News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I would be more willing to have a party system in municipal elections if we banned provincial or federal parties from affiliating with any municipal party.
How do you force party affiliation for council, and how do you then force that party not to affiliate with provincial or federal parties?

IMO, if an issue is big enough that my local council cannot deal with it, it should go to the province. For example, IMO, subways should be provincially directed, especially once they start linking up with other municipalities.

I agree. Tory isn't planning on running after 2018, so Matlow could be a good candidate. I don't know why he'd waste his time and money next year, unless it's just to increase his name recognition. Plus Matlow knows that splitting the vote increases the chances of Crazy Doug getting elected. I like to think he wouldn't do that to us.

If only we had ranked ballots. :(

Is Tory that much of an improvement on DoFo? Tory does urbanism on the little things, but on the big ticket items he’s just as bad. I’d rather vote for a progressive candidate like Matlow who may lose, but at least I’d be registering support for someone I believe in. I voted Tory instead of Chow last time because he was most likely to beat Ford, not because I liked his candidacy. It feels like it was a mistake.

Is Tory that much of an improvement on DoFo? Tory does urbanism on the little things, but on the big ticket items he’s just as bad. I’d rather vote for a progressive candidate like Matlow who may lose, but at least I’d be registering support for someone I believe in. I voted Tory instead of Chow last time because he was most likely to beat Ford, not because I liked his candidacy. It feels like it was a mistake.
Don't underestimate how much of a clusterfuck Doug Ford would be in office.

Unless you're from a parallel universe, how do you know DoFo = Tory?
Tory’s support for SSE and the Gardiner East rebuild are straight from the Ford playbook. Both decisions fly in the face of pretty much every data-driven analysis, therefore they’re perfectly pitched to suburban identity politics. They’re also major projects that will consume a large part of our very limited capital budget, so they will define Tory’s mayoralty, even if he’s not around when they’re actually built.

Tory’s support for SSE and the Gardiner East rebuild are straight from the Ford playbook. Both decisions fly in the face of pretty much every data-driven analysis, therefore they’re perfectly pitched to suburban identity politics.
As much as we may like to self-identify as urbanists, we must remember that Tory is the mayor of all the people, including Toronto's suburbs. But that doesn't mean Tory is the same, as in equal to Ford in all things.

As much as we may like to self-identify as urbanists, we must remember that Tory is the mayor of all the people, including Toronto's suburbs. But that doesn't mean Tory is the same, as in equal to Ford in all things.

I've largely grown up in Scarborough and mann, wish this whole place didn't amalgamate and kept the ol Metropolitan Toronto still alive (that sounds much cooler). That lowlife Mike Harris, even though there was a referendum against it pushed it through. It has really resulted in moulding all these cities that have distinctly different needs and wants resulting in conflict of those priorities when it shouldn't be like that. Since then, the old Toronto core has really lost it's magic as a feel special city IMO and definitely has stagnated in terms of ideas and investment.

I certainly agree Tory isn’t the same as Ford in all things. Tory is civil and coherent, and shows no evidence of substance abuse, which is a refreshing change. He’s done a couple of progressive little things that would have been anathema to Ford, like the Bloor bike lanes and the King pilot. But on the big things that will shape the city and blow the budget to the detriment of being able to build anything useful - SSE and Gardiner East - Tory=Ford.

I've largely grown up in Scarborough and mann, wish this whole place didn't amalgamate and kept the ol Metropolitan Toronto still alive (that sounds much cooler). That lowlife Mike Harris, even though there was a referendum against it pushed it through. It has really resulted in moulding all these cities that have distinctly different needs and wants resulting in conflict of those priorities when it shouldn't be like that. Since then, the old Toronto core has really lost it's magic as a feel special city IMO and definitely has stagnated in terms of ideas and investment.
That was 20 years ago. We have to move on.

The lack of circus, for the most part, is a big difference.

Back