Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Hey @tnarduzzi, can you expand on what you're wondering about exactly? I'm intrigued.

@interchange42

This was a couple weeks ago, directly inside the TTC moat: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...of-toronto-zeidler.4308/page-191#post-1074933

Demo had already ripped up the slab and excavation was proceeding. As of last week they were shotcreting inside here. I "believe" it was to provide shoring as the new excavation risks undermining the current bypasss route. If you look closely at the 4th picture I posted, you can make out a grey door. This is the same grey door that can be seen from the other side in the hoardings of the current bypass (the temp hallway with the two narrow doors & stairs).

I am wondering if they plan on inserting temp stairs and hoardings to drop passengers down one level and then route them into the PATH/TTC whilst work continues overhead/all-around on the moat glazing, excavations, formwork, subs, etc... I mean if I were doing the construction management/logistics that is how I would do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. That was a sweet nerd out session. Amazing that you can circuit through Union, into the Skywalk, then into the hotel and (I believe), back into Union through the south entrance via the Telus building, all without going outside.
You're welcome!

Starbucks to open their first Express location at Union Station tomorrow.
http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/02/16/starbucks-opens-first-express-store-at-union-station.html

Bold move! Cut out the clutter on their menus (frappucinos, low sellers), and focus on their core products.

Personally I think they need to focus on something other than coffee. I count 5 different coffee shops in Union Station right now but nothing food wise. I get McCafe serves some minor baked goods but they need ACTUAL food. I mean this is just getting ridiculous.

Personally I think they need to focus on something other than coffee. I count 5 different coffee shops in Union Station right now but nothing food wise. I get McCafe serves some minor baked goods but they need ACTUAL food. I mean this is just getting ridiculous.

All of the fast food places a block away or less from the concourse don't count for anything?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

All of the fast food places a block away or less from the concourse don't count for anything?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Welcome back Dan. I was starting to think you fell down a well.

What I meant was for immediate travellers (heading home, transferring etc) there is nothing there. Nobody is willing to walk a block, wait 10 minutes, eat then walk back when it means missing their connection.

bought a coffee there when I got off the train this morning and they asked if I wanted to order breakfast....so I don't think it is just coffee.

bought a coffee there when I got off the train this morning and they asked if I wanted to order breakfast....so I don't think it is just coffee.

Everyone is missing the point. Prior to the Bay Concourse closure there was a Mr Sub, McDonalds, Cinnabon, Jugo Juice, Sushi Place, Bagel Place, a pretzel place, DQ and Purdys.

They have plans to open up similar stores in the York Concourse but so far all we have is coffee shops. That is the point I am trying to make.

Everyone is missing the point. Prior to the Bay Concourse closure there was a Mr Sub, McDonalds, Cinnabon, Jugo Juice, Sushi Place, Bagel Place, a pretzel place, DQ and Purdys.

They have plans to open up similar stores in the York Concourse but so far all we have is coffee shops. That is the point I am trying to make.
Get it.....but, at some point, the market speaks.....I doubt very strongly that ML/Ossmington made a decision to go big on coffee....but the coffee guys perked up first when the space became available.

@interchange42

This was a couple weeks ago, directly inside the TTC moat: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...of-toronto-zeidler.4308/page-191#post-1074933

Demo had already ripped up the slab and excavation was proceeding. As of last week they were shotcreting inside here. I "believe" it was to provide shoring as the new excavation risks undermining the current bypasss route. If you look closely at the 4th picture I posted, you can make out a grey door. This is the same grey door that can be seen from the other side in the hoardings of the current bypass (the temp hallway with the two narrow doors & stairs).

I am wondering if they plan on inserting temp stairs and hoardings to drop passengers down one level and then route them into the PATH/TTC whilst work continues overhead/all-around on the moat glazing, excavations, formwork, subs, etc... I mean if I were doing the construction management/logistics that is how I would do it.
I'm willing to bet that as soon as they have the (exterior for the time being) stairs widened from the subway station to the Front Street Moat, they will close the interior route through the Bay Concourse. Wouldn't you want everyone out of there as soon as you had enough space for them elsewhere?

It is very easy to open up a coffee shop compared to a restaurant. I'm not sure how many other spaces are leased out but it can takes months to equip a new restaurant (even a fast food one). It also may be a conscious decision to avoid loitering (a.k.a. sitting down to eat your food) while there is limited room.

It is very easy to open up a coffee shop compared to a restaurant. I'm not sure how many other spaces are leased out but it can takes months to equip a new restaurant (even a fast food one). It also may be a conscious decision to avoid loitering (a.k.a. sitting down to eat your food) while there is limited room.

I believe that's what the lower level of the York Concourse will be for.

I'm willing to bet that as soon as they have the (exterior for the time being) stairs widened from the subway station to the Front Street Moat, they will close the interior route through the Bay Concourse. Wouldn't you want everyone out of there as soon as you had enough space for them elsewhere?

I believe that's what the lower level of the York Concourse will be for.

You are absolutely correct. The reason they created that access point where the leather shop was. The idea was to close off the access to the Bay Concourse and still maintain some level of access. This is likely why they are digging down now as opposed to later.

The Bay Concourse will come along rather quickly if they can keep people out. It remains to be seen when that will be but it will likely be the summer before this occurs.

Back