News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The only place that I have witnessed it is at Union Station. I've seen the fare enforcement threaten it, but never more than that on any other platform on the system.

I have also seen them not bat an eye at people using tunnels and stations as shortcuts from one side of the tracks to the other.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And in some stations - like Exhibition and Mount Pleasant - these are legitimate access points between local transit and nearby destinations. The Mount Pleasant tunnel is even required to transfer between some Brampton Transit routes. With a few exceptions, like GO's Union Station platforms, the GO-PO won't bother you in fare-paid areas.

Think you misunderstood; not accessible as in someone with a mobility device can't access it. There's stairs and no ramp.

Now I get it. There is one unfinished bity of fencing, right next to the accessibility point on the platform. Hopefully that detail is still to come - although it should not be an afterthought.

- Paul

Some shots of the work going on in Bayview Junction in Hamilton. Taken yesterday evening from a Hamilton-bound GO train:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    853.8 KB · Views: 725
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    872.4 KB · Views: 708
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 753
They are adding an additional track between James North and Aldershot from my understanding. All part of the huge amount of work going into GO in Hamilton right now.. something like 200 million including the new stations, tracks, yards, etc.

Is this going to be one or two tracks? This seems like a lot of work for just one...

I believe the answer is, "just one". That's what the footing visible in the photos will handle. But I can't find any definitive information on this plan.

This is a case study in why I grumble about ML's lack of transparency.

The EA documents for the Hamilton project are not easy to locate on the ML/GO websites any more, although they come up in a google search. The original EA report can e found at http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/niagara/Niagara_Rail_Expansion_ESR.pdf - but the attachments, including track schematics, can't be accessed.

There is a related document http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/wtd/Niagara Rail Expansion ESR Appendix E.pdf
which clearly shows (page 85) the track extension not crossing the valley, ie no bridge.

The RER Business Case Analysis documents mostly don't show this trackage even being present. http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...RER_Initial_Business_Case_Appendix_A-J_EN.pdf

@mdrejhon mentions in his blog (Aug 19 2015) that

There are several environmental assessments under way to add additional track between Burlington and Aldershot, as well as additional track between West Harbour and the Hamilton/Bayview Junction.

Maybe he knows if the bridge addition was ever documented?

To give credit where it's due. The City of Toronto does an excellent job of linking to all the key sites that one might want to use to research studies and EA's relevant to transit matters. Check out
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=a74e4be8ac29d410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

I wish ML did as well.

- Paul

They are adding an additional track between James North and Aldershot from my understanding. All part of the huge amount of work going into GO in Hamilton right now.. something like 200 million including the new stations, tracks, yards, etc.
Yes, there is indeed a huge amount of work occuring between Aldershot and Grimsby. There are 4 concurrent Metrolinx-funded construction sites in Hamilton as we speak. Three of them are photographed in my GO Part #1: Major GO Construction for Hamilton. The fourth is the Hamilton Rail Junction Expansion.

Given a lot of these construction sites are the ones mentioned in the 2011 Niagara extension studies (with the exception of the Hamilton Rail Junction, which is surp.risingly an "above-and-beyond" element), I think we're going to see some big Niagara announcement within months.

I believe a lot of these construction, while also helping Hamilton (but Hamilton alone is not enough to justify the lavish spending yet) -- is to help support the upcoming (unannounced) Niagara GO service between Hamilton and StCat/Niagara Falls. The region is already funding 1/3rd of the improvements necessary (see "Niagara Smashes Through Barriers To GO Rail Expansion" and many other articles that were published in the region in the last few months)

I've written about the Niagara seasonal GO train stopping in Hamilton in GO Part #2. Alas, this won't happen in 2016 with my current sources, but I will make a very confident prediction (90%+ confidence) that the Niagara seasonal GO train will finally stop by spring 2017 at West Harbour beginning the 2017 season.

This is because the construction completion dates of all possible potential prerequisites (Hamilton Rail Junction, extra track to West Harbour, the West Harbour 2nd platform, the through-track, the Centennial Parkway 4-track bridge pair for Stoney Creek GO, Lewis Layover Facility, etc.) all complete by end of 2016 based on all the information sources I have. The key requirement will be the through-track at West Harbour GO, which Metrolinx quoted for my article will complete during 2016 as part of West Harbour GO construction phase. (Obviously, this is not an official confirm Niagara trains will stop at West Harbour. But bank on it, they will stop when they are /able/ to enter WH GO!)

Try to find a single sentence on the GO/ML websites that mentions the work going on at Bayview. Cost ? Timeline?
I am writing a Part #3 article for RTH, and for this, I asked Anne-Marie Aikens about the Hamilton Rail Junction expansion. Yep, it's Metrolinx funded.

I can definitively confirm, it's a Metrolinx funded project (even if being done by CN for them).

Was not able to get any confirms regarding Niagara or AD2W, but I got that confirm on the Junction.

.....Also, mathematically, once this is all said and done West Harbour GO becomes the only Hamilton GO station capable of sustaining all-day 2-way service for Hamilton, Ontario. In Theory. Freight conflicts are dramatically reduced with the Rail Junction expansion & third track.

Officially Metrolinx says all-day GO service goes to Downtown GO by the mid 2020s. However, the money trail appears to put all-day service at West Harbour GO at this time, contrary to whatever Wynne or Steven Del Duca is saying. In fact, even 2016 Metrolinx documents still keeps the door open for AD2W at West Harbour GO (e.g. In one of the RER Business Case appendixes, that a Hamilton electrification study may happen and that it may have catenary go to West Harbour instead). This may change, if construction suddenly starts occuring on the CP/Hamilton GO side of things.

Last edited:
I am writing a Part #3 article for RTH, and for this, I asked Anne-Marie Aikens about the Hamilton Rail Junction expansion. Yep, it's Metrolinx funded.
I can definitively confirm, it's a Metrolinx funded project (even if being done by CN for them).
Was not able to get any confirms regarding Niagara or AD2W, but I got that confirm on the Junction.

Interesting. It would be interesting to see the core documents for this project. I wonder if a separate TPAP was done for this item. As noted above, the scope of the work done so that construction forces could access this location has been pretty intrusive. It's a sensitive area for flora and fauna. The original EA for West Harbour didn't appear to address this. I hope it was properly assessed.

- Paul

Interesting. It would be interesting to see the core documents for this project. I wonder if a separate TPAP was done for this item. As noted above, the scope of the work done so that construction forces could access this location has been pretty intrusive. It's a sensitive area for flora and fauna. The original EA for West Harbour didn't appear to address this. I hope it was properly assessed.
- Paul
I will post the exact quote once I've published --
As for assessment, I could ask that in a followup.

I suspect ShonTron or TOAreafan would know more about the specifics, but the John/James Street realignment including the CN rail tracks in downtown Brampton is supposed to start construction in September 2016, and end in July 2017. Page 333.

May or may not affect GO service?

I haven't see any word that an EA has been launched to add a third track, so I assume that the work at John/James will simply upgrade the crossing and maintain the existing two tracks. The report doesn't have an image of the new design. Hard to see how expanded GO service would benefit from this upgrade.

I suspect ShonTron or TOAreafan would know more about the specifics, but the John/James Street realignment including the CN rail tracks in downtown Brampton is supposed to start construction in September 2016, and end in July 2017. Page 333.

May or may not affect GO service?

I haven't see any word that an EA has been launched to add a third track, so I assume that the work at John/James will simply upgrade the crossing and maintain the existing two tracks. The report doesn't have an image of the new design. Hard to see how expanded GO service would benefit from this upgrade.
i really just think this is about making the crossing a perpindicular crossing rather than the roads meeting the tracks at an angle.....I think that is all it is.

To put in a 3rd track at John/James will require the closing of this road which an EA is not require for. Trying to a grade separation for this crossing, an EA is needed, but how to do it will be a bitch. Based on the early 2000's EA to twin track the corridor, car folks were up in arm over the idea of closing this crossing then, let alone which street should remain open. It will be worse today than then. You will need a pedestrian tunnel for any close road for this area.

A EA was to surface this year to 3rd track from John/James to the west of the Orangeville Line, the last I heard in 2015. This would require building 3 new bridges since everything east/west of this area is built for 3 tracks now including bridges.

Back