News   Jul 12, 2024
 793     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

yrt_viva_system_map.jpg

What do you guys think of this YRT Viva System Map ? Made it myself today. Is it too busy? :) I want to upload it on Wikipedia as their Viva Network Expansion Plan (VNEP) map.

I have no idea how they're going to fit this map on their buses. lol

Last edited:
The map is showing how the restructured services will operate 2020. Many changes will be coming in the next year with the opening of the Spadina subway.

I made an updated map with Zum bus lines on it. Zum buses will be using VIVA rapidway infrastructure, accept YRT fares. It is essentially a York Region BRT service without the all door boarding. So I feel it needs to be included in the map.

yrt_viva_system_map2.jpg

Last edited:
I made an updated map with Zum bus lines on it. Zum buses will be using VIVA rapidway infrastructure, accept YRT fares.

The fare thing isn't unique to Zum. Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, York Region and Durham Transit all accept each other's transfers. If you have a pass from one, you can transfer to the other without paying an extra fare as long as it's within two hours. (Isn't it amazing, Toronto?)

The map is showing how the restructured services will operate 2020. Many changes will be coming in the next year with the opening of the Spadina subway.

I made an updated map with Zum bus lines on it. Zum buses will be using VIVA rapidway infrastructure, accept YRT fares. It is essentially a York Region BRT service without the all door boarding. So I feel it needs to be included in the map.

yrt_viva_system_map2.jpg
With the 3 stop overlap of Viva Green and Viva Silver, what would be the best way to transfer to continue along Major Mackenzie? I would assume transferring at Newkrik at Richmond Hill GO would be the best. It would be even better if it actually went inside the GO Station. Can anyone confirm if the buses will go inside RH GO or will just stay on Major Mackenzie?

yrt_viva_system_map2.jpg
nice map addition.....send it to Brampton Transit....maybe seeing it graphically will drive home how stupid it is that their two routes are going to two subway stations so close together. They should both go to the same station...don't care which one but since 501A is on the 407 anyway that seems the logical choice.

The new Viva map is a bit odd:

1) Why do they need separate Green and Silver routes? Combining them into one route would facilitate trips around Vaughan / Richmond Hill / Markham.

2) There should be a through service along Hwy 7, rather than 2 separate routes to RHC from the East and West. They should simply extend the Purple line from RHC to Vaughan Centre, and then they don't need to split the Orange line at Promenade, 100% of Orange buses can follow Clarke to Yonge to Finch Stn.

1) Why do they need separate Green and Silver routes? Combining them into one route would facilitate trips around Vaughan / Richmond Hill / Markham.
I completely agree with this. If I'm at Major Mackenzie and Leslie and want to go to Vaughan Mills Mall, I should be able to take 1 bus and get there. With this system, I would have to transfer to a different bus in between. Even if busses waited at Richmond Hill GO for both to arrive, it would still be a hassle and take longer than it should.

2) There should be a through service along Hwy 7, rather than 2 separate routes to RHC from the East and West. They should simply extend the Purple line from RHC to Vaughan Centre, and then they don't need to split the Orange line at Promenade, 100% of Orange buses can follow Clarke to Yonge to Finch Stn.
This is totally the right thing to do. Why create 2 lines on Highway 7 when having one prevents the need to transfer. Even if there are busses that short turn, which there currently are on Viva Blue, riders can choose to wait for a bus that goes all the way, or take the shorter and then take another bus at RHC. Viva Orange really shouldn't have 2 branches, it is more confusing and totally unnecessary. It should operate like Viva Pink where it overlaps Viva Blue in some places, but goes to Promenade and Finch Station.

On page 29: Link
It says that the Highway 7 West Rapidway from Jane Street to Bowles Road is suppose to open at the end of 2016. I've asked about this above (no one replied), but this hasn't seem to have been in service yet. What routes are suppose to run on this segment?

TYPO ON YOUR MAP!!! Vaughan metropolitan centre is now Smartcentres Vaughan metropolitan centre terminal.... And don't forget the freakn penguin as well... (facepalm to corporate fail) :mad:

It says that the Highway 7 West Rapidway from Jane Street to Bowles Road is suppose to open at the end of 2016. I've asked about this above (no one replied), but this hasn't seem to have been in service yet. What routes are suppose to run on this segment?

Viva Blue/Orange is supposed to use it, but it probably won't be used until the subway extension is open.

TYPO ON YOUR MAP!!! Vaughan metropolitan centre is now Smartcentres Vaughan metropolitan centre terminal.... And don't forget the freakn penguin as well... (facepalm to corporate fail) :mad:
That's only for the YRT bus terminal. The Viva Station is still called "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre" and the Subway Station is still called "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station".

The fare thing isn't unique to Zum. Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, York Region and Durham Transit all accept each other's transfers. If you have a pass from one, you can transfer to the other without paying an extra fare as long as it's within two hours. (Isn't it amazing, Toronto?)

By the time the Eglinton LRT is open York Region will have over 70 km of center lane BRT in place with signal priority. Incredible for a region with no rapid transit to 70km in 2 decades.

The TTC will have 70km of subway and 2o km of LRT (the current streetcar system is not RT no matter what acronyms they use).

A region of 1M people will have 22% less RT lines than a city of 2.5M. Toronto is all about grand ideas without practical answers. Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke's street grid could have facilitated similar BRT but instead we are dithering on relieving the subway downtown which could have been done year's ago with GO Transit lines if the people at City Hall/Davisville were not busy trying to build little empires.

And for cost....it costs $0.50 per rider to York U for Viva and $1.00 per rider for the TTC (until the subway is operational)

Lessons learned:
- Toronto is all about hot air and getting elected vs actual action
- The TTC has to get their cost structure right

By the time the Eglinton LRT is open York Region will have over 70 km of center lane BRT in place with signal priority. Incredible for a region with no rapid transit to 70km in 2 decades.

The TTC will have 70km of subway and 2o km of LRT (the current streetcar system is not RT no matter what acronyms they use).

A region of 1M people will have 22% less RT lines than a city of 2.5M. Toronto is all about grand ideas without practical answers. Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke's street grid could have facilitated similar BRT but instead we are dithering on relieving the subway downtown which could have been done year's ago with GO Transit lines if the people at City Hall/Davisville were not busy trying to build little empires.

That's overly simplistic. York Region will have 22% less "rapid transit", but a bus lane isn't the same thing as a subway line. You can't compare the two at all.

And for cost....it costs $0.50 per rider to York U for Viva and $1.00 per rider for the TTC (until the subway is operational)

Lessons learned:
- Toronto is all about hot air and getting elected vs actual action
- The TTC has to get their cost structure right

Not sure where in the hell you are getting 70km from. By my counts there will be 30.5km of centrelane BRT infrastructure. The rest of it is mixed traffic.

Also, if you count centrelane BRT as rapid transit, you also need to count the centrelane streetcar lanes at least. Thats an additional 17.6km for Toronto. Toronto also has around 3km of new centrelane Streetcar routes in planning that will likely happen relatively soon. Nevermind the King Street streetcar priority measures, which could add another 6km overnight.

Back