News   Jul 19, 2024
 597     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.8K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 900     2 

Zoning Reform Ideas

The EHON - Expanded as of-right-zoning for major streets is coming to this week's Design Review Panel:

1700492481750.png

Meeting is on Thursday

A couple of significant zoning related initiatives are up on the agenda for the next Planning and Housing Ctte.

One of these is the (draft) final version of the new Mid-rise performance standards, notably, how they relate to the angular plane.

The report delivers substantial new flexibility, as was previously proposed, and is now generally being granted in practice while protecting the underlying principle.

I am extracting some key bits from the above:

1700751372887.png

1700751417487.png

Comments: I am very pleased; I see my fingerprints all over this......... I think this is pragmatic, practical and helpful in every way.

Last edited:
Th
The EHON - Expanded as of-right-zoning for major streets is coming to this week's Design Review Panel:

View attachment 521632

Meeting is on Thursday

The above was today..............

This segment begins at about 1:27 on the video (note, that is time remaining)

This was the first slide to jump out at me:

1700796957391.png

Note that 41% of Neighbourhood designated (yellowbelt) properties that abut major streets are rear-facing or flanking (meaning, generally, that its a back or side yard fence that faces the major street)

Issues for the Panel:

1700797497173.png

Panel comments:

Some concern over car-orientation on both sides of a rear-facing site

Some concern over whether Tier 1 Green Standards may be an impediment to smaller apartments.

Pick-up/Drop off areas within the zoning by-law represent an unreasonable barrier to development.

Meg Graham was assertive in asking whether the City had consulted architects who design these types of buildings routinely to see whether they're really buildable
The short answer from staff was 'no'. And you could see the 'eye roll'. I don't blame her. She offered staff to have an email exchange so staff could gain constructive input.

The above was represented more gently expressed sentiment from others that there were real barriers to these examples from the City as to buildability.

General sense of the presentation being confusing.

Staff: Townhouse vs Apartment is not dictated by site, so long as the boxes/pro-formas check-out.

Panel: Too many housing types w/too many rules to examine properly all at once.
This needs more time.

Risk of developers gaming the proposed rules.

May not be sufficient infrastructure to support this in all areas. (schools and libraries mentioned)

Ralph Giannone: "Plans are not Plans unless they can be executed" ; "30 units is crap!" - Ralph is seething about this particular issue.

He goes on to give an example of a project of his, rebuilding a Keg restaurant and that he promised them/client to deliver approval of what should be an straight-forward SPA a timeline of six-eight months, and that is now 11 months and counting.

He's adamant that rules and boxes need to be simpler, more straight-forward and easier.

Paul Kulig: We're missing opportunities by omitting 'minor streets' that are greater than 20M ROW.

Paul: Getting rid of FSI is great, but details are important.

Other Panelist: Parking Maximums / restrictions required. Too car centric to let the market dictate.

Meg: This is too wild west, it will look and be awful. There is a need for this, for more liberalization/intensification, but it needs more direction.

Forms shown here are backward looking, lacking in innovation, will not achieve what is required from an urban perspective. Need more porosity in urban fabric. Once in a generational opportunity, what we've got here will not come close.

No vote was to taken here (none was scheduled)

Plot twist, Sean Fraser sent a letter to Olivia Chow today listing eight housing reforms he'd like to see before handing out Housing Accelerator Fund money. There's some juicy stuff in there:
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 6.15.07 PM.png

Apparently Chow is on board and we'll hear more in December. 👀
Chow said she's confident council will agree with her more ambitious approach when the letter is on council's agenda next month.

"I'm confident the entire city council will rejoice. On December 13, this letter will be on the agenda," she said.

via https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/toronto-housing-accelerator-fund-conditions-1.7038873

Plot twist, Sean Fraser sent a letter to Olivia Chow today listing eight housing reforms he'd like to see before handing out Housing Accelerator Fund money. There's some juicy stuff in there:
View attachment 522791

Apparently Chow is on board and we'll hear more in December. 👀

via https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/toronto-housing-accelerator-fund-conditions-1.7038873

1700869517841.png

More or less, underway now.

1700869556930.png

Haven't heard of anything on this file, but haven't looked closely either

1700869596058.png

When it comes to Planning Applications, the above is mostly done now, with SPAs and CoA's not going through Council at all.

Where this does not exist is tree removals, and fence exemptions among other things that do waste a bit of Council time; but fixing that wouldn't really change approval times for anything.

1700869736846.png

This is exactly what I posted about above; that process is underway; but its a bit bungled for reasons also noted; we do want to be careful to pass the correct version of the policy.

1700869801853.png

Angular planes are already relaxed in practice and that will be policy by early next year. I disagree with removing the shadow restrictions on parks and schools. The problem is that its not one new building and some shadow
its all the new buildings and everything in shadow once you wander down the rabbit hole.

I don't think kids should have to play indoors because the school yard is dark, windy and cold.

1700869934723.png

Toronto already abolished parking minimums.

1700869968335.png

Already done.

1700870007289.png

Sure....I wasn't aware Toronto was turning away millions in donations to pay for affordable housing....... but why not.

Overall, the letter/demands look bad to me, because they include things already done, suggesting the Minister and his staff copy/pasted rather than looking at the truth on the ground.

Outside of the shadow issue, I'm fine w/the above.

Wait, we already have BC-style pre-approved designs for multiplexes? News to me, if so. That, plus BC-style as-of-right zoning near transit stations, were the items that I found most interesting.

No, the pre-approved design idea is still to come, but truthfully it is in BC too.....when you get into the nitty gritty.

I was meaning we have PMTSA implementation zoning passed in dozens of spots.

Back