News   Jul 12, 2024
 980     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Please show your work. I sure hope you wouldn't just go posting empty hyperbole on the internet.

To be fair, the 102D's headways are pretty crap.

I pulled this from yrt.ca's site for Saturday.

RT 102D to Anderson 8:09a
RT 102D to Anderson 9:04a
RT 102D to Anderson 9:59a
RT 102D to Anderson 10:54a
RT 102D to Anderson 12:00p
RT 102D to Anderson 1:03p
RT 102D to Anderson 2:01p
RT 102D to Anderson 2:56p
RT 102D to Anderson 3:53p
RT 102D to Anderson 4:50p
RT 102D to Anderson 5:47p
RT 102D to Anderson 6:44p
RT 102D to Anderson 7:36p
RT 102D to Anderson 8:32p
RT 102D to Anderson 9:28p
RT 102D to Anderson 10:23p
RT 102D to Anderson 11:18p

That's abysmal even by YRT standards.
Weekdays is a little better with 30 minute frequencies.

If I was living in along the route, I wouldn't take the 102D.

Last edited:
It's all subjective. Is a rush-hour only route with two or three runs the worst? Or an infrequent route serving exurbia (like the 58 Mount Albert, with buses every 60-100 minutes on weekdays only, with a one-way dial-a-ride van on Saturdays)? Or a bus serving a major corridor with a horrible schedule?

Yes, one of my long-standing beefs with YRT is that while they're spending lots of capital on fancy median busways, they're afraid of spending operating revenue on running buses. Neither Mississauga nor Brampton (the peer transit systems to YRT) are anything to get excited about, but neither would have hourly service on a route like Markham Road. Probably half-hourly at worst.

Brampton Transit's worst non-rush hour routes are likely the 8 Centre (every 30 minutes peak, 45 minutes off peak, 7 days a week, a collector route through 30-40 year old established neighbourhoods) or the 56 Springbrook, half-hourly weekdays, hourly evenings and weekends, largely through new partially-inhabited subdivisions)

Yeah, the NFTA (Buffalo-Niagara Falls) system has some really bad schedules on major corridors. But that's how it is in many, if not most, second, third and fourth tier US cities.

Last edited:
this is new...you create an account just to bash a route that isnt even operated by yrt....oyea nice username too

please be constructive with your comments and refrain from wasting time and bandwidth...

Well, it is under contract to YRT. YRT pays the TTC to operate its bus here, and writes the schedule for the route.

Oddly. using Google Maps the route is showing a detour along 14th, Box Grove, and Highway 7. However both YRT and TTC network maps show it staying on Markham the entire way. The TTC page for the 102 also shows the route staying on Markham, though the YRT page for the route shows the detour. However the TTC trip planner shows the detour, but the YRT one does not! I don't frequent that part of town very often, does anyone know what is going on there?

From what I can tell, it seems like an excellent candidate for a route to operate under YRT. There is plenty along Markham Rd between Steeles and Major Mackenzie to support a local bus route, especially more than every hour. Likewise I question how many are taking the bus all the way to Warden station. Most in this area heading downtown I'd assume are taking the GO train or bus. Operate a local YRT bus between Mt. Joy and Centennial College, which is a far more logical terminal point.

Well, it is under contract to YRT. YRT pays the TTC to operate its bus here, and writes the schedule for the route.

Oddly. using Google Maps the route is showing a detour along 14th, Box Grove, and Highway 7. However both YRT and TTC network maps show it staying on Markham the entire way. The TTC page for the 102 also shows the route staying on Markham, though the YRT page for the route shows the detour. However the TTC trip planner shows the detour, but the YRT one does not! I don't frequent that part of town very often, does anyone know what is going on there?

The bridge over the Rouge between the 407 and 7 was closed for some time due to a full rebuild.

Also, you can count me in as someone who would use this route, at least occasionally, if the headways were better. I'm on Main Street/Markham Rd. frequently and these buses are the rarest of unicorns.

The bridge over the Rouge between the 407 and 7 was closed for some time due to a full rebuild.

Also, you can count me in as someone who would use this route, at least occasionally, if the headways were better. I'm on Main Street/Markham Rd. frequently and these buses are the rarest of unicorns.

Is the bridge still closed? And if not, why wasn't regular routing resumed (assuming it has not been)?

Buses may still be diverting since it's open but there is still significant construction on the new third lane.

My wife and I use the 102D semi-regularly. There is no diversion: it is going directly up Markham Road. The detour ended in December 2014. While it is not the worst bus service ever ever ever, it is pretty damn bad. Highly irregular service, plus double fare helps keep usage to those who have no other choice. It says something when we regularly compare it to our nearest YRT route (#2) and the YRT service comes out better. Neither YRT or the TTC has their heart in the route, and it shows. I dream of the day when the TTC thinks a bus actually serving passengers in Toronto is worth more than the shekels they get from York Region, and cuts back the 102D to Steeles, forcing York Region to run a Markham Road route. Hopefully, such a change would come with more frequent service north to Steeles. While you wouldn't think it, Markham and Steeles has the potential to become an impressive little transit hub. The 53s are well-used, and I believe one of the most popular bus routes on the system. A more frequent connection to the subway (even if it is Warden, which is stuck in a time warp accessibility-wise) would be highly valued, I think.

To be fair, the 102D's headways are pretty crap.

I pulled this from yrt.ca's site for Saturday.

RT 102D to Anderson 8:09a
RT 102D to Anderson 9:04a
RT 102D to Anderson 9:59a
RT 102D to Anderson 10:54a
RT 102D to Anderson 12:00p
RT 102D to Anderson 1:03p
RT 102D to Anderson 2:01p
RT 102D to Anderson 2:56p
RT 102D to Anderson 3:53p
RT 102D to Anderson 4:50p
RT 102D to Anderson 5:47p
RT 102D to Anderson 6:44p
RT 102D to Anderson 7:36p
RT 102D to Anderson 8:32p
RT 102D to Anderson 9:28p
RT 102D to Anderson 10:23p
RT 102D to Anderson 11:18p

That's abysmal even by YRT standards.
Weekdays is a little better with 30 minute frequencies.

If I was living in along the route, I wouldn't take the 102D.

That is why YRT is a bullshit.

My wife and I use the 102D semi-regularly. There is no diversion: it is going directly up Markham Road. The detour ended in December 2014. While it is not the worst bus service ever ever ever, it is pretty damn bad. Highly irregular service, plus double fare helps keep usage to those who have no other choice. It says something when we regularly compare it to our nearest YRT route (#2) and the YRT service comes out better. Neither YRT or the TTC has their heart in the route, and it shows. I dream of the day when the TTC thinks a bus actually serving passengers in Toronto is worth more than the shekels they get from York Region, and cuts back the 102D to Steeles, forcing York Region to run a Markham Road route. Hopefully, such a change would come with more frequent service north to Steeles. While you wouldn't think it, Markham and Steeles has the potential to become an impressive little transit hub. The 53s are well-used, and I believe one of the most popular bus routes on the system. A more frequent connection to the subway (even if it is Warden, which is stuck in a time warp accessibility-wise) would be highly valued, I think.

Read this: http://worstsurfaceroutes.blogspot.ca/2015/03/here-are-top-10-ttcs-worst-surface.html

Back