Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

And yes, let's not forget the GO service agents standing in the middle of the teamway handing out flyers and slowing the flow down.

If you ask me they need to take a cue from the London Underground and do human traffic control during rush hours. In my management plan the "moat bypass" doors would become exit-only leading to the TTC and street level, whilst the old Bay St entrance doors become entrance-only leading from TTC into Union. The lovely GO customer service agents would act as enforcers. Public shaming brought to all those who disobey via a stern shouting at. :)

This would ease the conflicts that occur with all the cross traffic thus improving linear flow/movement, passenger comfort, and pedestrian travel times.

If you ask me they need to take a cue from the London Underground and do human traffic control during rush hours. In my management plan the "moat bypass" doors would become exit-only leading to the TTC and street level, whilst the old Bay St entrance doors become entrance-only leading from TTC into Union. The lovely GO customer service agents would act as enforcers. Public shaming brought to all those who disobey via a stern shouting at. :)

This would ease the conflicts that occur with all the cross traffic thus improving linear flow/movement, passenger comfort, and pedestrian travel times.

Oh they can't be bothered with that - they can't even do the self-serve ticket kiosk at the teamway properly - if I am unkind (which I am), I'd say it is purposefully designed to slow the clients down.

AoD

If you ask me they need to take a cue from the London Underground and do human traffic control during rush hours. In my management plan the "moat bypass" doors would become exit-only leading to the TTC and street level, whilst the old Bay St entrance doors become entrance-only leading from TTC into Union.

Call the Fire Chief and let them know about the overcrowding issues. They have the authority to make the contractor jump.

Nice! While we're at it, I know it could very well be fire safety and all, but can someone tell me what's the rationale for having the teamway doors closed during rush? And even more brilliantly, one of the doors are out of action completely yesterday with some pathetic looking piece of notice taped on it.

That, and the fools who insist on standing right in front/behind the doors for the stairwells to the platform just so that they can look at the monitors while conveniently blocking everyone else, plus smokers right in the moat area.

AoD

Last edited:
Anne Marie has taken note of the issue on behalf of Metrolinx, stated today that she will ask those responsible for Union to investigate. https://twitter.com/femwriter/status/689924847837642752
It's telling that whoever is actually responsible isn't able to respond in a public way.

The fact that even we here don't actually know who is responsible is troubling. Not so much because they are not properly visible in this day of social media -- but for the scarier possibility that no one individual or cohesive team is on top of passenger flow.

It's telling that whoever is actually responsible isn't able to respond in a public way.

The fact that even we here don't actually know who is responsible is troubling. Not so much because they are not properly visible in this day of social media -- but for the scarier possibility that no one individual or cohesive team is on top of passenger flow.

What gets me is the complete lack of knowledge/response on how things work on the ground when you already have feet on the ground. Like honestly, where is the GO head office again? The whole thing is reactive, not proactive - think the stupidity that was the single Presto terminal at the platform stairwell earlier on - it should never ever have happened, period. And yet it did and took a month to resolve. Why and how?

AoD

Last edited:
Haha, I just choked on my coffee a little. 97 Front St W baby. 97 Front West. Floors 2, 3, and 4. :)

In the meantime, we have service agents passing useless flyers informing us how a website with no platform information and no notification function is somehow better than an app that for better or worse does. Like seriously, put the money into updating the app, not printing out stupid flyers (flyers! What is this, early 20th c?) and hiring people to give them out and extol the virtues of the new site.

All while blocking the flow, instead of managing the flow as they should in the teamway.

AoD

I just realized now what happened on Wednesday AM -- Construction decided to paint the ramp during AM rush, close the moat-bypass-stairs, and do intermittent closures of the Bay-hoarding to permit equipment/bobcats to pass through to the moat, ALL AT THE SAME TIME ON THE SAME DAY. Good grief.

This resulted in complete chaos for commuters. Let's face it. We are last on the list of priorities.

Quite frankly it would have been better to shut that station and open a temporary one for pax like they did at World Trade Center Transportation Hub. At least then when complete Torontonians would have something truly impressive.

The more I think about it the more this project management sucks and the design is bland... it is just "blah". It really pisses me off that Toronto consistently passes up such great opportunities.

Quite frankly it would have been better to shut that station and open a temporary one for pax like they did at World Trade Center Transportation Hub. At least then when complete Torontonians would have something truly impressive.

The more I think about it the more this project management sucks and the design is bland... it is just "blah". It really pisses me off that Toronto consistently passes up such great opportunities.

Did you read the platform safety report?

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/travelling/union_action_plan.aspx

Why, did it just occur to the authorities that there is a issue now? Did it just occur to them that they need a discussion with Heritage Canada, when the revitalization project is already half done? Again, reactive instead of being proactive - and the lack of imagination and forethought is staggering (and someone probably died because of it).

AoD

Again, reactive instead of being proactive

@AlvinofDiaspar, I skimmed it on Tuesday. I agree with your sentiment entirely: reactive instead of proactive. I mean really; does it take a whole report to come to these conclusions? It is common sense, I would think that most people could have forseen that that 290,000 lb locomotives and overcrowded/congested platform conditions are dangerous for pax.

Don't even get me started as to how they plan to accommodate the increased ridership once RER goes live... In the future Union (T+10 years) rush hour is going to be pure insanity.

Back