News   May 08, 2024
 812     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.4K     3 

What's Cooking?

Northern Light's Take on Thai Popcorn chicken w/snow peas, lime-cilantro-scallion rice; and sweet heat Thai Chili sauce featuring White Vinegar, Lime Zest, Lime Juice, Sriracha, Garlic, Ginger, Fish Sauce, Bird's Eye Chili, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce and Sugar.

The Popcorn chicken is boneless, skinless Chicken Thigh, cut small, and breaded in cornstarch with generous amounts of cumin, white pepper, coriander, garlic and cayanne; and was marinated in 1/2 of the Sweet Chili Sauce w/extra soy and chili.

Served with a chilled Italian Orvieto (off-dry white)

DSC02758.jpg

Fall eating: potatoes roasted in the fat leftover from a roast chicken on the weekend.

View attachment 516897

Some of those got a little over-browned, though some might say those are the best ones...

look delicious!

my biggest pet peeve not using tin foil or parchment paper when baking...it must be a hassle to clean the sheet pan after baking @Jonny5

Beef Tenderloin, with a crust of freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt, seared in brown butter, w/homemade cesar salad (including scratch dressing and croutons); along w/frites, tossed w/fresh chives, butter, thyme, and garlic.

DSC02834.jpg

Steak is not as gratuitous as it looks, LOL

Good sized portion (packaged as one steak); ~190 grams

Beef Tenderloin, with a crust of freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt, seared in brown butter, w/homemade cesar salad (including scratch dressing and croutons); along w/frites, tossed w/fresh chives, butter, thyme, and garlic.

View attachment 519609

Steak is not as gratuitous as it looks, LOL

Good sized portion (packaged as one steak); ~190 grams
hello....where is my invitation to this steak dinner?

All jokes aside, the steak looks good but "A+" for the fries. I'm a sucker for cutting the steak into slices for the presentation.

"A+" for the fries.

Triple-fried Yukon Gold Potato Frites, tossed in a little bit (1/2 tsp) homemade garlic butter, w/fresh chives, dried thyme and a quick dusting of freshly grated parm; plus some freshly cracked black pepper and some maldon salt.

My favourite seasoning for beef tenderloin is equal parts butter and roquefort (or other blue cheese) with minced shallot, salt and pepper.

I like to go simple just salt & pepper since too much seasoning can burn the meat's exterior and may cause undercooked the inside. I mean i still finish it with a butter basting to elevate the flavour. The leftover fond and butter in the pan I would create a nice sauce with it like "au povire" or beef jus.

I like to go simple just salt & pepper since too much seasoning can burn the meat's exterior and may cause undercooked the inside. I mean i still finish it with a butter basting to elevate the flavour. The leftover fond and butter in the pan I would create a nice sauce with it like "au povire" or beef jus.
I didn’t think undercooking beef was possible 🤪😬. Blue for me every time.

I'm a fan of medium-rare whenever cooking steak..blue is too rare for me!

In most applications, I think rare to medium rare is where its at. (obviously braised beef is generally cooked through, but that's different.)

I'm not philosophically against blue; but I don't want my steak cold on the inside.

I would generally reserve blue to a carpacchio style dish. Technically the latter is raw; but if I don't have full understanding of the chain of custody of the beef, I'd prefer to give it a quick hot sear, then let it rest and shave it finely, with thin slices of the finest parm, and just a hint of dressing. (Olive oil and lemon is nice); but there are some non-purist options that are also excellent.

Made this the other day; for a very basic, though delicious meal, I thought it ended up looking fairly nice.

Curried meatballs, in sauce, over a bed of Tandoori Seasoned, Basmati Rice, w/fresh Cilantro leaves.

DSC02891.jpg

Meatballs are ground pork, finely diced onion, grated garlic and ginger, garamasala seasoning, yellow curry powder, cumin, Kashmiri chili powder, a hint of pomegranate molasses, one bird's eye chili, finely diced, a squeeze of lime juice, salt, egg and breadcrumb.

Sauce is similar, onion, garlic, ginger, lime zest, lime juice, 1 tsp pork fat (melted), pomegranate molasses, 1 bird's eye chili diced, yellow curry, cumin, 1/2 tsp mustard oil, garamsala, and chicken stock.

Last edited:
I have found my alternative to the typical fruit cake. Had to beg a friend’s mother for her rum cake recipe after tasting a slice. She finally relented and shared this video.

Back