 8 hours old and doesn't match 4601 data heading eastbound on 504 for some unknown reason.

TTC launches brand new streetcars
Sixty new streetcars will be delivered by 2025

Nov. 17, 2023

The first of 60 new Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) streetcars officially entered service today, Fri., Nov. 17, with an inaugural run on the 504 King route. The new streetcars are jointly funded by $568 million in contributions from the federal government, Ontario government, and City of Toronto.

The new vehicles are being produced by Alstom at their Thunder Bay facility. The remaining streetcars will be delivered throughout 2023, 2024 and 2025.

“A thriving Toronto—with reliable and sustainable public transit—is very much a part of our economic plan. Just as creating good-paying, middle-class jobs in Canada and in this city is central to our economic plan,” said Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance. “We are investing in Toronto, and in Toronto’s transit infrastructure. These new made-in-Canada streetcars for the TTC are yet another example of how the people of Toronto have no greater partner than our federal government.”

“Supporting modern, safe, and reliable public transit for Canadians across the country helps build more connected communities, a stronger economy, and a cleaner environment,” said the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities. “The arrival of these new vehicles ensures that taking a streetcar in Toronto remains comfortable, convenient, and efficient.”

“Expanding reliable public transit options are a key part of the Ontario government's plan to make life easier for people, while supporting good home-grown jobs," said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Ontario Minister of Transportation. “As the new streetcars enter service, it will be faster and easier for commuters in the city to get where they need to go, with more cars and shorter wait times. This is a testament to the strong communities we can build when all three levels of government work together to deliver the critical infrastructure we need for today and our future.”

The TTC’s 2023-2032 Capital Budget and Plan includes a $568 million streetcar program, consisting of 60 additional low-floor streetcars and the reconfiguring of Hillcrest Complex to accommodate the storage of at least 25 streetcars. This program is essential to ensuring the TTC can meet future ridership growth and demand over the coming years.

In May 2021, the federal and Ontario governments each announced up to $180 million toward the TTC Streetcar Program. The remaining $208 million is coming from the City of Toronto.

“Transit has been a priority for me since day one. Increasing the number of streetcars on our roads means shorter wait times, more capacity, and more reliable service for transit users,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “As Toronto continues to grow and we look for ways to improve peoples’ commutes, we need to continue to work with all levels of government to make more transit options available.”

“Streetcars are a vital part of the TTC and the city, and I am pleased that we are continuing to expand our fleet and plan for ridership growth and increased demand,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “Our goal is to run a sustainable transit system that our customers can continue to rely on and be proud of. This is a big step in that direction.”

In 2022, the TTC operated nine streetcar routes spanning approximately 355 km, carrying more than 26 million people.

“The TTC is grateful for the continued support of all orders of government as we plan for the future growth and ridership of the city,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “I want to thank the many TTC employees who keep Toronto moving and dedicate themselves to getting our customers to and from their destinations safely. I know how excited they will be to have more new vehicles in the fleet.”

Since 2020, the TTC has operated only low-floor, high-capacity, fully accessible streetcars on its network. Buses also operate on the streetcar network in the short term to support ongoing construction projects in the city. The capacity of one streetcar is equal to two and a half buses.

Steve Munro just posted:

'This morning, after a ceremony at Leslie Barns, car 4604 entered service on 504 King. It is running as an extra and is not visible to tracking apps, but can be located with a vehicle-specific search such as this on Transsee.ca. As I write this just after 3pm on November 17, the car is headed back to Leslie Barns.

The second car of the new set, 4605, is in Russell Carhouse.'

4604 ended up doing one round trip from Leslie Barns via King to Dundas West and back. Surprised they wouldn't at least leave it out for the duration of rush hour, but I assume few people got a chance to see it, so yay bragging rights...?

Some pictures of it. Identical to the original 204, and I have no idea why they would do a press conference for it considering the total lack of change, but considering I managed to get all 204 cars of the original order, I welcomed a chance to get this one, too.
IMG_3390.JPG
IMG_3393.JPG
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3375.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3373.JPG

I guess 4604 was held back for entering service until The Honourable Chrystia Freeland was in town to do the standard PR With Toronto looking for more money. Only 100 days from arrival.

It is now sitting at the front of the line so it can really enter service on Sat.

4605 still at Russell service bay and it been here 36 days so far

I truly hope the reason for 4604's delay was a more compelling one than waiting for a valid politician to be free to make vapid comments to the media.

I truly hope the reason for 4604's delay was a more compelling one than waiting for a valid politician to be free to make vapid comments to the media.
From what I have seen tracking it, been on the service track in the same position for weeks and did spend a few days last week in the service pay. Off hand, it was most likely waiting parts up to the last service bay call. It did go in the service bay a few days ago and most likely was being prepared for today event.

Need an insider to give us an insight what being going on. 4403 took 91 days before enter service as the first production car and 4604 was 100 days. On the other hand 4404 took 21 days as the 2nd production car compared to 4605 36 days so far. By right, 4606 should only take 22 days like 4405 when it arrives.

Back