News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 823     0 

Yonge-Steeles corridor study

No plans for Centerpoint that I know of but once heard a rumour Menkes approached the mall owners with a proposal for 5 comdos and new retail on the site. If you look at the link for Toronto's Yonge North plans, Toronto will llow 40 stories on this site. I don't think it will be long before some plans emerge.

I see from the vughan reports that an application for increased density at 100 Steeles W. Has been received. While the building, ironically called Yorkville North has no redeming features for is design or suitabiliy in the urban realm, my number one dimsum and pho restaurants are there. Maybe I should fight the development?

Why does this thread also include something about Jane and Highway 7? Seems kind of random!

Canarob You started this thread 6 years ago. Not sure why it was included?

Don't remember including the bit about Jane, but who knew what I was thinking back then! :D

I just took a quick scan through the thread to see if I could find the Jane + Hwy 7 reference, and I didn't see it. I have taken that reference out of the title.

Updates to the Secondary Plan for this area. Maximum heights increased to 35 storeys where office component is included. Some alterations to the street grid and parks.
http://www.vaughan.ca/council/minutes_agendas/AgendaItems/CW1201_15_14.pdf

Notable is the updated phased development numbers for Yonge Street between Cummer and Clark.
14,000 new residents Pre Subway (Toronto 7340 York 6525)
41,000 new residents post subway (Toronto 21,470 York 19,642)

The Study Identified a Number of Key Conclusions and Recommendations The following emerged from the study in regard to the future of the Yonge-Steeles area.
• The Yonge Subway Extension is the most critical element as it plays a very important role in providing increased transit capacity for local residents and employees.
• The Yonge Subway Extension will help shape new development into more compact and walkable forms.
• Recognizes the need for phasing provisions in the absence of secured funding and definitive construction timelines for the Yonge Subway Extension
• Recommends a development threshold for a pre-subway and post-subway extension.
Once a pre-subway population limit is reached it will trigger a further infrastructure capacity review to ensure the necessary level of transportation infrastructure is in place at the time of redevelopment

Some major growth planned. Subway extension getting more and more necessary.

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.13.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.13.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.13.06 PM.png
    480.5 KB · Views: 500
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.58 PM.png
    302 KB · Views: 476
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.42 PM.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 496
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at Thursday Dec 3, 2015 12.12.28 PM.png
    883.4 KB · Views: 484
Why ? Building condos in no way equates to increased demand on ridership (or very loosely does, even if all these condos are built) ... I think that's a huge misconception; Are the majority working downtown ? Ok in that case sure, if not, I doubt it; The sheppard like is a very good example of this.

Ridership on sheppard has doubled since opening.. its still very low, but it has doubled from all the condos.

All the condo construction in NYCC has resulted in significantly increased Yonge ridership in the last 15 years as well. A single condo won't overload a subway line, but when you build 20 of them, it certainly has an effect.

Why ? Building condos in no way equates to increased demand on ridership (or very loosely does, even if all these condos are built) ... I think that's a huge misconception; Are the majority working downtown ? Ok in that case sure, if not, I doubt it; The sheppard like is a very good example of this.

Keep in mind already huge amount of transit rider volume along Yonge Corridor between Finch to Steeles an Steeles to Highway 7 via all the buses from TTC, Viva, YorkRegion and GO using this stretch of Yonge Street to get to Finch Station,... extending the Yonge Subway line northward and thus the terminus station further north to Steeles or Highway 7 or RichmondHillCentre would surely benefit 905ers more,.... that's why Toronto taxpayers have been hessitate to pay,.. especially since it'll mean even more 905ers on our already over-capacity Yonge subway line,.... thus it never got extended further than Finch station which opened in 1974,.... 41 years later, Yonge & Finch is now basically the centre of the GTA when you look at population distribution,....

Ridership on sheppard has doubled since opening.. its still very low, but it has doubled from all the condos.

All the condo construction in NYCC has resulted in significantly increased Yonge ridership in the last 15 years as well. A single condo won't overload a subway line, but when you build 20 of them, it certainly has an effect.

Over the last 15 years in NYCC,.... 60 condo towers opened VS 1 office tower,.... guess where the majority these people are working,... definitely not locally,.... they drive or use transit like subway to get to work,.....

I live in the Yonge Steeles area and I if need to go to Canada Revenue offices I go to North York Centre. If need to renew my passport, I go to Yonge and Sheppard. If I need to renew my Health Card I go to Yonge and Sheppard. Mt dentist is located at Yonge and Eglinton. My lawyer at Yonge and Finch. There is plenty of opportunity for me to use a Subway in the Yonge corridor without ever going anywhere near downtown.

I live in the Yonge Steeles area and I if need to go to Canada Revenue offices I go to North York Centre. If need to renew my passport, I go to Yonge and Sheppard. If I need to renew my Health Card I go to Yonge and Sheppard. Mt dentist is located at Yonge and Eglinton. My lawyer at Yonge and Finch. There is plenty of opportunity for me to use a Subway in the Yonge corridor without ever going anywhere near downtown.

So, once every 5 years for everything but your dentist?

Back