News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

What's Cooking?

I like to go simple just salt & pepper since too much seasoning can burn the meat's exterior and may cause undercooked the inside. I mean i still finish it with a butter basting to elevate the flavour. The leftover fond and butter in the pan I would create a nice sauce with it like "au povire" or beef jus.
Indeed I only use salt and pepper before cooking, and put the room-temperature mix of butter and cheese on top of the steaks off the heat when they are done.

I like to go simple just salt & pepper since too much seasoning can burn the meat's exterior and may cause undercooked the inside. I mean i still finish it with a butter basting to elevate the flavour. The leftover fond and butter in the pan I would create a nice sauce with it like "au povire" or beef jus.
I didn’t think undercooking beef was possible 🤪😬. Blue for me every time.

I'm a fan of medium-rare whenever cooking steak..blue is too rare for me!

In most applications, I think rare to medium rare is where its at. (obviously braised beef is generally cooked through, but that's different.)

I'm not philosophically against blue; but I don't want my steak cold on the inside.

I would generally reserve blue to a carpacchio style dish. Technically the latter is raw; but if I don't have full understanding of the chain of custody of the beef, I'd prefer to give it a quick hot sear, then let it rest and shave it finely, with thin slices of the finest parm, and just a hint of dressing. (Olive oil and lemon is nice); but there are some non-purist options that are also excellent.

Made this the other day; for a very basic, though delicious meal, I thought it ended up looking fairly nice.

Curried meatballs, in sauce, over a bed of Tandoori Seasoned, Basmati Rice, w/fresh Cilantro leaves.

DSC02891.jpg

Meatballs are ground pork, finely diced onion, grated garlic and ginger, garamasala seasoning, yellow curry powder, cumin, Kashmiri chili powder, a hint of pomegranate molasses, one bird's eye chili, finely diced, a squeeze of lime juice, salt, egg and breadcrumb.

Sauce is similar, onion, garlic, ginger, lime zest, lime juice, 1 tsp pork fat (melted), pomegranate molasses, 1 bird's eye chili diced, yellow curry, cumin, 1/2 tsp mustard oil, garamsala, and chicken stock.

Last edited:
I have found my alternative to the typical fruit cake. Had to beg a friend’s mother for her rum cake recipe after tasting a slice. She finally relented and shared this video.

Wow, that dish looks awesome! I really want to make this, but I think I’ll have to save it for next year because it takes a lot of time to prepare. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though. Thanks for sharing!
At first I was surprised about the long lead time for soaking the fruits. But after scrolling through the comments, a postered mentioned that you can get away the with long soaking time by steaming the dried fruits first then soaking them and have them ready within a week.

Had homemade beef stew the other night. Stewing beef, dusted with flour, salt and pepper, and caramelized in large stock pot, with onion, carrot, red pepper and sauteed mushroom added for bulk; then a broth of short rib jus, beef stock, red wine, garlic, fresh rosemary, a tbsp of aged balsamic and another of soy sauce to provide rich umami notes underneath. Simmered 3 hours.

Served as below, garnished with fresh chives:

DSC02985.jpg

DSC02986.jpg

Was feeling ribs so that was tonight’s dinner. $9 rack of ribs from Fresh Co. Remove the silver skin, rub the rack with a lemon and rinse the ribs. Dry ribs with paper towel. Dry rub and let it marinade over night in the fridge. Wrap the ribs tightly in foil and bake for 2h at 350F. Take out and liberally apply BBQ sauce of your liking, put it back in the oven and broil for 5mins (didn’t set the temperature but it somehow landed at 510F). Flip the ribs and apply BBQ sauce, broil for another 5mins. Flip the ribs once more and apply sauce and finish off with a final 3mins on broil. Absolutely fall off the bone ribs.

Not the most amazing appearance but it is what it is.

IMG_5144.jpeg

IMG_5145.jpeg

Last edited:

Back