News   Jul 15, 2024
 132     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

The photos are out of sequence. My photo without the brackets is newer. The whole thing is in the process of being disassembled and I just noticed that your variance notice is from 2017. I completely misunderstood the order of all these renderings and photos. We might be getting a full screen after all.

This discussion was already had in the 10 Dundas East thread, where I made the same assumption a few weeks ago and was corrected.

Last edited:
I’ve heard from Cllr Wong Tam’s office that city staff will be reporting to City Council early next year on the options for a pedestrian focused Yonge St. One likely option is that Yonge will be closed to cars south of Dundas to Queen. This would extend Yonge-Dundas Sq. towards the Eaton Centre, merging the plaza out in front with the existing square.

Closing traffic north of Dundas to Gerrard is also being considered.

Other options being looked into: heated sidewalks, year round patios and redesigning the square itself. I like the square as it is with the exception of the stage. That was supremely screwed up with design by committee deviating from the design.

e46-ydsquare-legend-04-jpg.111124

There should be more seating in the square. Whenever there isn’t an event, it should be filled with chairs and tables. The was the original intent but gradually, you stopped seeing that setup. They just don’t bother anymore.

Last edited:
I’ve heard from Cllr Wong Tam’s office that city staff will be reporting to City Council early next year on the options for a pedestrian focused Yonge St. One likely option is that Yonge will be closed to cars south of Dundas to Queen. This would extend Yonge-Dundas Sq. towards the Eaton Centre, merging the plaza out in front with the existing square.

Other options being looked into: heated sidewalks, year round patios and redesigning the square itself. I like the square as it is with the exception of the stage. That was supremely screwed up with design by committee deviating from the design.

e46-ydsquare-legend-04-jpg.111124

There should be more seating in the square. Whenever there isn’t an event, it should be filled with chairs and tables. The was the original intent but gradually, you stopped seeing that setup. They just don’t bother anymore.

I like the idea of closing Yonge from Dundas to cars. That is actually a really good idea both in terms of pedestrian safety.

Heated sidewalks are a huge plus if they get in but as with all things they are expensive to run all the time. They would however be a good idea throughout downtown (not just on a section of Yonge) as the sidewalks are too narrow to permit plows.

I am hoping that they go with this option (below), but I have a feeling that the priority is almost entirely on pedestrians.

Something to consider is that the city's bike plan calls for bike lanes along the entirely of Yonge Street. If built, or even just partially built, this street will have one of the highest volumes of cyclists in the whole city. If the Dundas to Queen section is given over only to pedestrians, that's not gonna stop cyclists from using it anyway. But without a dedicated space for them, they will be just be endangering pedestrians instead as they aggressively weave their way through crowds of people. This could be a problem.

Something to consider is that the city's bike plan calls for bike lanes along the entirely of Yonge Street. If built, or even just partially built, this street will have one of the highest volumes of cyclists in the whole city. If the Dundas to Queen section is given over only to pedestrians, that's not gonna stop cyclists from using it anyway. But without a dedicated space for them, they will be just be endangering pedestrians instead as they aggressively weave their way through crowds of people. This could be a problem.

With adequate signage demanding that cyclists dismount it should not be an issue. If they are told to dismount and walk their bike but don't it is not anyone's fault but theirs if they ride into someone.

Are these pedestrianizing plans taking into account things like the Pride parade and other similar uses?

At minimum they could drop Yonge down to one lane in each direction. I’m okay with full pedestrianization but I don’t see the point without thoughtful street detailing and programming. Just painting some lines on the road and saying here you go is dumber than the status quo.

"It's their fault" would be of no comfort to any innocent pedestrian that gets hurt.

My point was if a cyclist is told to dismount, does not and takes out a crowd of people it is their own fault and the pants should be sued off of them.

Not exactly Dundas Square (but close enough). The screen above the former Forever 21 building is about half installed.

It's a little over half as tall as the one above the former Hard Rock building.

View attachment 220089

You got the right thread. The Yonge Dundas thread is used to talk about signage and stores around the square.

Thanks for sharing this. I was going to go check it out myself.

The media tower should be reoriented diagonally towards the square. The existing tower was built before the Eaton Centre put up their own tower and blocked the view from the south.

Back