News   Mar 28, 2024
 992     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Just watching this video of Viva Purple and can't help but notice that a majority of the Viva stations are surrounded by undeveloped land. What are the plans for these lands? Are they just sitting there waiting to be bought by someone?

Chalmers Road Station 00:29 Giant field
Leslie Street Station 03:55 Giant field
East Beaver Creek Station 4:45 Giant field
Allstate Parkway Station 8:24 Giant field
Woodbine Avenue Station 9:05 Field
Town Centre Station 12:05 Giant field

I can't help but feel like this line has real potential for high ridership if all of this would be developed. Does this line have the potential of building or even eclipsing Viva Blue's ridership in the future?

The large plot of around Chalmers is owned by Times Group; this is the latest plan submitted to the City (PDF, dated 19 May 2015):

noALyJW.png

Just watching this video of Viva Purple and can't help but notice that a majority of the Viva stations are surrounded by undeveloped land. What are the plans for these lands? Are they just sitting there waiting to be bought by someone?

I can't help but feel like this line has real potential for high ridership if all of this would be developed. Does this line have the potential of building or even eclipsing Viva Blue's ridership in the future?

Check out the renderings. Perhaps they are overly optimistic, but there are definitely plans to redevelop as much as possible.

big_big_vaughan_hiresforweb_1024x582px.jpg
big_canopy_closeup_2009_05_08.jpg
big_hwy7_valleymede_hiresforweb.jpg
big_markham_hiresforweb.jpg
big_newmarket_hiresforweb.jpg
big_richmond_hiresforweb.jpg
big_towncentre-f4.jpg

Attachments

• big_big_vaughan_hiresforweb_1024x582px.jpg
    big_big_vaughan_hiresforweb_1024x582px.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 1,457
  • big_canopy_closeup_2009_05_08.jpg
    big_canopy_closeup_2009_05_08.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 1,386
  • big_hwy7_valleymede_hiresforweb.jpg
    big_hwy7_valleymede_hiresforweb.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 1,476
  • big_markham_hiresforweb.jpg
    big_markham_hiresforweb.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 1,464
  • big_newmarket_hiresforweb.jpg
    big_newmarket_hiresforweb.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 1,681
  • big_richmond_hiresforweb.jpg
    big_richmond_hiresforweb.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 1,932
  • big_towncentre-f4.jpg
    big_towncentre-f4.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 1,425
Probably really really slow. I find buses purposely slow down when on the rapidway and as soon as they get off, they fly down the road in mixed traffic.

Though every now and then you get the random driver that does the pedal-to-the-metal like this guy:

LOVE those drivers ^ Look at the traffic being passed.

Probably really really slow. I find buses purposely slow down when on the rapidway and as soon as they get off, they fly down the road in mixed traffic.

Though every now and then you get the random driver that does the pedal-to-the-metal like this guy:

That's awesome.

Does anyone here know why that driver was able to go so much faster than usual? If Viva is anything like the TTC (and basically any other transit agency), drivers are supposed to adhere to a schedule, so no one bus can move significantly faster than others.

Does anyone here know why that driver was able to go so much faster than usual? If Viva is anything like the TTC (and basically any other transit agency), drivers are supposed to adhere to a schedule, so no one bus can move significantly faster than others.

Unless it was delayed earlier and is running behind schedule, in which case it should move faster than the others to catch up to schedule.

There's a policy for drivers to operate at speeds of
40 km/h through an intersection
20 km/h through a station

I've asked.

I've noticed when VIVA was operated by Veolia, the original contractor, the drivers were very cautious and VERY slow. I've noticed their new replacement operators with TOK are much faster. It's possible this employer may be more lax on speed violations?

There's a policy for drivers to operate at speeds of
40 km/h through an intersection
20 km/h through a station

I've asked.

I've noticed when VIVA was operated by Veolia, the original contractor, the drivers were very cautious and VERY slow. I've noticed their new replacement operators with TOK are much faster. It's possible this employer may be more lax on speed violations?

I remember this was discussed during when purple opened
It would seem that they're overly cautious on their speeds and to stringently conservative on their schedules. Hence drivers are really shackled from demonstrating the real potential of the rapidways

Then again on purple the speeds seem to have normalized to competitive levels

Damn! Get the right driver, and a BRT can be just as quick as a subway!

Is it possible to add a very short traffic signal phase, only 3 to 5 sec long, before the left-turn phase; just to let a single BRT bus pass the intersection and not wait for the left-turning cars?

That phase could be activated by the bus driver; if the bus is not there, or is still loading, the extra phase will not even be needed.

I'm very curious about the grade separation in this picture. Is there any such element in the Yonge BRT??

I believe that was a very old pre yonge extension rendering. They have since removed the RHC to Finch section of the BRT plan

Back