News   May 02, 2024
 645     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 207     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 268     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Just a random question, but does anyone think the Viva Routes should have more than just a colour in their name? Like a number or a letter?

Yes. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with Viva. It's confusing especially when the Viva buses are blue, and that's the name of a line...I can see a visitor to the area or someone not fluent in English seeing a blue Viva bus and thinking oh, that's Viva Blue, or being told to take Viva Purple and oh, that bus isn't purple. I recognize it's a minor issue but it's such a simple one to fix.

I think YRT/Viva should have re-numbered their routes and reserved 1-10 for Viva, e.g. 1 - Viva Blue or 2 - Viva Purple, this would let them keep the naming scheme and coloured lines on maps (which I think are nice) but added route numbers which are more typical of bus systems and more easily understood by visitors or those not fluent in English who can normally at least recognize a bus route number.

Yes. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with Viva. It's confusing especially when the Viva buses are blue, and that's the name of a line...I can see a visitor to the area or someone not fluent in English seeing a blue Viva bus and thinking oh, that's Viva Blue, or being told to take Viva Purple and oh, that bus isn't purple. I recognize it's a minor issue but it's such a simple one to fix.

I think YRT/Viva should have re-numbered their routes and reserved 1-10 for Viva, e.g. 1 - Viva Blue or 2 - Viva Purple, this would let them keep the naming scheme and coloured lines on maps (which I think are nice) but added route numbers which are more typical of bus systems and more easily understood by visitors or those not fluent in English who can normally at least recognize a bus route number.

The point of Viva is to make you think that it's not a bus, and numbering the routes would defeat that. In fact, when Viva first started in 2005, they insisted on calling their buses "RTVs" (Rapid Transit Vehicles). This was quietly dropped once they realized that literally no one called them that.

Yes please. And while they're at it, restructure all the legacy Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Markham routes into York Region routes and numbers.

Last edited:
Is it normal for the VMC Vivastation to have rain go through the roof? It didn’t drop onto the platforms, but did go onto the road (bus lane) and there didn’t seem to be any sewers or drains on the roadway.

Another issue has to do with the intersection of Jane and Highway 7. Since the Zum 501 bus turns right in order to get to York University, it blocks up the lane for Viva Orange buses to go straight. At least proper transit signals, white vertical bar) for it, but had to wait for a whole signal phase.

Last edited:
Is it normal for the VMC Vivastation to have rain go through the roof? It didn’t drop onto the platforms, but did go onto the road (bus lane) and there didn’t seem to be any sewers or drains on the roadway.

See http://www.vivanext.com/blog/2017/11/13/rain-rain-go-away/.

I truly believe the roof is nowhere close to being done yet. It was just days before opening that they placed the final outer panels on the roof. By then it was so cold that I bet they never even started--let alone completed--installing the flexible joint gaskets between the panels. I'm pretty sure they completed the glass panel joints, though. Also, the eaves/soffits closest to the road surface are not done yet--you can still see the blue adhesive membrane. So I'm guessing that the interface between the solid roof and the glass roof is not yet complete either.

Since were on the topic of naming standards.

Viva was originally supposed to be named after fruits. Viva Blueberry. Viva Orange. Viva Lime. etc. It was decided it would be a bad idea. I saw a whole marketing pamphlet which has since been removed from the internet.

Since were on the topic of naming standards.

Viva was originally supposed to be named after fruits. Viva Blueberry. Viva Orange. Viva Lime. etc. It was decided it would be a bad idea. I saw a whole marketing pamphlet which has since been removed from the internet.
Do you have a copy?

This is pretty cool:
26815564_1810014669069147_2607835672532276426_n.png

Snow covered rapidway? We've got it covered! York Region is the first in Canada to use GPS technology to control traffic signals to improve winter operations. On the busy Highway 7 rapidway, snow plows have the ability to hold the green signal time. This allows multiple plows to work together to clear the lanes while traffic in other directions is stopped. This technology, called snow plow preemption, clears the rapidway in about half the time. It keeps transit on schedule, prevents travel delays, enhances safety and improves service. It also helps the environment by saving fuel and reducing emissions.

This is pretty cool:

As plagued with infirmities Viva/YRT is, you have to admit they have been the pioneers of many technologies/innovations in the GTHA:
-automated announcements
-BRT
-traffic priority
-joint with presto
-2hr transfer
-zone fare (albeit poorly implemented)
-call in stop ETA
-eta signs at terminals/stations

They just have one Achilles heel: frequency. If that could increase, it would be a great system.

ack.... thats the crux of running a system in such large sparsely populated territory.
too much coverage required and not enough riders to support the system in the small patches of density.
If ML took over all operations of the GTHA systems and ran the YRT sector as ML Bus North, I believe this issue may be solved without breaking up YRT into 2.

As plagued with infirmities Viva/YRT is, you have to admit they have been the pioneers of many technologies/innovations in the GTHA:
-automated announcements
-BRT
-traffic priority
-joint with presto
-2hr transfer
-zone fare (albeit poorly implemented)
-call in stop ETA
-eta signs at terminals/stations
YRT no longer has fare zones.

Don't know if this a a YRT, GO, or both problem, but GO buses don't have ETA at YRT terminals.

Yonge and hwy7 aren't exactly sparsely populated. Sure, they gotta run empty buses to Sutton. But that is no excuse for BRT infrastructure to be running on 30 minute frequencies like is the case in downtown markham.

Back