News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

York University: Archives of Ontario (9s, Bregman and Hamann) COMPLETE

Oh that thing. I hear it'll be relaunched in February as Donaquonataratiritario - to anchor the former Ataratiri site at the mouth of the Don

The building looks a little....... dissapointing. Better than the Toronto Archives I guess!

While the location at York University sounds appropriate enough, I would have much prefered it being built somewhere along the Waterfront. The government already owns enough of the land and this could have been a nice landmark destination along the water.

Louroz

The building is planned to meet the Leadership in Energy and
Environment Design silver certification, a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings.

The development team includes the Plenary Group with Deutsche Bank as development lead, PCL, Bregman + Hamann Architects, Halsall Associates, Smith and Anderson Consulting Engineering, R.V. Anderson Associates, Aercoustics Engineering and Morguard.

"While the location at York University sounds appropriate enough, I would have much prefered it being built somewhere along the Waterfront."

From what I recall they were considering a move to the Canada malting silos (metronome) at one point. The provincial archives isn't really a destination for vistitors or indeed the average citizen so I'm not sure the waterfront would have been ideal. Downtown would have been best but York U seems quite appropriate as well.

"Since U of T showed no interest, the eager York was the obvious choice."

It's not science-related, so U of T would never waste land or space on something so trivial and unprofitable.

edit - but, yeah, York's a fine place for it. It seems York's going through their remaining plots of good/central land pretty fast, though.

Uof T probably would have been better, more accessable to the public and close to the legislature and other goverments ministries. They also recruit from Uof T's Archival Studies programme- one of only a few decent ones in Canada.

It's not trivial or unimportant by any means, it is afterall Canada's second largest archival repository. The location at York would place it closer to the AO's new storage facility in Bolton, but I'm not sure if that makes such a huge difference.

IMG_may-18-09-0060.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0062.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0063.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0064.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0065.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0066.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0072.jpg

IMG_may-18-09-0073.jpg

Wow, looks nice! =)
I didn't know Viva stations on YorkU property are red.

You think so? I thought it was a big disappointment. I'm glad the design, as is, was not built downtown. Even for YorkU (my school!) something nicer was warranted.

reminds me a little bit of 1 University Ave. I agree that its nothing spectacular, but its waaaay better than the building the Archives was housed in.

Nothing groundbreaking but pleasant enough, like the Corus building. At least this one wasn't supposed to be a touchstone for the remaking of a major Toronto precinct like the waterfront.

The Corus building looks 10X better then this ... you really need to see both in person. The glass on the large rectangular podium looks extremely cheep! The building from the 3rd floor above is only okay ...

Yikes.... it looks awkward and cheap, and that signage/decal/font is terrible. Oh man :(

Back