News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

(Yonge) Dundas Square comes of age - Does it need a new name?

... in the same way perhaps that we shouldn't dismiss all who vote for Harper as racist right-wing nutjobs?!

Yes. Calling your average Conservative-voting person a Nazi would be a mistake.

(Those people just prefer a Canada that ignores its citizens abroad, that ignores infrastructure funding, that tried to make harming a fetus illegal, that subsidized the oil-sands, that would've gone to Iraq, that would've gotten rid of the right to marry to many Canadians, that bribes dying MPs, that calls a coalition government a "coup d'etat", that runs attack ad after attack ad without offering any real good policy, that did reckless cuts to the GST which drove the country into deficit. :p Those would be reasonable critiques of those people.)

^

The average Canadian who holds respect or voted for Trudeau (a great deal of people, I might add) shouldn't be tossed into the same category as fringe groups.

Agreed, that would be wrong.

Instead, toss them into the category of blind partisans that support an imploded corrupt regime that thieved from the pockets of tax-paying Canadians and exploited a very fundamental confidence in government and civil service, that consistently raises taxes while dangerously downloading services to the provinces, that blatantly tells lies about the taxes it promises to repeal but doesn't (hello little red book), that ignores the military and all national infrastructure to dangerous levels while still opting to send them overseas on missions, and that ignores the crumbling infrastructure of Toronto because it arrogantly takes for granted it will walk away will all the votes here anyway. Hey this game is fun:D

Tweder great assessment.

However....

I still prefer the Chretien years over now.

He did a good job from 1993-1997.

After that he just chilled. :D

Lordmandeep, honestly I'm not sure it can be objectively determined which sins are the more unforgivable ones. My last few posts here are really just to poke at Urbanboom for being so melodramatically partisan. At a certain point we have to open our eyes and cut through the rhetoric and party spin. A one-party system is not good for the country. All parties are 'political'. No one party is likely to destroy the nation in a term or two but the sort of unchecked political empires we like to create in Canada through idealistic partisanship are far more dangerous, Toronto is a fine example of how we shoot ourselves in the foot through unchallenged political allegiance.

Lordmandeep, honestly I'm not sure it can be objectively determined which sins are the more unforgivable ones. My last few posts here are really just to poke at Urbanboom for being so melodramatically partisan. At a certain point we have to open our eyes and cut through the rhetoric and party spin. A one-party system is not good for the country. All parties are 'political'. No one party is likely to destroy the nation in a term or two but the sort of unchecked political empires we like to create in Canada through idealistic partisanship are far more dangerous, Toronto is a fine example of how we shoot ourselves in the foot through unchallenged political allegiance.

Alas, the humour was lost on this one. Perhaps a few more :Ds or :ps or perhaps even a :rolleyes: was needed in my post.

But nonetheless, thank you for the moral, Aesop. One can hope that my "melodramatic partisanship" will subside. To retain the moral highground, I won't go on a rant about people who live in glass houses and the throwing of stones.

Has anybody noticed that they changed the video screens in Dundas Square? They made them half the size but the quality of the picture is much better. On the other half, they put up a Yonge - Dundas Square sign. So half the size but clearer picture, I guess that's not a bad trade off.

I flirted with buying a boldly - nay, loudly - patterned shirt last Saturday, when the souq-like Square was awash in African-themed merchandise and my head was spinning with possibilities.

I flirted with buying a boldly - nay, loudly - patterned shirt last Saturday, when the souq-like Square was awash in African-themed merchandise and my head was spinning with possibilities.

With suicide-gray pants, you'd be a walking TLS!

You raise an interesting point. The same people who fawn over Trudeau are the same people who refer to the Taliban suicide bombers as freedom fighters. The hypocrisy on the left knows no bounds.

I know it's been said already, but given that a number of people here on this thread have expressed admiration for Trudeau, it's really inappropriate to suggest that we all refer to Taliban suicide bombers as freedom fighters. It's hard to take any of your comments seriously or at face value when you make such accusations.

Timothy Eaton Square would be an appropriate name for that location.

What a shame it was never named Timothy Eaton Square, or Eaton Square I really like that and it's quite fitting. In the end any potential name change will be paid naming rights such as Rogers Square or the like.

Or Eaton-Simpson Square, in honour of the two retail titans who did battle for decades just down the street.

Alas, the humour was lost on this one. Perhaps a few more :Ds or :ps or perhaps even a :rolleyes: was needed in my post.

But nonetheless, thank you for the moral, Aesop. One can hope that my "melodramatic partisanship" will subside. To retain the moral highground, I won't go on a rant about people who live in glass houses and the throwing of stones.

A smiley icon isn't free license to say unchallenged things. Apologies if the choice of term 'melodramatic' has wounded you, I will retract it most respectfully ... and La Fontaine is definitely more like it:)

Yonge/Dundas Square: Eaton Square?

Wylie: I noticed that pic of Yonge/Dundas Square and I thought "How would this sound: EATON SQUARE?" - but will people confuse it with the adjacent
Eaton Centre? Would "Dundas Square" work?
...Thoughts from LI MIKE

Back