Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Good question.

I wonder, as it would be relatively simple to add a small enclosure extension here to keep a full indoor PATH connection.

EDIT: the newer version of diagram, shows glass cover extending all the way to the York teamway entrance:

unionretailuppernov2016-jpg.66335

Last edited:
Is it just me or will the PATH connections in the northwest and northeast corners be outside and not weather-protected? I've circled them in this image. Why not have routed the northwest PATH through the green line I drew?

4fJiHXC.jpg
Yes, the Bay Street and York Street Moats will both we open to the outside air, but sheltered from rain and snow by the skylight. I do not know what made them choose the partial covering over the full enclosure of these areas. Is it possible that these areas will allow emergency service vehicles to pull in off of the streets when required?

Thanks for that. That was a sweet nerd out session. Amazing that you can circuit through Union, into the Skywalk, then into the hotel and (I believe), back into Union through the south entrance via the Telus building, all without going outside.
Yes, this circuit has been open for about a year now - I walk it quite often in bad weather.

Thanks for that. That was a sweet nerd out session. Amazing that you can circuit through Union, into the Skywalk, then into the hotel and (I believe), back into Union through the south entrance via the Telus building, all without going outside.

I believe this is intended to be a bypass for when they build that new tower at Simcoe and Front. They will be incorporating the galleria area of the Skywalk where the UP express terminal is into the new building.

With that in mind I believe the intention was to open the route via Southcore so they could eventually close the skywalk without major disruption.

If you use the Convention Centre you can walk get all the way over to John Street without going outside...bit of a circuitous route but if the weather sucks it can keep you comfy.

That's a pretty significant foundation wall underneath the old Bay Concourse doors. I wonder how much deeper it goes beyond what has been dug out for the new Bay Concourse, and I wonder how deep the underlying shale is here. Did they hit it during any of the digging in the station itself?

Meanwhile, it's going to be fun watching the cuts being made in the wall to extend the openings down to get the new doorways in.

The cool part is they are pretty much this far down at this exact spot on the other side of the wall. Indeed it will be fun watching the new doorways open up. (I do wonder if they plan on running a pax hoarding/diversion through here.)

Back