News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Yorkdale Shopping Centre

Yorkdale undergoing an 'expansion' (repurprosing of existing tenant space) to support significantly more luxury retail.

Retail-Insider has the details:

Ah good, more stores normal people can't afford.

Yorkdale is beautiful, but I rarely go because I can't afford to shop at 50% of the stores. And I'm well above average income.

Ah good, more stores normal people can't afford.

Yorkdale is beautiful, but I rarely go because I can't afford to shop at 50% of the stores. And I'm well above average income.

I don't mind paying for quality; but I find many luxury brands, not unlike many posh French wines are highly over-rated.

There may or may be a marginal gain in quality, but the mark-up often rises at 10x the rate of any gain.

There are some exceptions, of course.

There's something to be said for a $25USD pair of socks that comes with an unconditional lifetime guarantee, as oppose your more typically $10 pair you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of.

I don't mind paying for quality; but I find many luxury brands, not unlike many posh French wines are highly over-rated.

There may or may be a marginal gain in quality, but the mark-up often rises at 10x the rate of any gain.

There are some exceptions, of course.

There's something to be said for a $25USD pair of socks that comes with an unconditional lifetime guarantee, as oppose your more typically $10 pair you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of.

In anticipation of a celebratory meal in a fancy restaurant in Paris, more than a decade ago, I went to Harry Rosen at Yorkdale and bought a Ferragamo belt to go with the well-made suit I found at... Winners. It needed to be cut to size, so they measured my waist, and took it away for a few minutes. When they returned with it, they had me sign to confirm that it was obviously non returnable. When I got home, I realized the belt had not been cut, and I had to do it myself. And that was my last purchase at Harry Rosen!

In anticipation of a celebratory meal in a fancy restaurant in Paris, more than a decade ago, I went to Harry Rosen at Yorkdale and bought a Ferragamo belt to go with the well-made suit I found at... Winners. It needed to be cut to size, so they measured my waist, and took it away for a few minutes. When they returned with it, they had me sign to confirm that it was obviously non returnable. When I got home, I realized the belt had not been cut, and I had to do it myself. And that was my last purchase at Harry Rosen!

I'd be upset too. What a bunch of lazy, pompous, deceiving hacks.

With all of luxury stores in Yorkdale, I'd be interested to know how much of their volume is driven by more accessible luxury price point prodcuts - they just do a lot of them; vs. fewer sales in the $10k+ (per item) range. And I wonder if that's different than the Bloor shopper.

The % Arabica coffee shop still drawing crowds

20240128_134044.jpg

Lunar New Year decor at Yorkdale

20240128_134208.jpg
20240128_134326.jpg

Chanel store being reno'd

20240128_134335.jpg

Lots of changes at yorkdale currently
- Lululemon taking over arcteryx,
- Loro Piana signage in new luxury wing
- Sunglass hut replacing Craigs cookies
- Marc Jacobs taking over Furla space