345     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     3 

Your thoughts on French Immersion?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
My kids are entering Senior Kindergarten in September 2008, which has an optional French Immersion stream, which takes them all the way to Grade 8. So, my wife and I have to decide soon if we want them to enter the French immersion or English streams. What are your thoughts and experiences?

I'm conflicted. When I was living in New Brunswick from 2004 to 2007 I saw the worst of the French Immersion programs, where kids would graduate with little workable French. New Brunswick had other problems in education as well, as through their full inclusion system, you had everyone, regardless of ability in the same classes, meaning that in most classes in the English-only stream, you could have several mentally challenged kids (with several attendants in the class to handle them), demotivated native kids (most dropped out at 16), unchallenged gifted kids, etc... The result of this was that any parent in New Brunswick who wanted the best for their kid, put them in the French stream, just to ensure that their kids had the best group of motivated, able-minded kids and like-minded parents. NB has become so separated between English and French streams, that parents of kids in the English stream have lobbied to end immersion, as their kids are being left behind. There was a LOT of politics about French in NB. All that being said, I don't want to debate all of that here though, and just wanted to give you my limited experience with French Immersion.

One of my neighbours, who is a retired French Immersion teacher has told me not to enroll them in FI, as, according to her, the kids graduate with terrible French grammar and abilities, while their expertise in the English language is dreadfully lacking, especially when they enter English universities and do not have the English terminologies in science, mathematics, etc. Her advice is that when my kids want to learn a language, that I send them to learn in in the country or province where it's spoken, since in immersion, most kids never speak the language once they leave the school doors each day. I certainly support that thinking, and will have no trouble sending my girls to Spain (or Latin America) to learn Spanish, or China to learn Mandarin, etc. for a year or so before, after or during their university studies. Obviously, French, specifically is not a priority for me, but another language certainly is.

While I'm no scholar, I very much value proper use of the English language, and would hate to have my girls not sufficiently talented and proficient in their mother language. One of my girls is currently seeing a speech therapist in order to deal with some pronunciation (no, there's no such word as pronounciation) challenges, and sticking at least that kid into FI would, I fear stifle her progress. Her sister may stand a better chance. However, their current English-stream Junior Kindergarten teacher advises against FI as well, for both kids.

Obviously, French, specifically is not a priority for me, but another language certainly is, but not to the detriment of their English or overall education. I've already got them in music lessons, so they're learning a language of sort there, and certainly in countries like Switzerland, they're able to learn several languages at once, though I sense that education in Switzerland is somehow more intense and quickly culls out the glue eaters at the front door.

Anyway, I'd value your thoughts on French Immersion, as I need to make a decision within the next month or so. If I choose against FI, they can't try FI again until Grade 4, if then at all. Thx.

I was in extended from Grade Five, and perhaps that might be the best time to start. Since Kindergarten was all English, I never had any problems with pronunciation or developing my communication ability in English. It doesn't take away from English grammar and literature studies, so you can't go wrong in that sense. Science and math are taught in English. Students gain the ability to read and understand French, but speaking it is still challenging. I suspect that living in a predominantly French speaking region is the finest and perhaps the only way of achieving that. I'd trust the FI teacher, however getting them a head start with Extended French in Grade Five is a good idea.

For what it's worth, the students at my high school that has undergone FI in elementary had pretty poor grammar/spelling in both languages, but could speak French pretty well and had good vocabulary. I'm not sure that they were at any disadvantage in math or science. Those fields aren't really challenging in terms of terminology; if you can understand the underlying concepts, the terminology will follow.

I've heard that to a great extent, that in schools that have both, the students who can hack it, are in immersion, and the students who can't - aren't. Which ends up with sort of a pseudo-streaming.

Keep in mind that a motivated kid in core French (do they still call it that?) can do as good or better than an unmotivated kid in extended French.

I've heard that to a great extent, that in schools that have both, the students who can hack it, are in immersion, and the students who can't - aren't. Which ends up with sort of a pseudo-streaming.
that was certainly the case in New Brunswick, as parents who wanted their kids to be amoungst those that could "hack it" put them into the French stream to get their kids away from the demotivated, the challenged and of course the glue-eaters.

However, I don't think (or hope) that's the case in Toronto, since in the English programs we separate the lesser qualified kids early on into Basic and General streams, while move the smartest kids above the Advanced stream, up to Enriched streams. At least that's how it was when I left high school back in the 1990s.

all my friends who were in the French Immersion programs are excellent in french and english.. thinking now, I wish I was in their stream..

I certainly wish I went through French immersion when I had the chance. Learning a new language (especially French in this country) can only help... start sooner rather than later.

Keep in mind that a motivated kid in core French (do they still call it that?) can do as good or better than an unmotivated kid in extended French.

I disagree. My friend was at the top of the honour roll every single term in high school and graduated with an average north of 98. She pursued core French right through to OAC, and never got a mark below 97. By the end, her French was still extremely limited. Core just doesn't work. It's a complete and utter waste of time. That being said, students often graduate French immersion with a fairly limited grasp of the language, too. Going to live somewhere they speak the language is by far the most effective method of learning, if only because it increases the motivation. In a French immersion class, you're pretty uncool if you speak French all the time. If you're living in a French place, you're pretty uncool if you can't talk to anyone. French Immersion, though, provides an excellent base for expanding knowledge of a language through living overseas. As others have said, it also tends to attract the strongest students to its classes.

It's extraordinarily hasty to somehow dismiss French. As a Canadian, it's infinitely more useful than pretty much any other second language. It opens up doors to a fabulous number of employment opportunities in both the public and private sectors.

edit: Streaming only exists at the high school level, where there's Academic and Applied (and "Essential" in some school boards). Before that, pretty much everybody is together, unless they're in a magnet program like immersion.

I disagree. My friend was at the top of the honour roll every single term in high school and graduated with an average north of 98. She pursued core French right through to OAC, and never got a mark below 97. By the end, her French was still extremely limited. Core just doesn't work. It's a complete and utter waste of time.

Yes, it's a waste for most people because it's only useful for learning to read and write French, but I had a few friends that were more motivated and became fluent or almost fluent without taking extended courses. If we're going to decide this based on individual cases, there was one friend who spent barely a week in France and came back speaking it as good as most of the kids who had taken several years of extended French. She basically caught up to them in one week instead of 3 years. As you suggest, spending time in Quebec or France would be far more useful.

That's where the "motivation" comes into play...virtually no one speaks French outside of class, reads French books, watches French tv, etc., but core French plus activities outside of school can be just as effective as years of extended French; really, this is the only way to make core French work. We've been out of high school for a few years now...perhaps I'll make some inquiries to see if either the core or extended French kids actually retained anything (other than one who became, if memory serves me correctly, a French teacher).

My kids are entering Senior Kindergarten in September 2008, which has an optional French Immersion stream, which takes them all the way to Grade 8. So, my wife and I have to decide soon if we want them to enter the French immersion or English streams. What are your thoughts and experiences?

First of all, do you or your wife speak French? Do your children have friends who are fluent in that language? If not, then your kids will have a tougher time picking up the language. A school day only lasts so long, and kids will gravitate to speaking English in the school yard and beyond. Also, it is a little tough to do French homework when neither parent has a grasp of the language.

Granted, it would be excellent for your kids (or any other kids) to pick up a second language. But You should consider the warnings of your neighbour, the retired teacher. There is always a concern that both languages will suffer when one is emphasized, but generally not available for daily conversation beyond school; and the other is generally available for conversation, but given less emphasis as a primary language during the school day.

French immersion is a nice idea, but like many aspects of schooling, it can be fairly rigid when compared to the particularities of individual learners.

First of all, do you or your wife speak French? Do your children have friends who are fluent in that language? If not, then your kids will have a tougher time picking up the language. A school day only lasts so long, and kids will gravitate to speaking English in the school yard and beyond. Also, it is a little tough to do French homework when neither parent has a grasp of the language.
I've forgotten all my French, even with a six week immersion program in Chicoutami back in 1993 so that I could pass the one entry level French course my Poly Sci degree required. I have studied Spanish, but have also lost that through lack of use. My wife's the same, with just limited high school French. We'd definitely not be able to help with homework.

I do find it strange, if it's true, that in Toronto's French Immersion program, math and science are in English. How it that immersion? In New Brunswick, every course, from Art to Physics was in French.

I was in the French immersion stream from gr 7 to gr 12.

Before that I was in a completely French school, since my knowledge of English was extremely limited having moved from Geneva; mother switched me into immersion to learn better English, basically.

I noticed it all depends on the student. Some French Immersion students do extremely well, learn proper French and have no problem communicating in it. French is a difficult language, and had it not been for me learning it as a first language, I would have had trouble grasping those many, many changing grammatical rules. Learning Math in French is no problem, the words basically sound the same, so switching from French math in gr 8 to English math in gr 9 made no difference

French can only be an asset in this country; I'm glad I'm fluent in it. I highly recommend it, French Immersion students in my high school were known to do much better than English students.

Maybe a French school rather than immersion?

If you or your wife speak French, why not consider a French school? My sons went through primary and secondary public French schools in Toronto, graduated from College Francais. One went on to university in English, the other took a trades college diploma, and works bilingually. (In high school your child could get an International Baccalaureate (IB), a very useful diploma.)

You would not have to worry about their English as it is the dominant culture, and they will learn it like catching a cold.

Back